Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM #1
folger
914th GIR

folger is playing at Living Legends V
folger is playing at Living Legends VI
folger is playing at Living Legends VII
folger owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Six foot tall, two hundred and sixty five pounds

So I need some tips everyone, as the title says, I am six foot tall and two hundred and sixty five pounds. I am only 19 and I am trying to lose some weight for tournament paintball.

What should I be doing? I am currently going to the gym and running at least a mile everyday while doing some minor lifting (I know this builds weight, I just want to lose the fat.) but I am getting hardly any results after three weeks of this. Do any of you have a diet that you've done that worked?

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Overkill Paintball Team
folger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM #2
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
If you're dead set on losing weight, there's some very aggressive diets out there that are safe. My wife went through bariatric surgery, and the diets she's been on as part of that really do work. You could get in touch with a support group for those programs and get nutritional tips through them.

However, it's not mandatory to lose weight to play tournament paintball. I hate to bring this thread back up, but these guys do very well on the field.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM #3
folger
914th GIR

Thanks, I am just trying to get better longevity when it comes to holding crouch positions and a reduction in body size for those tight spots.

Overkill Paintball Team
Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM #4
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Keep in mind one thing: You weigh a lot, you're going to have a lot more kinetic energy moving at the same speed as someone lighter. In paintball, joint injuries are common going from full sprint to a complete stop at 150-180lbs puts a lot of pressure on the joints. If you push yourself too hard you could end up injuring yourself for life. So, you should avoid sprints and slides if at all possible.

Have you considered cycling? With paintball you can only go once or twice a week and its going to be very expensive. Even if you do lose the weight via diet you're going to rebound if you don't have the muscle to burn it off. As you start to diet your body is going to perceive it as a drought and begin hording energy. Which is why exercise always goes with dieting. Paintball won't build muscle fast enough.
Have you considered bicycling? Cycling works out the muscles you will use in paintball, and you can do it all week.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM #5
swatstylez
A Dom.Rep Canuck

play back or mid. Mostly stand up bunkers and nothing to tight like a snake. Your height will give you a better advantage playing back.. or starting as a back to back mid player.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post78185668
swatstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM #6
MooKids

MooKids has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MooKids has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
What is your current diet?
MooKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM #7
parasyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooKids View Post
This is definitely the most important bit of info. If you're eating junk food you'll get junk results; make sure to follow a balanced diet that still gives you enough fuel to reach your goals each day.

Also I want to put out there that "at least a mile every day" is not very far. Even a 10k is considered a short distance in running circles and while it's too far to go every day (unless you're training for a half or longer run), once you've been working out for a month or two doing a 5k every day or every other day should be easy peasy.

I'll echo the cycling mention as well; 10-20 miles each day is pretty easy but will burn a pretty good amount of Calories. I was doing that for a while and I really should pick it up again.

"Minor lifting" is not particularly specific. At your size more than minor lifting won't gain you any weight except in the very short term, after which you should be losing weight faster due to the increased muscle mass.

All of this is easily sabotaged by diet, however.
parasyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM #8
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by folger View Post
but I am getting hardly any results after three weeks of this. !
It takes the human body awhile to figure out what's going on, but once it realizes that the stress of running is going to be a constant one, you'll start dropping weight quickly.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM #9
folger
914th GIR

Thanks for the tips everyone, I am going to be looking into cycling, with my weight I have already developed a nasty shin splint, one of the reasons I haven't pushed myself more. I would like for it to heal before going at it again so I don't cause permanent damage. The cycling seems like a lower impact alternative to running, is this the truth?

My diet is a work in progress, I got in this state because of my love for food, not really junk food just large amounts of food. I guess this can be considered my acknowledgement of a problem. I am just working on will power at this point, all a mental game.

Overkill Paintball Team

Last edited by folger : 02-07-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM #10
FriendlyNudist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooKids View Post
This: I lost 45 pounds through diet alone. I ate a lean crusine for lunch, a lean cruisine for dinner and snacked on raw broccoli and celery whenever I was hungry (which was often). I wouldn't recommend this route (in fact, I later found out it was kind of dangerous), but it did work. My advise is to definitely exercise as much as you can, but take a hard look at your calorie intake.
FriendlyNudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM #11
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
Quote:
So I need some tips everyone, as the title says, I am six foot tall and two hundred and sixty five pounds. I am only 19 and I am trying to lose some weight for tournament paintball.

What should I be doing? I am currently going to the gym and running at least a mile everyday while doing some minor lifting (I know this builds weight, I just want to lose the fat.) but I am getting hardly any results after three weeks of this. Do any of you have a diet that you've done that worked?

Eat you food. But quarter it. Drink water. Cut your starches and otherwise fatty foods with protein. Be it low sugar shakes or lean meats. You need roughage. Spinach lettuce celery and the like. I was 330 about 6 months ago an right niw im straddling 285.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM #12
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
How much soda do you drink? Monster? Other energy drinks? Cut that stuff out, it'll help a ton.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM #13
folger
914th GIR

I've went to a strictly water, which just in itself has made me feel much better. The diet is the biggest factor right now, my plan is to add more roughage like Jonotwist suggested.

Thanks everyone, I am amazed by all this feed back

Overkill Paintball Team
Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM #14
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone, I am going to be looking into cycling, with my weight I have already developed a nasty shin splint, one of the reasons I haven't pushed myself more. I would like for it to heal before going at it again so I don't cause permanent damage. The cycling seems like a lower impact alternative to running, is this the truth?

My diet is a work in progress, I got in this state because of my love for food, not really junk food just large amounts of food. I guess this can be considered my acknowledgement of a problem. I am just working on will power at this point, all a mental game.

One of the best things for prevention of shin splints is to change the surface you are running on constantly. When training I try to change it every day; day one might be a road run, the next day I'll stick to the dirt; day 3 on a track, etc.
Running on grass and dirt is the best thing possible for shin splints other than ice, but doing it too much puts stress on your IT band and increases the risk of rolling an ankle. Instead of using a treadmill or going on sidewalks, go on the sliver of grass next tot he sidewalk or find some trails (Hiking trails work nice for distance, and motocross/biking trails make for excellent sprint-then-jog-repeat workouts thanks to the hills)

Also, compression is a shin-splint's best friend. Ace bandage and ice can work wonder. My track coach would refuse to let anyone sit out just for shinsplits, so I would sometimes have to do 20+ mile weeks with them, if you need any more tips let me know.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM #15
folger
914th GIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyvanth View Post
One of the best things for prevention of shin splints is to change the surface you are running on constantly. When training I try to change it every day; day one might be a road run, the next day I'll stick to the dirt; day 3 on a track, etc.
Running on grass and dirt is the best thing possible for shin splints other than ice, but doing it too much puts stress on your IT band and increases the risk of rolling an ankle. Instead of using a treadmill or going on sidewalks, go on the sliver of grass next tot he sidewalk or find some trails (Hiking trails work nice for distance, and motocross/biking trails make for excellent sprint-then-jog-repeat workouts thanks to the hills)

Also, compression is a shin-splint's best friend. Ace bandage and ice can work wonder. My track coach would refuse to let anyone sit out just for shinsplits, so I would sometimes have to do 20+ mile weeks with them, if you need any more tips let me know.
I am so glad to hear that last part, I kept getting mixed answers about how much to push the shin splints. Now that I know I can do it I can feel comfortable still pushing myself, it wasn't the pain causing me to stop it was the fear of causing permanent damage. haha

Overkill Paintball Team
Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 AM #16
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Quote:
I am so glad to hear that last part, I kept getting mixed answers about how much to push the shin splints. Now that I know I can do it I can feel comfortable still pushing myself, it wasn't the pain causing me to stop it was the fear of causing permanent damage. haha
Well there are really a thousand different levels of shinsplints. Listen to your body, sometimes shin splints aren't just cause by overuse; often they can come from improper running position, improper stride, a wrong shoe fit, etc.

The best thing would be to go to a store somewhere near you that ONLY sells running shoes, not a big name store. You want a store that's only dedicated to running, so that you can talk to the employees about your issue and see what they think. Most of the people that work at these stores are excellent runners, so much so that they chose to make working at a store like that their job, and thus you'll get some great tips. Often they'll even watch you run a little so that they can give you tips on your stride and running form.

I went to a store like that and they kept me from getting an injury; the guy at the store could tell from my running stride that my shoe was over-supportive and was not correct for my running form.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 AM #17
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
The G I (Glycemic Index) Diet has worked for me. It's simple, it works, you won't feel hungry, and most importantly, it's healthy. There is probably not a doctor in the world that would say it wasn't healthy.
http://www.gidiet.com/
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 AM #18
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:

Running a mile is not enough to have much of an effect. For cardio training, you need to spend a MINIMUM of 20 minutes 5 X each week at around 60% of your maximum heart rate. Think, breathing significantly hard for a sustained 20 minutes. It's better if you can do 30 minutes, every day of the week -- The weight will come off faster. I recommend a bike to start with, as it will not be hard on your joints. Personally, when summer rolls around, all of my exercise comes from mountain biking, where I get MUCH more of a workout than I can possibly achieve in a gym, while having a BLAST. If that's not an option, switch to running when more of your weight comes off; it's a more time-efficient way to burn calories, since your heart rate will generally stay at a consistently high level.

As for weight lifting, I'm not convinced that it's a great way to lose weight, the way most people do it, anyway. When I go to the gym, I try to go when it's the least crowded so I can quickly go from one lift to another without any rest. I do medium weights with high reps; at least 8-10 reps for 3 sets. My heart rate goes up and stays up when I do this, which produces additional calorie-expenditure.

But finally, as others have stated -- if you're not doing hellacious workouts every day, it will all be undermined by a poor diet.

**It is quite easy to take in enough calories in 2 minutes of binge candy/soda/junkfood-eating to make it impossible for a net loss for the day.**

One standard bag of M&Ms can be eaten in one mouthful. That bag contains 250 calories, most of which are fat calories. There is no nutritional value in that bag, meaning almost none of it contributes to helping your body work. It takes about 20 minutes on a treadmill or exercise bike to burn off that 250 calories. Most people that eat junk food eat FAR MORE than the equivalent of one bag of M&Ms each day...

Is that starting to give you a picture? Another bad one is soda. Some people consume GALLONS of pop per week. Those are thousands of calories per week that don't even fight hunger, and actually dehydrate you if they are caffeinated.

Your best bet is to eat a diet rich in protein and vegetables/fruit. The protein gives you what you need and fights hunger. Hope that helps.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 02-09-2013 at 10:06 AM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM #19
sean665

"If you want to change your weight-diet, if you want to change your body-workout" Very true! What will work the best, and fastest, is to combine dieting and a routine that mixes cardio and strenght training. If you want to lift to burn fat keep the reps high and the load lighter, with less rest between sets.

The set-up for the fastest results in the gym will be a circuit style routine that mixes running or jump rope into each circuit with a full body appraoch. Example:
100 rope turns
dumbbell deadlifts 10x
dumbell bench press 10x
dumbell shoulder press 10x
weighted crunch 10x
repeat 4 more times, end with 100 rope turns

No rest between exercises and only a minute or 2 between circuits. This will keep your body burning calories in recovery mode from the weight lifting even the next day. I would do this circuit 3x a week and do straight cardio for at least 30 min 2 days a week in between these workouts.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 PM #20
Buster Hymen

Meth. .........just saying!!!

p.s...........not real advice.
Buster Hymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 PM #21
MooKids

MooKids has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MooKids has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'll be honest, I used to have problems too. Right now I'm 6'4" and 270, I used to weigh 315!

What helped was what a lot of people said, cut out sugary drinks, even the diet ones are bad for you now and have more fiber. Metamucil is a good idea, FDA approved to lower cholesterol, if that is a problem.

Keep in mind that paintball is a cardio-endurance sport, so cardio is a must! I have my own workout plan that seems to work, I just have to get my *** to the gym more often, fortunately I just got my girlfriend to join me, so we can go together (don't ask how long that took...) and I have more incentive to go.

For my upper body workout, I do 30 minutes on the eliptical (sp) on the hill setting, followed by 3 sets of 15 reps on my upper body and back muscles. Lower body I do 30 minutes on the treadmill, hill setting again, alternating between walking fast and running and once again 3 sets of 15 reps for leg and ab muscles. For my cardio, and this helped a LOT, start swimming!

To give you an idea of how effective it is, I started one summer and the first time I did it, I lasted two laps . But I kept going, building up my endurance until I was able to do 50 at a time. After I got to that point, I went back to the eliptical and treadmill and was shocked to find my heart rate went down 20 points at the same intensity I did before.

As for why I do the hill setting for my cardio warm ups, your body will get used to running at the same speed and you won't see much improvement. By changing speed, intensity and incline throughout the workout, you can improve cardio performance a lot more.
MooKids is offline   Reply With Quote