PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM #1
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Lightbulb Grease Rant. What to use, what not to use and how often.

Lately there have been some debates about DP spoolies and grease. What to use, what not to use.. and what you can use but is not the best option.

We have covered this topic OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and I know the questions will continue to be asked as time goes on but sense everyone is currently thinking about it, I will post about it.

What grease not to use unless you like it when your gun gives you problems

- DP-40 (this is not called dow44, dow40 or whatever. It is DP40). In the past, bolt stick, fsdo, and guns not even working have been cured when the user STOPPED using this grease. Chuck found a big efficiency gain when he first got his spec r a while ago AFTER he switched to a different grease.

- Dow55. This grease probably works better than the dp40 despite the fact that it swells orings to create a seal. The only time you are required to use dow55 is with Bob Long poppet guns.. and even then you dont HAVE to use it but for warranty reasons it is required and it wont hurt the performance of your bob long gun. Chances are if you are reading this, you dont have a bob long gun anyways so stay away from dow55. Its not needed for your DP gun.

Grease to avoid but will probably work just fine

- Hater Sauce. Tends to be on the thick side, try to avoid this.
- Killa grease or whatever it is called, also tends to be on the thicker side.
- Oil. NO OIL. DONT USE OIL. Especially BABY OIL. The Tech PB Idiot who said to use OIL also has an inconsistent shooting gun. Do you want a working gun or a non working gun? Ask that to your self when you decide to use oil on the bolt.

Grease recommended by people who always have working DP guns because they know what they are doing!

- Violent PB jelly - My favorite, has teflon in it to help keep it where you put it. I use it on everything from my G3 to my luxe to my Alien markers. Works great and lasts pretty long.

- Monkey Poo - works great for DP guns, stays where you put it and smells good

- Lurker Lube - Best bang for your buck grease. Works just fine for DP guns. I use this on all my friends guns because its cheep and i tend to tech ALOT of guns. It has served me well for 3+ years.

- Techt Gun sav - Similar to the above greases, thin enough to use on a spool bolt and stays where you put it.

Other greases can be used too, if you are unsure, just ask. You dont even have to post a thread, PM me or ask in the DPOT thread. We wont bite

How often should I grease my bolt?

You should grease the night before you play, make sure to test for your marker as well. Dont get caught at the field greasing your gun and finding problems.

I like to grease after each case of paint, if you like to shoot more than one case a day, take 3min out and grease your bolt. I have been told things like "Dow33 will last 5 cases". NOT ON A G SERIES GUN IT WONT. Grease after each case. Dont get stuck mid game with bolt stick because you forgot to grease after your first case of paint. DP bolts tend to spit the lube off over time. To avoid any issues, grease every 2000 shots! Some greases might last more than 2000 but why risk it? It is called preventive maintenance, its the same as changing the oil in your car.

How often should I grease my regulator?

Always re grease your reg right when you get the gun (used). After you know it is clean and fresh, you can go a while without having to touch it. Most players can go an entire season without servicing their reg. If you play every weekend, maybe grease it half way through the season.

How often should I grease my noid?

If your gun works, and shoot consistent, dont worry about it

If you have tried EVERYTHING to fix an inconsistent gun that has random bolt stick, you should look into re greasing the noid. You can put a good amount of grease on the piston, dont worry about over greasing it. Use common sense.

Sorry for any spelling, grammar issues or anything that may upset you.. this was a spur of the moment thread that took 8min. Cheers
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM #2
aberNATTY
Natty's for days

aberNATTY is playing at Living Legends VII
aberNATTY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aberNATTY supports Team VICIOUS
aberNATTY supports Empire
In your opinion for a G5 bolt stick, Monkey poo or PB jelly?

☆☆☆ Rate and Subscribe ☆☆☆
aberNATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM #3
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
either one will work well. I personally use VP grease.

Both of them tend to stay where you put it.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM #4
aberNATTY
Natty's for days

aberNATTY is playing at Living Legends VII
aberNATTY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aberNATTY supports Team VICIOUS
aberNATTY supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
either one will work well. I personally use VP grease.

Both of them tend to stay where you put it.
Awesome thanks for your help

☆☆☆ Rate and Subscribe ☆☆☆
aberNATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM #5
stuff21397

Nice thread Firefoxx

Slick honey works flawlessly.

With slick honey i can push the bolt all the way in on my G4 and then swing the gun and the bolt will fly forward. i don't even swing it hard and it flys forward. From what i've heard slick honey is like techt gun sav but i've never had any gun sav.

Slick honey also does a very good job of staying on the bolt even after a case. I'd still lube the gun after every case i shoot though, like you said. As long as you maintain your gun after every day of play then there should be no issues unless you use DP40.