Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 PM #1
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Spyder Opus

Looking to pick some of these up to try some 50 cal. at the field.

I remember someone mentioning an O-ring upgrade bolt. Is this something direct from Kingmann? Or aftermarket?

Also, I see the Spyder Opus and the Opus A. The only difference I can see is the trigger (plastic vs. aluminum). Does anyone know if there are any other differences? Recommend one over the other?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM #2
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!
 
bigfootguy2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
Larry@Gatsplat has some of these he has done the bolt mod to,

Im pretty sure he uses the Opus with the o-ring bolt and does not put on the front o-ring.

I am pretty sure this is the way they come from kingman now.
-Will
__________________
WILL LUMPKIN

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM #3
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Correct. And we use the plastic trigger grip version. Only broke 1 in the last year (out of 60) so I'd say that was a good call.
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.

Last edited by GatSplat : 02-06-2013 at 08:32 AM.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 AM #4
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002 View Post
Larry@Gatsplat has some of these he has done the bolt mod to,

Im pretty sure he uses the Opus with the o-ring bolt and does not put on the front o-ring.

I am pretty sure this is the way they come from kingman now.
-Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Correct. And we use the plastic trigger grip version. Only broke 1 in the last year (out of 60) so I'd say that was a good call.
Thank you. Larry, are the Opus typical of other Spyder markers where you often needs a spring kit to get the velocity where you want/need it to be? I assume that the springs are different than regular 68 caliber Spyder springs though?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM #5
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
They are good for velocity... 260 is where we are at. The only problem is when you chop a ball - they will sputter. Our refs carry 50 cal squeegees with them. Pull the bolt, wipe it off. Squeegee and you're back shooting.
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM #6
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
They are good for velocity... 260 is where we are at. The only problem is when you chop a ball - they will sputter. Our refs carry 50 cal squeegees with them. Pull the bolt, wipe it off. Squeegee and you're back shooting.
Thanks. What paintballs are you using? This is the big issue for us right now as availability/selection of 50 cal paintballs is not great. I can get anything I want if I commit to a skid of 375 cases, but I'm anticipating a slow start with this and 375 cases are going to be sitting around for a while. How do 50 cal store compared to 68 cal? About the same?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 PM #7
Indy Acres Paintball
 
 
Indy Acres Paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
I would get the aluminum triggers. I have had several of the plastic triggers break on our Stormers.
Indy Acres Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM #8
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
To do the aluminum trigger grips, you are looking at about 15 bucks more per gun, which means unless 1 in 4 break before you toss them, you are losing money, not even counting the other profit you could make by using that cash for other purposes.

I'm using gi milsim 50 cal, and there are now some other folks trying to get my business, so there will probably be other options for you as well. I'm sure you can get less than 375 cases... just tell them "no thanks, I'll have to go with my other distributor then" and hang up. You'll be surprised how quickly your phone will ring.

Of course... for canada... I'm not sure what other options you have. And I can't tell people much about storing paint... we don't really store it. I buy my pallets every 2-3 weeks... About the longest paintballs hang around for me is a month.
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM #9
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
To do the aluminum trigger grips, you are looking at about 15 bucks more per gun, which means unless 1 in 4 break before you toss them, you are losing money, not even counting the other profit you could make by using that cash for other purposes.

I'm using gi milsim 50 cal, and there are now some other folks trying to get my business, so there will probably be other options for you as well. I'm sure you can get less than 375 cases... just tell them "no thanks, I'll have to go with my other distributor then" and hang up. You'll be surprised how quickly your phone will ring.

Of course... for canada... I'm not sure what other options you have. And I can't tell people much about storing paint... we don't really store it. I buy my pallets every 2-3 weeks... About the longest paintballs hang around for me is a month.
I'm hoping I get to that point as well as far as the storing issue goes. Yes, the problem is that no one else here in our part of Canada is doing 50 cal, so getting stuff shipped here (we're on an island to make things worse) gets costly if you order small amounts. I do have the option of getting some GI 2-star in small amounts but am a little worried about the balls being too tough. The whole point of this exercise is to offer something that is less painful.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM #10
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Acres Paintball View Post
I would get the aluminum triggers. I have had several of the plastic triggers break on our Stormers.
Hmmm, anyone know how much the aluminum triggers are on their own. I'm thinking I could chance the plastic triggers and then upgrade to aluminum as they break (if they break).

In all honesty, I'd like someone to step up to the plate and offer a decent rental 50 cal for sale. Personally I think that the lack of a decent rental is holding 50 cal back. I know I would have jumped in much sooner if one were available. To think about having to deal with a Spyder as a rental is making me cringe.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM #11
280paintball
 
 
280paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South KC
You should cringe, we offer .50 cal and use the plastic opus's just like gatsplat. They break one ball and the gun goes down... it really sucks when there are 30 ten year old kids all playing with .50 cal and it happens. I will absolutely never expand our .50 cal gun count until there is way better equipment actually made to hold up to field use.

BUT, the groups that do play with it absolutely have more fun than they could with .68 cal.
__________________


Indoor and Outdoor Paintball
280paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM #12
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280paintball View Post
You should cringe, we offer .50 cal and use the plastic opus's just like gatsplat. They break one ball and the gun goes down... it really sucks when there are 30 ten year old kids all playing with .50 cal and it happens. I will absolutely never expand our .50 cal gun count until there is way better equipment actually made to hold up to field use.

BUT, the groups that do play with it absolutely have more fun than they could with .68 cal.
See, I'm hearing this more and more. I can't understand why one of the manufacturers (i.e. Tippmann) doesn't build a decent reliable mechanical rental marker for 50 cal. It doesn't need to be fancy (most field owners would prefer if it wasn't fancy) and have a lot of bells and whistles. It just needs to be reliable. There is a Demand, why is there no Supply?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM #13
MstrKey
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SSM, Ontario, Canada
MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I wonder if chronying too low with 50 cal guns is part of the problem? I know kingman guns can be finicky at the lower velocities(spring tension) period.

So if you were setting your guns at 260 with 68 cal, you may need to bump that up to 280 with 50 cal for the same reliability. You need enough spring tension to push the striker and bolt through the broken paint sludge so it can open the valve enough to cycle back.

I've never used 50 cal guns but I know from running spyders they don't perform well at low velocities once you break paint. Maybe someone can grab two dirty 50 cals and experiment. Who knows.
__________________

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals, spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump