Community Focus

Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM #1
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Etha issue - massive air leak

Hi guys

This isn't my Etha - but a kids at a site I was at today.
Basically, it is a 2 day event and it is his 3rd time taking his Etha out.

He came to me (not sure why - never worked on an Etha, but have owned an EGO11 and GEO2.1 (as well as many other markers)) where the marker is turned on, aired up and with eyes off, he pulls the trigger and nothing happens. He said he hadn't touched it since last walk on where it was fine. Solenoid wasn't clicking when I pulled the trigger...

I changed his battery for a fresh Procell from my kitbag (I am nice like that) and now the solenoid clicks when eyes are off but it won't dry fire. Eyes are working fine.

I thought "maybe the velocity is too low to cycle the bolt", but the screw was out by a few threads. I adjusted it slight and then WHAM - air gushing from what feels like the top of the front HPR/Reg. I mean, this is a serious air leak. It won't stop if I reverse what I did.

So I turned the air off, stripped the HPR and all O-Rings look fine. Checked his manual and it suggested the 009 poppet shaft oring, but that looked fine too.
At this stage, I didn't want to touch it anymore as I didn't want to make matters worse, so I rebuilt the reg and re-lubed it. Still the same big leak.

Now, I am nice like that and lent the kid my backup marker (even though I am not taking part in todays game and went home early), but i''d like to try to fix his marker tomorrow as I doubt I can play as I have a trapped nerve in my back.

Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM #2
Nashorn
What Does The Fox Say?

Annual Supporting Member
Nashorn is playing at Living Legends VII
Nashorn owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nashorn supports Team VICIOUS
Nashorn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nashorn has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Nashorn supports Empire
Since you rebuilt the reg, I am going to make the assumption that the reg is leaking 'cause the pressure is too high. IIRC, this is a design feature to keep from blowing the 'noid with too much pressure. Try lowering the pressure a bit to see if it stops. Also, you could try swapping the reg from your Ego 11 and see if the problem continues.

I had a similar problem and discovered the guide shaft and the bumper were wet with lube and gunk causing a suction effect on the bolt. Make sure the the bolt guide stem and bumper are bone dry.

I support Avid Extreme Sports
Nashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM #3
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Any chance you can just give us a call in Manchester so we can run through a few things with you?
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM #4
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Hi Jack

Unfortunately he didn't bring his marker back yesterday so I couldn't look over it again, but he will be contacting you guys about it.
We did have another Etha owner look at it and he also couldn't figure out what was going on - but then we gave up as we didn't want to cause any more strain to it - air was blowing trough it similar to someone pushing the pin in on the air bottle...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 AM #5
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
OK, well thanks for taking the time to try and get it working for him. I'm sure it will be something really simple.
Jack
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 AM #6
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Did you ever get it back? If so, what was done to fix it?
(Just for my knowledge so if I ever see it happening again, I can suggest it)