Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM #1
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Concussion: Mask Issue Help

Hey guys I could really use some help from the paintball community right now,

My name is Reagan, I'm 17 and I've been playing paintball for 7 years; wouldn't give it up for anything else in the world. So about a year ago I received 2 concussions within 24 hours (Saturday and Sunday) while playing in a paintball tourney. I got hit 2x right on top of each other above my left temple and once in the back of the head where the squishy part is in the middle. Anyways I've been going to many different therapies and have improved tremendously over time. I'm just now starting to try to go back to school one class at a time for the second attempt and the Doc has cleared me to go back to paintball; however, I have to have a full helmet paintball mask that he approves of. I've searched and purchased multiple masks and so far none have fit my ginormous head.

What I'm trying to say is, do ya'll have any ideas or suggestions?

Does anybody make customizable paintball masks?

If ya'll have any connections with paintball companies or helmet producing companies (like football, baseball, etc...) could ya'll help me get in contact with them?

I don't know what to do! I feel like there's nothing out there and that I'm going to have to quit paintball! It even makes me more miserable with the season about to start up in a couple of weeks!

Thanks
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM #2
Diomedes
Nerd
 
Diomedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millburn, NJ
Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
I think you have a couple of options. Have you tried the JT head shield? That gives you full head coverage. A lot of milsim players wear full helmets in addition to masks. Poke around youtube for some milsim videos to see some examples. I know there are a few purpose-made helmet-mask combinations, but other people just go with a helmet and mask that work well together for them. Hockey helmets might be good to look at.
__________________
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM #3
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Dang dude, I didn't expect a quick response like that!
Yes I have tried the JT Head Shield, it didn't fit sadly. I think I know what your talking about when you say milsim helmets. Are they the ones that look like actually military helmets that are made by Rap4?

The helmet has to cover the interior back of my head.
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:17 PM #4
tinopaintball
 
 
tinopaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: cupertino, CA
Annual Supporting Member
tinopaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tinopaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tinopaintball supports Team VICIOUS
tinopaintball supports Team VICIOUS
tinopaintball supports DLX Technology
I have a very similar situation, except i got my concussions about 2 months apart and not playing paintball (one football, one snowboarding). But I have all of the same school/ work problems and things, for paintball, I wear 2 of these, one on top of the other, but that might not be enough considering your specific situation, and how you originally hurt your head by getting hit by a paintball. I have one of these too, I dont use it, just used as a lender. But it does fit my huge head. Not a bad mask.

First these (dye headband protector things)
http://www.ansgear.com/2012_Dye_Head...dwraplines.htm

Second (extreme rage 3 piece full helmet)
http://www.ansgear.com/Extreme_Rage_...mskblkthrm.htm

^^^ Actually I have the non-thermal version, but the thermal one is better
__________________
Current Markers;
Vicious CSL #3 --- Candy red ninja 68/45 --- SEED Rotor
Etha --------------------Ninja 68/45----------- Rotor

Last edited by tinopaintball : 02-02-2013 at 10:53 PM.
tinopaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM #5
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinopaintball View Post
I have a very similar situation, except i got my concussions about 2 months apart and not playing paintball (one football, one snowboarding). But I have all of the same school problems and things, for paintball, I wear 2 of these, one on top of the other, but that might not be enough considering your specific situation, and how you originally hurt your head by getting hit by a paintball. I have one of these too, I dont use it, just used as a lender. But it does fit my huge head. Not a bad mask, but not the best.

First these (dye headband protector things)
http://www.ansgear.com/2012_Dye_Head...dwraplines.htm

Second (extreme rage 3 piece full helmet)
http://www.ansgear.com/Extreme_Rage_...mskblkthrm.htm

^^^ Actually I have the non-thermal version, but the thermal one is better
Concussions suck don't they?!?!
I ordered that helmet and it didn't fit. The cool thing about it is that I sent an e-mail to that company and told them about my situation. Next thing you know they sent me that mask free of charge and told me to keep it even if it didn't fit. The paintball community is just one giant family and that's the one thing that I like about it than any other sport!
Thanks for the suggestions though!
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM #6
batmite10
get out of my cave...
 
batmite10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: H-Town
batmite10 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
batmite10 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Have you looked into custom making one? It might be expensive, but it will keep you in the game.
batmite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM #7
fredericpaintball
 
 
fredericpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
fredericpaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Check out the turtle cap, my son wears one saved his dome more than once. Myself I use the mullet.

http://www.hundredthmonkeypaintball....gear.html#2835
__________________
www.fredericpaintball.com
fredericpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 AM #8
Studwiser
 
 
Studwiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: British Columbia
Annual Supporting Member
Studwiser is playing at Living Legends VII
Studwiser owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Studwiser supports DLX Technology
I ran into the same problem last year with two concussions in 2 months from a single paintball to the head. I had the headshield for a while but that proved to be a piece of garbage in the warm weather.. I ended up having a custom protective hat made.

I started with a bounce cap from napa which provides some good shock absorption. The cap itself was no more then $40... i work for napa so i cant remember the retail cost but it was not too expensive.

The bounce cap is built like a lesser hard hat, in a baseball cap styling. The brim of the cap is hard plastic just like the dome. I wear the hat backwards to cover the back of my head and neck. Next i had a local paintball soft goods producer add the maximum amount of padding allowed by tournament leagues onto the side in order to protect my ears and behind them. This works in conjunction with my mask's ear pieces to provide me with extra padding and shock absorption. Last i had him install a 2 plastic plates in the opening of the back of the hat (think snap back cap) with some high density foam in between.

The hat itself complies with all of my local leagues standards for padding. To date i have been shot in the head many times with this hat, and i have not experienced any more concussions or good knocks to the head.

To be honest the hat is not the biggest, but if you can find a similar piece i am sure that the same idea can be made for you. This did allow me to continue playing paintball after the doctors told me to get a helmet or forget it for the rest of my life. It took some trial and error but i still get to play the game i love.

I will try to post some pictures for you tonight or tomorrow, just so you get an idea of what i had made.

On another note, i really wish you well with your recovery, as it is not an easy path, nor a short one. I am sure your doctor has already told you this, but for your sake if you get hit and feel even slightly off, then stop playing for the day, and untill the symptoms stop. Your health is worth more then a day of fun.


Another product that i have stumbled on is a d3o based beanie, designed for snowboarders and skiers. It may work, but i have not been able to get my hands on one yet. Here is a link to the product

http://www.d3o.com/2012/01/d3o-beani...-snowboarders/
__________________
Langley LTD "Living The Dream".

Ambush Paintball Paintballgear.ca Axiom Pro Shop

Last edited by Studwiser : 02-03-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Studwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 AM #9
Diomedes
Nerd
 
Diomedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millburn, NJ
Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
Turtle/bounce caps are a good idea. There are actually ones made with a shorter, more flexible, very low angle brim that are designed to be worn backwards to give back of head/neck protection. Let me see if I can still find one on eBay (that's where they were back in the day, like five years ago)...

<two minutes later>

Boom: how does this look?
__________________
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback

Last edited by Diomedes : 02-03-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM #10
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studwiser View Post
I ran into the same problem last year with two concussions in 2 months from a single paintball to the head. I had the headshield for a while but that proved to be a piece of garbage in the warm weather.. I ended up having a custom protective hat made.

I started with a bounce cap from napa which provides some good shock absorption. The cap itself was no more then $40... i work for napa so i cant remember the retail cost but it was not too expensive.

The bounce cap is built like a lesser hard hat, in a baseball cap styling. The brim of the cap is hard plastic just like the dome. I wear the hat backwards to cover the back of my head and neck. Next i had a local paintball soft goods producer add the maximum amount of padding allowed by tournament leagues onto the side in order to protect my ears and behind them. This works in conjunction with my mask's ear pieces to provide me with extra padding and shock absorption. Last i had him install a 2 plastic plates in the opening of the back of the hat (think snap back cap) with some high density foam in between.

The hat itself complies with all of my local leagues standards for padding. To date i have been shot in the head many times with this hat, and i have not experienced any more concussions or good knocks to the head.

To be honest the hat is not the biggest, but if you can find a similar piece i am sure that the same idea can be made for you. This did allow me to continue playing paintball after the doctors told me to get a helmet or forget it for the rest of my life. It took some trial and error but i still get to play the game i love.

I will try to post some pictures for you tonight or tomorrow, just so you get an idea of what i had made.

On another note, i really wish you well with your recovery, as it is not an easy path, nor a short one. I am sure your doctor has already told you this, but for your sake if you get hit and feel even slightly off, then stop playing for the day, and untill the symptoms stop. Your health is worth more then a day of fun.


Another product that i have stumbled on is a d3o based beanie, designed for snowboarders and skiers. It may work, but i have not been able to get my hands on one yet. Here is a link to the product

http://www.d3o.com/2012/01/d3o-beani...-snowboarders/
Yea I really would like to see those pictures, sounds like a good idea!
That D30 looks pretty cool too!
Thanks man!
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM #11
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks guys I will look into them!
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 AM #12
Nahib_Stilgar
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
This guy on MCB has made some custom masks. One was made from perforated Aluminum for a guy with a gigantic head. (looking for the link)

Vents reinvented

Here it is.
Custom METAL Dye I4
Nahib_Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM #13
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
This guy on MCB has made some custom masks. One was made from perforated Aluminum for a guy with a gigantic head. (looking for the link)

Vents reinvented

Here it is.
Custom METAL Dye I4
That's pretty interesting, Thanks!
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM #14
r90t
Doc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: LA/323
r90t is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Turtle caps are back in production

see hundreth monkey website, about $40-45 bucks. They are in and out of production, so if you want one, I'd order it sooner rather than later.

I've worn multiple since 2008 without issues of any head bruising, etc, even when getting bunkered from close range. Wear it backwards and it protects the back of the head, as well. They are about 3/8 inch of firm foam in a fabric cover.
__________________
Come check out the monthly pump day in San Diego County.www.thosepumpguyz.com
RIP-PSH
r90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM #15
whitemexican90
 
 
whitemexican90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
whitemexican90 plays in the APPA D4 division
whitemexican90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whitemexican90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by r90t View Post
see hundreth monkey website, about $40-45 bucks. They are in and out of production, so if you want one, I'd order it sooner rather than later.

I've worn multiple since 2008 without issues of any head bruising, etc, even when getting bunkered from close range. Wear it backwards and it protects the back of the head, as well. They are about 3/8 inch of firm foam in a fabric cover.
Yea that's what everybody keeps saying. Never heard of them until just now!
I ordered one on Sunday, hopefully I can get one before the weekend!
Are they really hot to wear during the summer?
__________________
Bethel-Factory
whitemexican90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 AM #16
gopb1005
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
My friend had a similar problem. He called various companies explaining his situation, needless to say, he got a thermal lense mask that fit him perfectly and it covered his whole head.
gopb1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 AM #17
gopb1005
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I don't remember the company he got it from, I remember he called Planet Eclipse and JT. That is all I know of.
gopb1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 AM #18
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!
 
o5pr3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vallejo, CA
Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
JT made Flex 8's in full head gear as well.

__________________
Northern California PB Thefts: An always updating record of all the stolen gear in Nor*Cal
http://www.airrixpaintball.com/


NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM #19
Christian P
UWL and Scenario
 
Christian P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Check out a hockey helmet and remove the visor. Then wear a Dye I4 for a mask as it should fit the open face area.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump