Annual Supporting Member
fplated is BST Legit
fplated is an NCPA player
fplated has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fplated has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
fplated has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
fplated owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Scuba Tank refill stations - Please help

I was hoping to invest in a scuba tank setup.

My questions:
  • Aluminum or Steel tanks?
  • Is it better to get 2 so I can fill halfway on one, and top to 3000 on the other? or just use one until it's empty, then the other?
  • How much is it to hydro test them? - Do they need VIP also if they don't go underwater?
  • The one I'm looking at has a YOKE reg, which fill station do I need? - and if you could please link me, because I heard different fill stations go on different reg.
  • Can they be laid down and put in my trunk? - or do they need to be stood up when filled?
  • If I stop filling from my scuba tank at ~1500 PSI, will it matter how big the tanks are? - or will I get the same number of fills from a 68CF tank vs. 80CF tank?

Is there anything I should know?
fplated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM #2
die.another.day

Okay. Ill give u what i know. You can buy scuba tanks off ebay or something for 50 bucks a piece. If they were used for diving they will have the standard K valve which a normal scuba fill station will fit. My dive shop charges like 65 to hydro them. As for size. You will not get the same anount of fills from a 60 to an 80. Better off getting an 80 CU scuba tank. Scuba tanks are 3000 psi. If your using a 68 3000 then the scuba tank will drop about 300 psi each time u fill your tank from empty.

Hope i helped a little
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM #3
rcontrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplated View Post
I was hoping to invest in a scuba tank setup.
Is there anything I should know?
My questions: << Answered inline
  • Aluminum or Steel tanks? << Since this is not for diving, just go the cheapest
  • Is it better to get 2 so I can fill halfway on one, and top to 3000 on the other? or just use one until it's empty, then the other? << With two tanks, fill as much as you can off the lowest pressure one first then shift to the other to top off. This is called cascading.
  • How much is it to hydro test them? - Do they need VIP also if they don't go underwater? << Scuba tanks are no more expensive to hydro than paintball tanks in most locations. VIP is actually to help protect you from bad fills and has nothing to do with diving.
  • The one I'm looking at has a YOKE reg, which fill station do I need? - and if you could please link me, because I heard different fill stations go on different reg.
  • Can they be laid down and put in my trunk? - or do they need to be stood up when filled? << Of course they can be laid down. That keeps them from falling down and potentially being damaged.
  • If I stop filling from my scuba tank at ~1500 PSI, will it matter how big the tanks are? - or will I get the same number of fills from a 68CF tank vs. 80CF tank? << Why stop at 1500? If it is a 3000 tank, fill to 3000. And since a 68 CF tank usually costs about the same as an 80, then absolutely get the 80. The smaller tanks were designed for divers that don't use much air and are smaller in stature. There is more air in an 80 than a 68 so it is really a no brainer.

800-344-9267
FREE SHIPPING for cash orders (cash, money order, wire transfer, check). Shipping is for Continental USA only.
rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM #4
fplated
FSU

Annual Supporting Member
fplated is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
My questions: << Answered inline
  • If I stop filling from my scuba tank at ~1500 PSI, will it matter how big the tanks are? - or will I get the same number of fills from a 68CF tank vs. 80CF tank? << Why stop at 1500? If it is a 3000 tank, fill to 3000. And since a 68 CF tank usually costs about the same as an 80, then absolutely get the 80. The smaller tanks were designed for divers that don't use much air and are smaller in stature. There is more air in an 80 than a 68 so it is really a no brainer.
IDK if you just skipped the YOKE valve question B/C you didn't know or didn't see?

As for stopping at ~1500, because I use a good 2000+ PIS per game, even a full 4500 in some woodsball games, so if I had a paintball tank only to 1500PSI, I might run out before the game ends. But I guess if I cascade that wouldn't be a problem?

Would you say 200$'s for 2 aluminum 80CF scubas + fill stations would be a good deal?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 AM #5
rcontrera

Scuba tanks don't have regulators ... just simple on/off valves. As for fill stations, Ninja makes a good one but there are tons of them out there from about $15 on up to hundreds.

I still don't understand where you are going with the 1500 psi thing so I will just drop it.

As for price, that is all over the board for used. But be aware that there are a lot of scuba tanks that are showing up on eBay and Craig's List that have been recalled and are potentially dangerous.
800-344-9267
FREE SHIPPING for cash orders (cash, money order, wire transfer, check). Shipping is for Continental USA only.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 AM #6
jaydiem

jaydiem supports Team VICIOUS
jaydiem has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jaydiem is attending Decay of Nations VI
jaydiem supports DLX Technology
I have a question on the cascade thing. Will that fill your tank up to 4500 psi?

Also, how much does it cost to fill up a scuba tank?
jaydiem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 AM #7
rcontrera

You gotta read all the posts ... Scuba tanks only go to 3000.

Tank fills are all over the board. Locally they are anywhere from 99 cents to 10 dollars depending on the various stores programs.
800-344-9267
Old 01-26-2013, 12:23 AM #8
fplated
FSU

Annual Supporting Member
fplated is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
Scuba tanks don't have regulators ... just simple on/off valves. As for fill stations, Ninja makes a good one but there are tons of them out there from about $15 on up to hundreds.

I still don't understand where you are going with the 1500 psi thing so I will just drop it.

As for price, that is all over the board for used. But be aware that there are a lot of scuba tanks that are showing up on eBay and Craig's List that have been recalled and are potentially dangerous.
Well, the 1500 PSI thing meant that like, I would fill from 1 scuba tank till it drops to 1500 psi, and switch to a 2nd tank because I want more PSI per game. so if I'm doing that, does size of tank matter?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 AM #9
rcontrera

Of course the size matters. The bigger the tank, the more air is in it!
800-344-9267
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM #10
Waxer

Waxer plays in the PSP
Waxer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Waxer plays in the APPA D4 division
Waxer supports DLX Technology
your tank will ony match what pressure the scuba has, so if you have scuba one filled to 3000 psi and scuba 2 to 2000 psi if you fill off both you wont get 5000 you will only pressure match your tank to what the scuba has which would be scuba 1 with 3000 psi

hope that helps
just use one scuba till your ressure drops below what you feel is good for a match and jump on the other scuba
Waxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM #11
pbking316
Evil Wins

has been a member for 10 years
The steel scuba tanks are 3442psi but cost alot more. If i had the cash i'd buy a large steel tank. The shop i get my tank filled at requires a visual inspection yearly even though its not used for diving. An 80cf 3000psi tank last me awhile playing with 6 guys + having all our tanks filled. Yes it sucks when you start getting fills below 2000psi so 2 tanks would be better to top them off once one tank gets low. I'd recommend a large steel tank however 80cf aluminum tanks are about the cheapest.

I would say $200 for 2 aluminum tanks is a good deal if they are hydro'd
cost for fills on the scuba if like the same price to fill a paintball tank its a good deal. Cost will depend on the shop though. last year it was only $40 for a visual inspection scuba fill and to have 5 paintball fills.
pbking316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM #12
Blind Eye

I have a question, why not just buy a nitrogen tank from a welding supply store that can hold up to 4000psi?
Blind Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM #13
Rob @ Ninja PB

Rob @ Ninja PB works for a Paintball manufacturer
Rob @ Ninja PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rob @ Ninja PB supports Team VICIOUS
Rob @ Ninja PB supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbking316 View Post
The steel scuba tanks are 3442psi but cost alot more. If i had the cash i'd buy a large steel tank. The shop i get my tank filled at requires a visual inspection yearly even though its not used for diving. An 80cf 3000psi tank last me awhile playing with 6 guys + having all our tanks filled. Yes it sucks when you start getting fills below 2000psi so 2 tanks would be better to top them off once one tank gets low. I'd recommend a large steel tank however 80cf aluminum tanks are about the cheapest.

I would say $200 for 2 aluminum tanks is a good deal if they are hydro'd
cost for fills on the scuba if like the same price to fill a paintball tank its a good deal. Cost will depend on the shop though. last year it was only $40 for a visual inspection scuba fill and to have 5 paintball fills.
Try calling Airgas or another national gas supplier. Some will rent the large 300cu ft 5000psi cylinders.
Certfied Hydro Test Facility - DOT RIN# G777
NINJA USERS CLUB
Rob @ Ninja PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 PM #14
JJDu4

Annual Supporting Member
JJDu4 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JJDu4 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JJDu4 is for the Gunfight
JJDu4 supports DLX Technology
JJDu4 supports Empire
JJDu4 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I picked up two tanks from Leisure Pro off eBay. I then picked up a cascade system from a company called Northshore Compressor. I also picked up a Shoebox Flex 80 compressor and I've been pleased. I filled one of my 80cu ft scuba tanks the other day and it did take 8-10 hours but I started it before I left for work and when I got home it was just about topped off. I can fill a 80 cu in paintball tank in about 1 1/2 hours but what I normally do is pull off the scuba tanks and bring my paintball tanks to 3000 then hook them to the Shoebox to bring them to 4500. It only takes 20 or so minutes to bring them up to that. Of course this isn't something you'd want to try to fill a field but for me to adjust my regs or let my kids shoot their markers it works great. I called Airgas as we have an account with them at my office and they do rent Nitrogen tanks fairly reasonable. That's probably a great option as well it's just I didn't want to have to rely on having to get it filled from my home or trying to tote it to be filled. Plus if it was at the office and is have to bring my paintball tanks to fill and bring them back home. I just wanted to have access to air at home and not rely on anyone to fill.