wat
wat
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 05:15 PM #1052
DJ Bob (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
Dam dude u ever Dj in ibiza or quatar? What kind of pc did you build ? Or did you build a Mac pro
i use a macbook for music production, build a pc for gaming though.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM #1053
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
monthyl payments mean you're paying interest. rich people are rich because they dont waste money on that ****. if you have the money pay for it, if you dont have the money dont buy it.
I had this same discussion with one of the hit-and-run "build me a computer, doods" guys a couple months ago. He was all like "HURRRR I CAN AFFORD TO BUY IT NOW I JUST CHOOSE TO MAKE PAYMENTS."

And I was like, what.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM #1054
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is a Supporting Member
erayser is BST Legit
Having all the best components can add up fast, and most people want the best... so I can understand why people would prefer to make payments to own something they want at the moment... even if they don't have the money to pay it in full. I used a credit card to pay for my build because I bought most of my stuff online... but I paid everything off before I was billed. Since I bought my stuff from several different website, it didn't feel bad... until I paid it all off in one lump payment. Even if I had the money to pay off my build... I wouldn't say I'm rich. The way I can buy luxury items (as in products and services that are not considered essential) is because we learned to budget and save. I'm not rich thanks to living in California, mortgage, utilities, the wife and kids.

Anyhow... I used to think a creditcard is something good for somebody to build their credit rating up... but not so sure anymore. As far as buying a computer on credit and paying monthly... think about it. You're computer is depreciating while interest is increasing your payment. Not a good investment.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 PM #1055
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
Anyhow... I used to think a creditcard is something good for somebody to build their credit rating up... but not so sure anymore. As far as buying a computer on credit and paying monthly... think about it. You're computer is depreciating while interest is increasing your payment. Not a good investment.
Again, a lot of new credit cards (for people building credit) are 0% interest for an intro period. Having 6 to 12 months of on-time payments builds your credit score up from nothing, so when you need to finance a car you can at least save a few percent and that is a lot more money over a longer period of time. There are 0 penalties for making payments.

Computer components are not good investments. They are worthless in a few years. Almost everything people buy in their lives are bad investments. This is a different argument completely.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM #1056
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Again, a lot of new credit cards (for people building credit) are 0% interest for an intro period. Having 6 to 12 months of on-time payments builds your credit score up from nothing, so when you need to finance a car you can at least save a few percent and that is a lot more money over a longer period of time. There are 0 penalties for making payments.

Computer components are not good investments. They are worthless in a few years. Almost everything people buy in their lives are bad investments. This is a different argument completely.
That's true. We get those 0% credit cards in the mail all the time... but I aways thought we got those because of our credit scores... LOL... I didn't think they were offered to just anyone... but that would be a good thing for young people to build credit.

Yah... I thought buying a home was a great investment... and there was a time when we had 700k equity... that went away fast in Cali. But that's a lot different than a computer being worthless in a few years.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM #1057
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
Well you could always do what I do, never stop making changes.

I started with an i5-2500k and a 560ti. Now I have a 2700k/3770k and 2 680s. Constant upgrades/trades make the overall cost spread out.
OSTT GURU
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM #1058
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Where I went to high school/middle school, there was a lot of new construction right across the street. This was all going on from like 2002-2006, and I remember seeing foundations being poured in the morning with the framing going up by the time school let out at 2:45. I'm no architect, but I'm pretty sure a 6 or 8 inch block of concrete needs to cure for more than a few hours.

Those places were about 6 feet apart, had about 12 square feet of front yard space, and yet still fetched starting prices "in the low 600s." Thanks to outfits like Countrywide, they were snapped up quicker than they could be built.

But I digress.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM #1059
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
Well you could always do what I do, never stop making changes.

I started with an i5-2500k and a 560ti. Now I have a 2700k/3770k and 2 680s. Constant upgrades/trades make the overall cost spread out.
Let him save up to build or buy a complete gaming rig first... before he thinks of upgrading.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM #1060
atm743

atm743 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i cant wait to see the gtx 780 come out. its going to be insane.

also when is intel going to release haswell?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 PM #1061
Oedipus
god save captain slow

May-June I think.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM #1062
venice empire77
_________

venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Gives me a solid few months.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM #1063
Oedipus
god save captain slow

I don't think it's going to be a big enough upgrade from SB/IB to warrant a new mobo.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 PM #1064
venice empire77
_________

It will be from Phenom
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM #1065
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Phenom 1 or 2?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM #1066
venice empire77
_________

Dos
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM #1067
IonBaller07
Joyness, I Has It

IonBaller07 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by M98custom1212 View Post
Credit Card? Newegg preferred account?
Newegg preferred account sounds intriguing as I do love Newegg.

Quote:
credit card.

But monthly payments are for poor people.
Im a minimum wage making college student, of course Im poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
This is great for highschoolers . Why do you want to do it? Improve credit score ?
I have a steady income but if I were to drop a full $600-1000 at once I wouldnt be able to eat/have fun for a while.

Quote:
monthyl payments mean you're paying interest. rich people are rich because they dont waste money on that ****. if you have the money pay for it, if you dont have the money dont buy it.
I seriously doubt anyone has become rich simply by avoiding paying interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
Having all the best components can add up fast, and most people want the best... so I can understand why people would prefer to make payments to own something they want at the moment... even if they don't have the money to pay it in full. I used a credit card to pay for my build because I bought most of my stuff online... but I paid everything off before I was billed. Since I bought my stuff from several different website, it didn't feel bad... until I paid it all off in one lump payment. Even if I had the money to pay off my build... I wouldn't say I'm rich. The way I can buy luxury items (as in products and services that are not considered essential) is because we learned to budget and save. I'm not rich thanks to living in California, mortgage, utilities, the wife and kids.

True that its not a good investment but Im certainly not the kind of person that has to have top of the line everything. Even parts from a year or two back can run most anything I would need. So I would be ok for a while. I would certainly prefer waiting until I have the full lot of money before purchasing anything but as a computer science major with no computer other than my underpoweded netbook. I would really like something new to work with.

Thanks for the advice though everyone Ill look at the newegg prefered account otherwise Ill try to just hold off and put some aside until I can buy it all at once.
I WANT CHICKEN AND CHI-CHI'S
I WANT TASTE BUDS
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM #1068
DJ Bob (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonBaller07 View Post
Im a minimum wage making college student, of course Im poor.
college...now there's a great way to waste money
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM #1069
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

mrtramplefoot supports DLX Technology
sorry, we can't all be dj's...

"Originally posted by Ziya92: Apple in all their creativity could have chosen, at the very least, a flavorful cultivar such as the Blenheim Orange. "

"Originally posted by {InsertUsernameHere}: lol france."
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM #1070
bubba0315

Quote:
college...now there's a great way to waste money
so brave
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM #1071
Oedipus
god save captain slow

If you're in a tight financial situation anyway, the last thing you need to be doing is financing something as frivolous as a computer.