Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM #22
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Rancid1845 is playing at Living Legends VI
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D5 division
Rancid1845 supports Empire
You can get a used DM3 Matrix just like your tequila sunrise (maybe a Trauma DM3) for like $160.00 easy.

I was in the same situation as you and ended up grabbing a MacDev Drone (spoolie) and it shoots amazing. Kept my eyes open and picked up a Shocktech Aftershock SFL with eblade and an EGO 8 for pennies on the dollar. Keep an eye on the forums there's always a deal to be had.

Hell....some of these kids selling cockers have NO idea what they have, or how to use it. Friend of mine picked up an E2 2006 Black Magic cocker for $120.00. We cleaned it timed it and flipped it for $290 not even a week later.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
If it Shoots its "the ****"
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM #23
jblindy
US Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by windebank9 View Post
Ive seen Dm12's go as low as $575 bro. If you're into that kind of stuff id put out the extra 150 or so and buy that. For hoppers, go for a used V3 Rotor, Empire Z2 or the beautiful Virtue Spire. Tanks... Ninja is the place for that. I personally use the SLP on all my guns, i love it. They are the lightest tanks. Shaft 4 barrels are nice but can be pricey. If youd like a cheaper good barrel, go CP no doubt. .685 is generally the most used so go some where around that. 14 inches. Masks, I4s, Slys, Grillz etc. PANTS=VALKEN 2013 REDEMPTION. BEST EVER!!!
True, but I've given myself a strict budget for my marker and I have to stick to it. Besides, I told my wife that I would match her for whatever I spent on my gear, so I don't want to spend much over $750 for a total setup. I could easily drop $1500 on a new marker and gear but then that would actually be costing me 3 grand.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM #24
sammyrosenthal
Nt wanter

sammyrosenthal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sammyrosenthal has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sammyrosenthal has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would save up and go for an AXE. But who did own the rights to the matrix before Dye?
sammyrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM #25
jblindy
US Army

Airtech Industries. Dye bought the rights to the design late 2002, I believe. There were so many designs of the matrix before Dye took it: Freeflow, Ironman, KAPP, Tequila, Tequila Sunrise, TMC, Toxic, Image....hell, I can't remember em all, but I know there were several more. I've owned many matrix's but my Aardvark Tequila Sunrise was my all time favorite marker.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 AM #26
todamax369
Dustin

Annual Supporting Member
todamax369 is BST Trusted
todamax369 is playing at Living Legends VII
todamax369 posts videos on PbNation
todamax369 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Seems your questions have been answered. Just want to welcome you back! We need more players. Hope your kids enjoy.
todamax369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM #27
jblindy
US Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid1845 View Post
You can get a used DM3 Matrix just like your tequila sunrise (maybe a Trauma DM3) for like $160.00 easy.

I was in the same situation as you and ended up grabbing a MacDev Drone (spoolie) and it shoots amazing. Kept my eyes open and picked up a Shocktech Aftershock SFL with eblade and an EGO 8 for pennies on the dollar. Keep an eye on the forums there's always a deal to be had.

Hell....some of these kids selling cockers have NO idea what they have, or how to use it. Friend of mine picked up an E2 2006 Black Magic cocker for $120.00. We cleaned it timed it and flipped it for $290 not even a week later.
I've been pondering this for a day and this is what I think I'm going to do. My Matrixes were always my go to markers, I loved them and knew them inside and out. So why not start again with what served me so well for the last few years of my paintball days.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM #28
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Look into the green link in my signature (ignore the potentially misleading link title) for a little bit of a refresher on values and technicalities that apply to today.

Aside from that, I don't have enough time, but this can sum up some things:

WDP died

WGP died

SP died, then rebirthed as GOG without that ******* Bill Garder.

Pro paintball is becoming interesting again

Technology is actually moving forward with markers for the first time since the '07s.

Markers now weigh less than some people's penises.

Average efficiency for a spool is over 1300 and over 1600 for a poppet.

All guns can be made into a highend with enough cleanly done modifications to make it look like it'd come from a factory

More people play paintball than airsoft

PL milling died, then is starting to make a comeback now, but is still on the low key side.

PE and DYE are in the lead for most uninformed and unintelligible fans

PE actually makes a spool valve (that sucks, but at least they're trying)

Guns are simple to tune now that you don't really need to pay attention to mechanical dwell and in many cases an LPR.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM #29
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
if I could make one applicable suggestion on your marker setup, it might be this:

route 1.

Bob Long Vice (or protege if you don't care much for looks. It's literally identical to a vice, but with cheaper cosmetic milling and $100 less on average. Again, literally functionally and mechanically identical.) (~$350 for a really nice and clean one.)

Invert Halo Too (Made from plastic that isn't **** like the rest of the halo/magna buddies. It is strongly suggested you buy a magna clutch drive and an empire freeway mod for this if you want to make it feed super consistently and reliably as well as a touch faster. They can be had for $15 together.)

.684 Lurker eigenbarrel (scientifically proven to be the best 1 piece barrel available and a .684 will chamber most paint nowadays perfectly. they're $42 new from lurkerpb.com)

some used 68/45 tank. Crossfire is my favorite (pre-SS regs) as they're the most consistent, durable, reliable and cheapest. (Just the largest and heaviest, but it really doesn't matter at all whatsoever). The thing about this as well as that you should run your tank with an LP output since the Vice works best from it and you will have the best consistency with it. You can usually snag an '08 crossfire tank for around $60-75.

route 2.

replace the vice with a Macdev Cyborg RX. Everything else applies, but this gun is god like as well. I prefer this over the Vice strongly.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM #30
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
if I could make one applicable suggestion on your marker setup, it might be this:

route 1.

Bob Long Vice (or protege if you don't care much for looks. It's literally identical to a vice, but with cheaper cosmetic milling and $100 less on average. Again, literally functionally and mechanically identical.) (~$350 for a really nice and clean one.)

Invert Halo Too (Made from plastic that isn't **** like the rest of the halo/magna buddies. It is strongly suggested you buy a magna clutch drive and an empire freeway mod for this if you want to make it feed super consistently and reliably as well as a touch faster. They can be had for $15 together.)

.684 Lurker eigenbarrel (scientifically proven to be the best 1 piece barrel available and a .684 will chamber most paint nowadays perfectly. they're $42 new from lurkerpb.com)

some used 68/45 tank. Crossfire is my favorite (pre-SS regs) as they're the most consistent, durable, reliable and cheapest. (Just the largest and heaviest, but it really doesn't matter at all whatsoever). The thing about this as well as that you should run your tank with an LP output since the Vice works best from it and you will have the best consistency with it. You can usually snag an '08 crossfire tank for around $60-75.

route 2.

replace the vice with a Macdev Cyborg RX. Everything else applies, but this gun is god like as well. I prefer this over the Vice strongly.
Pretty sound advice here.

Guns:
Stacked Poppets: Vice/ Protege, G6R or 07 borg
Spools: MacDev Droid, Drone, DM9 or PM8
Inline Poppets: Rapper or my personal favorite gun the BL Closer. It is smooth like a spool and efficient like poppets... The stock engine is a smoother and quieter than the SC (supercharged) engine, but the SC is insanely efficient. I LOVE my closer. The cycle is so pleasant to me.

Loaders: I still have a gangstar'd vlocity in the bag, but I really like the rotor. Halos can still hold their own and a ton of the "new" loaders are just improvements of the original halo design.

Barrel: I too use eigenbarrels. Cheap, light, nice control bore and quiet.

Tanks: for me the cylinder doesn't matter a whole lot, but I really prefer ninja pro regs. I use a 56/45 (with a CP extender and a ninja pro reg) and it is perfect for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM #31
vector911

vector911 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I was in your shoes last year. Stopped playing in 05 back at it spring last year. Picked up a few markers since then because I wanted my own opinion. If I didn't like them I sold most for break even or profit. I still have my reloader B, picked up a vl junior with virtue, and an egg iv. Reloader runs consistent the other two work fine too though. Don't exactly need a super loader since all the fields are 15bps or less. Even unlimited fields I play at scare the tippman squads if you run semi higher than that.

Some marker purchases last year when getting back in the game prices paid last year:
DM5 $185 - matrix goodness could throw a stream, but tall feeling and a lil brickish
Vibe Blackheart $120 - smooth easy to rebuild. Could never keep a stream going on the break though. Kept as a backup for kids or girl friends to use.
DM6 $250 - sold the dm5 within a month of picking it up. Everything the 5 was just smaller lighter
Protege (unmilled vice) - $250 I'm still shocked by how smooth this is highly reccomend
Angel A1 $150 - maxed it out with fly magno gear for $170 more and wow!

Still think the protege/vice is the best all year marker I have ever owned. With the a1 and protege being so smooth I'm not sure if the dm6 is even needed anymore. This season one of these will go away
NXT/impulse/luxe threaded pipe barrel kit
vector911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM #32
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector911 View Post
Protege (unmilled vice) - $250 I'm still shocked by how smooth this is highly reccomend
Toss a LP poppet in that beast and I bet you'll be shocked all over again.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM #33
_Sharpie
Wipe and reload

_Sharpie supports DLX Technology
Get a used 2012 g6r 22 to 2 pods off a 68/45 very quiet and as smooth as any spool valve out there. It'll cost 500 to 600 but it'll be worth it. If not get an empire axe( 200 to 350 used or 460 new ) 12 pods off a 68/45 smoother than a geo and best trigger in paintball. Empire scion loaders have similar internals to the z2 which is a fantastic hopper
_Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM #34
_Sharpie
Wipe and reload

_Sharpie supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid1845 View Post

Yea I bought a clone gt and my god is it smooth!
_Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM #35
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

I still think that mike fromthe other sites advice is sound.. first and foremost get yourself a good mask as your first purchase.

WTB cocker pneus, slider & Karni FB

Jack Wood:
And I think that if you think something is bull****, you have every right to say you think it is. Just because bull**** is the norm doesn't mean it stinks any less.
new ion? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 AM #36
jblindy
US Army

Thanks for all the advice, but in the end I went with something that I know very well, a gen e matrix. I loved my matrixes/matrices and never had a problem with them. Bought it for 160 shipped. I'm not sure how serious I'll be getting so I'll just use the Matrix for the time being and check out the newer markers at the field to formulate my own opinion as Vector mentioned above.

Now all I have to do is keep an eye out for parts.