Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM #85
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that skimping on protection for your body is a bad idea lol

Buying even the most expensive pads is a worthwhile investment, considering how long the typical pads last, and how quickly you will lose out if you ever have to get medical care for an injury. And getting any long-term issues from being "manly" and going without pads is just silly ...
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM #86
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by apes4us View Post
I dunno, I never needed anything more than elbow pads, but then again I don't bother crawling all that often these days anyways! I can't recall ever getting my forearms cut up.
Your proposal sounds reasonable.
I love crawling, I'm too slow to make forward bunkers without it lol
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM #87
Castro #66
Sniper Whisperer
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Precisely.

I spring for the pricey ones, and they last me at least 3 years each.
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM #88
Ph4n7oM 3
PLAY UWL
 
Ph4n7oM 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: STL
Someone fix the broken record, please.


D~
__________________
- VIGILANTE - Chicago Underground -
- AOP - Support the art that supports you!
- CCM - The BEST....made here in the USA!
- UWL - Dirt, Woods, Camo
- HK ARMY - Keeping you fresHHHHHHH!
- Inception Designs - Innovation from inspiration.
Ph4n7oM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM #89
sapdawg11
 
 
sapdawg11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4n7oM 3 View Post
Someone fix the broken record, please.

D~
Not yet, not yet!! Before we close the door, I, like most everyone in the room, would LOVE to see the paintball jerZey safety video!!!! And while the camera is out, may I also request a monologue regarding either the importance of splash anodizing for blind Africans OR something addressing the fact that bandanas are really a way of welcoming the homeless to this sport we all love so dearly. Both are difficult subjects to address but they are a reality of this day and age and we are all forced to face them...each and every day.
sapdawg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM #90
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4n7oM 3 View Post
Someone fix the broken record, please.


D~




Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg11 View Post
Not yet, not yet!! Before we close the door, I, like most everyone in the room, would LOVE to see the paintball jerZey safety video!!!! And while the camera is out, may I also request a monologue regarding either the importance of splash anodizing for blind Africans OR something addressing the fact that bandanas are really a way of welcoming the homeless to this sport we all love so dearly. Both are difficult subjects to address but they are a reality of this day and age and we are all forced to face them...each and every day.
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM #91
Ph4n7oM 3
PLAY UWL
 
Ph4n7oM 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: STL
Exactly JT. Exactly. *claps hands*

You figured out the problem.
__________________
- VIGILANTE - Chicago Underground -
- AOP - Support the art that supports you!
- CCM - The BEST....made here in the USA!
- UWL - Dirt, Woods, Camo
- HK ARMY - Keeping you fresHHHHHHH!
- Inception Designs - Innovation from inspiration.
Ph4n7oM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM #92
Ph4n7oM 3
PLAY UWL
 
Ph4n7oM 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: STL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bits64 View Post
You see intelligent conversation. I see people whining and complaining. Everyone just go play more paintball.
I love it when Mr. Controversy himself makes posts.
__________________
- VIGILANTE - Chicago Underground -
- AOP - Support the art that supports you!
- CCM - The BEST....made here in the USA!
- UWL - Dirt, Woods, Camo
- HK ARMY - Keeping you fresHHHHHHH!
- Inception Designs - Innovation from inspiration.
Ph4n7oM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM #93
JOESPUD27
Merc
 
JOESPUD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: St. Louis Area
 has been a member for 10 years
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that skimping on protection for your body is a bad idea


Jay
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 AM #94
NkdMangina
Brandon Doyle
 
NkdMangina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MN
NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends III
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends V
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
NkdMangina posts videos on PbNation
We bought padded jerseys for 2012 because we noticed the benefits of the bounces (more so locally then nationally due to paint quality) but I found them to be heavier and get hot in them.

Judging by our terrible performance in 2012, they clearly didn't help =P

during open play usually just rock a cut off t-shirt or light weight jersey, I don't think I'd buy a super padded jersey again but that is just a personal preference.

if people are so worried about your opponent getting bouncers, just shoot them in the hard parts (goggles, guns, packs, shoes)
__________________
DoyleRealEstateTeam.com - Vintage Paintball Park - YouTube Channel - Team Zero - Ninja - LLPaintball
2nd Place - NPPL Pump Division Series 2011
2nd Place - NPPL Pump Division Chicago 2011
3rd Place - UWL 5-Man Chicago 2013 (Chicago Underground)
1st Place - UWL 10-Man Nebraska 2013 (Chicago Underground)
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM #95
Bob Bobbity
Bobbitay
 
Bob Bobbity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oregon
 has been a member for 10 years
I personally believe that wearing too much padding (pointless padding that doesn't improve safety and is only for bounces) during practice is bad for practicing, because you tend to get a little careless. But, during a tournament: do whatever is within the rules limits to get the advantage. I do think, however, they need to make the rules stricter regarding padding. Maybe no more than 1/4" of actual padding on non-slide-contact areas should be necessary, in my opinion. I am personally sick of all the people who can be shot 5 times in the chest and/or bunkered and have all the ball(s) bounce.

BASICALLY: I feel like I keep playing against a team of Michelin men.

__________________
Hmm...
Bob Bobbity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM #96
Lawyer Chris
 
 
Lawyer Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I'm not going to quote anyone in this thread except sapdawg11 because he always cracks my **** up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg11 View Post
And while the camera is out, may I also request a monologue regarding either the importance of splash anodizing for blind Africans OR something addressing the fact that bandanas are really a way of welcoming the homeless to this sport we all love so dearly. Both are difficult subjects to address but they are a reality of this day and age and we are all forced to face them...each and every day.
If heavily padded jerseys, pants, etc. are allowed in a league or specific tourney then teams should definitely use any equipment covered under the rule set. In that environment, the field is level for all teams playing so the argument is really moot.

However on a more global level, bounces (and their promotion) debase the game.

Paintball is a game of hits and misses. Bounces are an unfortunate result of deficiencies in the equipment. Eliminating bounces should be the ideal, not encouraging them.

Players have never been that concerned about safety (especially in light of the fact that serious injury is very rare). Instead, players have always wanted as much advantage as they could get away with. The insurance companies have been the drivers behind safety issues. That's why we have ATSM certified goggles, facemasks, and velocity limits.

Some items developed/used to promote bounces:
-Padded hopper/tank covers
-"Flex” style masks made those “face” bounces semi possible again.
-Minimized masks
-"Goggleflauge”
-"Bounce” hats, padded headbands, and sock hats
-Neoprene throat protectors
-Neoprene pod packs
-Ricochet hoppers
-Pads worn under jerseys/pants instead of outside
-Oversized jerseys/pants
-Multiple layers of clothes
-Overly padded oversized jerseys/pants

OK...one more quote:

Quote:
They'll get you 9 lives on the paintball field and I mean it'll make you Superman out there. You just take all kinds of bounces. - onepumpchump13
The “safety” claim is a straw man argument.

IF safety was such a huge concern then it would make sense to wear complete hard body armor. In fact there is hard armor available in the way of chest protectors, masks (including full head versions), gloves, and pads. At least using them would be more in line with the ideal of a game of hits and misses.

But it would also defeat the extreme aspect of the game (as does “bouncewear"). The beauty of the game is that actions can have (sometimes painful) consequences. That is what brings the excitement and adrenaline to paintball.

Last edited by Lawyer Chris : 02-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Lawyer Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM #97
ncervantes
 
 
ncervantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Louis, MO
ncervantes is playing at Living Legends V
ncervantes plays in the APPA D4 division
ncervantes has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg11 View Post
Not yet, not yet!! Before we close the door, I, like most everyone in the room, would LOVE to see the paintball jerZey safety video!!!! And while the camera is out, may I also request a monologue regarding either the importance of splash anodizing for blind Africans OR something addressing the fact that bandanas are really a way of welcoming the homeless to this sport we all love so dearly. Both are difficult subjects to address but they are a reality of this day and age and we are all forced to face them...each and every day.
HahHa...hilarious.
__________________
| CCM GLOSS BLACK J2L |
| 12" DW | VL Revy | 68/45 |

TOTAL GREIF #68
XTREME PAINTBALL PARK
ncervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM #98
JOESPUD27
Merc
 
JOESPUD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: St. Louis Area
 has been a member for 10 years
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
Lawyer Chris....good to see you again.

Jay
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM #99
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Both perks are very valid truths. They will take all kinds of bounces(WITH CRAP PAINT), and they do make you safer.

I have disputed peoples claims to them being unfair / shady.
I have disputed people for outing others for wearing a completely legit piece of gear.
I have argued with peoples insinuations that they are crutches necessary to win.


TG 1st place NPPL HB. Full Dye Tact gear.
TG 3rd place NPPL Vegas Full *supermansuit* RAZA GEAR.

Props to Front Kick for working us over.

Gear doesnt make the player, skillset does.



I have addressed people posting up opinions as facts.

Frankly I dont care if you like what people wear and if it helps you get sleep at night to have the jerzey crutch to blame it on after they just worked you over then more power to you. Just remember, the jerzey made them do it. Not your lack of ability, it was the jerzey.

The only reasons I have spent this much time on this topic is : The story that started this thread is a true one. The father that posted up half way through about his kid bieng wrapped up when he first starts. The messages on FB from random mommies that said they really liked the story and will probably do that now. That in itself outweighs anyone's personal agenda.

I hate seeing whiny *** internet paintball players trying to dictate what paintball is or should be. I REALLY hate when I see peoples (opinions)verbal vomit, handed out freely as advice that doesn't have a shred of fact in it. It doesn't do anything but throw negative vibes and limit choices in paintball.

The majority of these so called experienced players or people speaking on this have never ref'd for a field, major event, big game, corporate outing, birthday parties with like 50 bazillion kiddos with all their parents watching..

. I am willing to bet the majority didn't play last weekend or even today.

I know what I am talking about through Experience. I don't care if any of you are smart enough to listen to it. The person I care is listening isn't the narrowinded old dog that thinks he knows whats what. Its the person who doesn't, and wants to know what is. The validation happened long before this thread ever started and I shared my story with you.
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332

Last edited by onepumpchump13 : 02-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM #100
apes4us
MO
 
apes4us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepumpchump13 View Post
I have disputed peoples claims to them being unfair / shady.
I have disputed people for outing others for wearing a completely legit piece of gear.
I have argued with peoples insinuations that they are crutches necessary to win.
Disputed them, yes. Made coherent responses or a convincing argument, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepumpchump13 View Post
The majority of these so called experienced players or people speaking on this have never ref'd for a field, major event, big game, corporate outing, birthday parties with like 50 bazillion kiddos with all their parents watching..

I know what I am talking about through Experience. I don't care if any of you are smart enough to listen to it.
I can't even believe what I am reading. As I scroll through the thread I see some of the most experienced paintball players in the St. Louis area. You are way off base here.

"LawyerChris" did a great job of summing this all up. It would serve you well to sit down and actually read his post.
apes4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM #101
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by apes4us View Post
I can't even believe what I am reading.

__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 PM #102
Ph4n7oM 3
PLAY UWL
 
Ph4n7oM 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: STL
This simple argument was blown way out of proportion by you JT. Instead of an argument about 1 thing, it is now like, 5 things.
__________________
- VIGILANTE - Chicago Underground -
- AOP - Support the art that supports you!
- CCM - The BEST....made here in the USA!
- UWL - Dirt, Woods, Camo
- HK ARMY - Keeping you fresHHHHHHH!
- Inception Designs - Innovation from inspiration.
Ph4n7oM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM #103
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4n7oM 3 View Post
This simple argument was blown way out of proportion by you JT. Instead of an argument about 1 thing, it is now like, 5 things.
Whats that Mr. Controversy?

I cant help what ridiculous things people will bring up to try to validate an opinion sir.
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM #104
Ph4n7oM 3
PLAY UWL
 
Ph4n7oM 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: STL
Bits posted? Hmmm, way back when.

The other "things" were brought by you.

Take a second, go back, and start from the beginning.
__________________
- VIGILANTE - Chicago Underground -
- AOP - Support the art that supports you!
- CCM - The BEST....made here in the USA!
- UWL - Dirt, Woods, Camo
- HK ARMY - Keeping you fresHHHHHHH!
- Inception Designs - Innovation from inspiration.
Ph4n7oM 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 PM #105
onepumpchump13
Total Greif #13
 
onepumpchump13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4n7oM 3 View Post
Bits posted? Hmmm, way back when.

The other "things" were brought by you.

Take a second, go back, and start from the beginning.
Whine less , play more.
__________________
Friends off field - Friends on the field - @ 10 seconds you become Nameless, Faceless and my Enemy.

http://www.xtremepaintballpark.com/
http://www.chipleymachine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1809223332
onepumpchump13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump