Community Focus

Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM #85
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

qu1cks1lver56 is playing at Living Legends III
qu1cks1lver56 supports Team VICIOUS
qu1cks1lver56 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
qu1cks1lver56 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I really wanna learn to work on guitars. Like truss rod adjustments and filing the nut, but I'm scared I'll **** up my guitars. But my acoustic needs some work and I'm too broke to pay someone right now.

Any pointers? Or just suck it up and pay someone?
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM #86
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1cks1lver56 View Post
I really wanna learn to work on guitars. Like truss rod adjustments and filing the nut, but I'm scared I'll **** up my guitars. But my acoustic needs some work and I'm too broke to pay someone right now.

Any pointers? Or just suck it up and pay someone?
Truss rod adjustments aren't too complicated. Do your research. Work in very tiny adjustments and just make sure you're heading the right direction.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM #87
Stagger Lee

^what he said. And there's a good chance someone on youtube already has a video on how to set up your exact guitar anyway, so I'd start there. I don't like the idea of filing my nuts (lol) because I don't have proper gauge files, I have to estimate and try to correct the space rather than actually file it properly.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM #88
Treghc

I've made the mistake of winding my high E while the string sat in the wrong spot on the bridge. It made a small indentation about 1/8" away from where it should be and I continued to put other high E's in that slot , growing it bit by bit before I started to actually notice the problem. Bah.

It's not too big of a deal. I just have to be more conscious of where my high E sits when I wind it. That, and a small cosmetic flaw, but that really doesn't bother me.

Lesson here is : go slow and pay attention to everything you're doing and you'll be fine with just about anything you do to your guitar.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM #89
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

qu1cks1lver56 is playing at Living Legends III
qu1cks1lver56 supports Team VICIOUS
qu1cks1lver56 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
qu1cks1lver56 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Noted.

Heading over to YouTube.
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM #90
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I've made the mistake of winding my high E while the string sat in the wrong spot on the bridge. It made a small indentation about 1/8" away from where it should be and I continued to put other high E's in that slot , growing it bit by bit before I started to actually notice the problem. Bah.

It's not too big of a deal. I just have to be more conscious of where my high E sits when I wind it. That, and a small cosmetic flaw, but that really doesn't bother me.

Lesson here is : go slow and pay attention to everything you're doing and you'll be fine with just about anything you do to your guitar.
I have a little mark from doing exactly that, same string too . It's pretty easy to miss that particular saddle when you're double locking strings and focusing on a proper wind.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM #91
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

http://www.gearhounds.com/jackson-pr...blue-glow.aspx

That's the guitar I was talking about last night, Alex.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM #92
Treghc

Love that maple fretboard!

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM #93
Stagger Lee

Is that a Europe only model? I've heard all kinds of things lately about Jackson discontinuing MIJ guitars, favoring Korea/Indonesia/USA. Either way, I'll take a Wizard over Jackson necks all day long
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM #94
PBFreak875
IOT's Pet Canadian

PBFreak875 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PBFreak875 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
So I got around to measuring the Warlock body with the neck on it, I don't think the neck will work after all. Same scale length, different # of frets. **** I'm dumb. I forgot Warlocks had a 24 fret neck.

"Originally posted by Muff Muff: The best ideas always come in either dreams or while drunk."

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
PBFreak875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM #95
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFreak875 View Post
So I got around to measuring the Warlock body with the neck on it, I don't think the neck will work after all. Same scale length, different # of frets. **** I'm dumb. I forgot Warlocks had a 24 fret neck.
So you're putting a 22 fret neck on a guitar made for a 24? I think the 22 fret neck will be a tad shorter, and without modification, you'll have intonation problems. If the neck fits properly in the pocket, I know for a fact you can swap 22 for 24/24 for 22 and move the bridge to accommodate....you might have to move the pickups too, I'm not 100% on that.

Keep doing research, there's gotta be someone who did the math for ya.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM #96
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Is that a Europe only model? I've heard all kinds of things lately about Jackson discontinuing MIJ guitars, favoring Korea/Indonesia/USA. Either way, I'll take a Wizard over Jackson necks all day long
Nope, part of a new Pro line of Jackson guitars, there's a 7 string that's Alder with maple neck/board, and an 8 the same way. Both with Dimarzios, I think.

Quote:
So you're putting a 22 fret neck on a guitar made for a 24? I think the 22 fret neck will be a tad shorter, and without modification, you'll have intonation problems. If the neck fits properly in the pocket, I know for a fact you can swap 22 for 24/24 for 22 and move the bridge to accommodate....you might have to move the pickups too, I'm not 100% on that.

24fret necks require the neck pick up to be repositioned to make up for the extra FB length. I don't think you can put a 22 fret on a 24 fret and it work right, even with modification, because the neck pocket itself will also go in further into the body.

Last edited by Decption-Clay : 01-30-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Decption-Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 PM #97
PBFreak875
IOT's Pet Canadian

Quote:

21 fret and yeah the 25.5" scale of the Squier would put the bridge past the end of the body. The pocket is actually perfect for the neck, all the holes line up and everything, dimensions are near identical (within a mm). I could just look for a cheap Warlock neck or something else with a cheap 24 fret neck.

"Originally posted by Muff Muff: The best ideas always come in either dreams or while drunk."

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM #98
Stagger Lee

Edit: lawdy, I don't envy your situation. If I were you, I'd hunt for a trustworthy luthier that knows enough Warlock bodies to give you proper directions. I don't like 22 or 21 fret necks, so I'm in the clear

I've seen the new Jacksons, but was confused by the fact that when I searched for that particular model, it's only offered on European websites. I was really hoping to see a plethora of 6-strings with maple necks from NAMM, but the shred-oriented companies seem to be focused on churning out 7-8 stringers. What has me happy is that Ibanez kept the 3250, but changed colors, so the discontinued models (DY, FOB) are dropping in price...I'm buying a DY one tonight ^.^

And very good point about the pocket. What gets me is that I'm positive I've seen a strat-style neck on a Gibson, but now I have to assume it either wasn't tunable, or required an immense amount of modification/shimming and rerouting.

Either way, there's a ton of math involved to get the intonation remotely close to right. I guess there's a reason we hear more about people throwing 24 fret necks on 22 fret bodies, heh.

Last edited by Stagger Lee : 01-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM #99
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

I really hope it's going to be available in the US, other wise it's saving up 2.5 times as much and getting an LTD Elite H III.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM #100
Stagger Lee

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to acquire one anyway, but shipping would be ridiculous. You COULD just get a BNIB 3250 for under a grand, but you'd have to join the dark side...

Edit: rofl. I emailed a GC store in November with questions concerning a used guitar they had, I can't even remember what it was at this point. IIRC, it's an RG550 20th they want like $800 for. They just got back to me 5 minutes ago, I have a feeling they way overpaid for it.

Hey Dave,

I've got the guitar right here in my hands. Condition wise it has a few nice little nicks along the edges of the body, a good amount of scratches on the pickguard, and a little bit of rust on the hardware of the bridge. As far as playability, it it shred-ready. The setup is fantastic on it. In regards to the case and other accessories, there are none. This was an item sent to us from another store and they neglected to send it with it's case. Still, unless you were looking for something in absolute perfect condition, I'd say these guitar is more than worth it's price. Get back at me and let me know what you think.

-Cody Wallace
Guitar Center Sales Associate

Last edited by Stagger Lee : 01-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM #101
PBFreak875
IOT's Pet Canadian

Quote:
Edit: lawdy, I don't envy your situation. If I were you, I'd hunt for a trustworthy luthier that knows enough Warlock bodies to give you proper directions. I don't like 22 or 21 fret necks, so I'm in the clear
I know. I'm hoping I can find a beat to **** Warlock or something similar. I'm on Craigslist right now.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM #102
Stagger Lee

It wouldn't hurt to check a few pawn shops and forums either. It might even be worth finding a body to fit the 21f neck you have, having two custom "scrap" guitars would be sweet.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 PM #103
PBFreak875
IOT's Pet Canadian

Well I did buy the Squier whole and that was the original plan to do it up. A buddy just happened to have a Warlock body and was willing to trade me for my old cell phone.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM #104
Stagger Lee

Get that Squire rolling. I've always wanted a "sleeper" guitar, but I'm no technician, so I would end up with an extra ****ty Squire rather than a regular ****ty Squire
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM #105
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

I found out I'm getting a decent chunk back from taxes.

so either I'm going to get a MIJ SLSMG, or the Jim Root tele.

Decisions, decisions.