Community Focus

Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM #1723
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I thought he was our physicist?
He's one of them.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM #1724
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post

He's one of them.
You guys multiply quickly.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM #1725
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I apologize. That was supposed to say "not working very good". I am a bit preoccupied right now. Re-read it as such and see what you think.
Even with this change, I still see problems with the analogy. If the filter isn't working very good, you certainly wouldn't expect it adequately perform a task which it previously wasn't performing.Or in other words: you wouldn't put the defective system in a substantially larger pool then declare the water that passed through the pools defective filtration system to be clean enough to drink.

Right now the mental health community is not involved in the firearm purchasing process, other than it's overarching role in "filtering out the big stuff" in society at large. If we want to require a mental health element of our firearm purchasing process, then we need to ensure that the filtration system can handle the task before we install it in a new pool.

Quote:
Who said I am in the game of upholding the authority and integrity of the constitution? The constitution was not intended to have the infallibility so often granted to it.
I don't disagree with that, but I'm not looking to argue that the Constitution is infallible. If we're to derive any legitimacy of it as a source of law (or more appropriately, as the absolute backbone of our system of laws), then its integrity relies upon
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM #1726
F1VENOM

Quote:
You guys multiply quickly.
Years of math will do that.

Plus we're just quarky.

Thank you, I'll be here all night. Don't forget to try your waitress and tip the veal.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM #1727
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKnight View Post
Right now the mental health community is not involved in the firearm purchasing process, other than it's overarching role in "filtering out the big stuff" in society at large. If we want to require a mental health element of our firearm purchasing process, then we need to ensure that the filtration system can handle the task before we install it in a new pool.
My entire point is that we should not stop "filtering out the big stuff" just because we haven't yet figured out a good system to "catch the small stuff". Do you disagree?

Quote:
I don't disagree with that, but I'm not looking to argue that the Constitution is infallible. If we're to derive any legitimacy of it as a source of law (or more appropriately, as the absolute backbone of our system of laws), then its integrity relies upon
Relies upon what?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM #1728
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Years of math will do that.

Plus we're just quarky.

Thank you, I'll be here all night. Don't forget to try your waitress and tip the veal.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM #1729
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
You can be as prepared as possible and still be victim to the aspect of surprise.
Fact of life really.

Quote:
I would be hesitant to toss those lives away as means of an end.
The ends always justify the means. This becomes easier to accept the more you understand that there are things you cannot control or change absolutely.

Quote:
I have had enough discussions with you to say that I don't believe it to be the latter. It would just seem to be to be time better spent if we went straight into real discussions and avoided the nonsense.

But, none the less, your conversations have served me better than most around these parts, so who am I to complain.
But I have been engaging in real conversation. My methods may not be preferable. A matter of taste.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM #1730
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
The ends always justify the means. This becomes easier to accept the more you understand that there are things you cannot control or change absolutely.
What do you mean? We certainly can reduce the rates of people shot by mentally unstable people.

To be clear, my point is that I will not accept simply sacrificing those people shot by mentally unstable people because we don't want to put the effort into creating a workable mental health system.

Quote:
But I have been engaging in real conversation. My methods may not be preferable. A matter of taste.
Fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM #1731
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
"I have very little hope that "get our mental health system functioning at a reasonable level" will ever happen.
Quote:
1. If you have very little hope that we can get our mental health system functioning at a reasonable level
I want to clarify something as well. Can and will are very different. I certainly do believe a working mental health system can be created. Unfortunately, I doubt it will (at least any time soon).
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM #1732
Iamamartianchurch

I'd be more worried about why a mentally ill person wishes to commit mass murder against his own community.

I think it's more of a social thing. Going back to what I said earlier with the analogy between Mayberry and a subway.

In my mind it's more complex than saying, "boom, mentally ill, that's why they did it."

But that questions too many fundamentals that have been sketched out during the course of the past handful of decades. A conversation in its own right.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM #1733
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Mental health system... how many years ago were electro-shock therapy and lobotomies "cool"?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM #1734
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
Quote:
Mental health system... how many years ago were electro-shock therapy and lobotomies "cool"?
They still use modified versions of electro-shock therapy today
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM #1735
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
I pray (because that is all you can do) that I never get Baker Act'ed.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM #1736
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
If you ever wondered why gun owners are so against registration
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM #1737
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Anecdotes, the best basis for policy decisions.
1 out of 309,000,000 is statistically significant and a prudent choice for governing the 308,999,999 others.
God this place goes in circles.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 PM #1738
Iamamartianchurch

God forbid reflexive knowledge might actually be valuable.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 PM #1739
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

'Reflexive knowledge' has very different meanings in different contexts... So I must ask again, care to elaborate?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 PM #1740
Iamamartianchurch

Sorry I meant reflection. My brain is poop, I haven't slept. You guys all have a boner for abstraction.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM #1741
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I don't see how you got that from my post. I'm simply objecting to the far-too-common practice of fear-mongering via these often hyperbolic anecdotal arguments. I believe policy decisions should be rooted in thought and statistical evidence, not sensationalized anecdotal bull****.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM #1742
Iamamartianchurch

I'm just *****ing. Every time someone brings up an acedote, they are promptly scoffed.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM #1743
F1VENOM

Quote:
I'm just *****ing. Every time someone brings up an acedote, they are promptly scoffed.
Brings up an anecdote or brings up an anecdote as the basis for sweeping policy decisions?