PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM #1
Iamamartianchurch

Goals and Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
What accomplishment should one be striving for? Our feelings are what tells us right from wrong, good from bad; it is our only perception of acknowledging events. How can one help others by not making them feel better?
tend towards the eternal things (well the things that will transcend your own short life). Among them are civilization, family, art, truth and beauty(it ain't in the damned eye of the beholder either). You help others by aiding them in ways that might allow them to fulfill their own tasks.

Its the difference between spending a day on a conservation project or going skydiving. Building bridges for a living or sucking cocks for a living. One enriches the self the other enriches life which in turn enriches you.

Quote:
What if one values the sense of pride that comes from helping others above all else? I understand you're not explicitly saying valuing feelings above all else always leads to deficient behavior with that statement, but it sounds like it's what you're getting at.
Im sort of getting at that. Focusing on things that make you feel a certain way out of a lust for those feelings is a bad path to be on. It can most certainly deter you from doing the right thing, even though you feel bad about it.

Here's what happens:
Means suddenly become the focus over the ends. Placing the means over the ends is always bad.

Quote:
This is why I mentioned being prideful. But both happiness and pride can come from outward thinking and influence. Does anyone ever actually help others when it only makes them feel worse in every aspect of their life? I don't believe such a thing has ever occurred in human history, nor do I believe it to be possible. A sense of pride comes from outward thinking.
Do they? Yes I'm sure there are many. Tomorrow is a fine day to die. Get it?

I think you should spend some time to really get to know ancient cultures.

Quote:
Also, to stay in context with the thread's intentions, do you not consider it possible for would-be parents to be able to provide a much better life for a child further down the road, with better finances, a better living situation, and more access to better care for the child if they simply waited before having a child?
If they feel they can do so then they should wait. However, that line of thinking can lead to never having kids at all. In the case of the west, birth rates have plummeted especially with both sexes pursuing careers.

Quote:
Say there's a starving college student who can barely afford to do anything, even while living in his parent's low-income household. This student is fortunately quite bright and has performed well in high school. His girlfriend gets pregnant. Should he stop funding his education to support that child when he could graduate, find a decent-level position and have a much more modest income to expend on a future child? I would consider that decision selfless, not selfish. It's a better life for a child, the man, and the woman to live in. Three people win while over one losing. I'd call that the better option.
I think it is everyone's duty to behave responsibly and with discipline. Does the student who failed to practice these virtues at risk of forsaking his future get to terminate his own offspring because of his error? I say no.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 01-30-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM #2
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Don't know why I never saw this yesterday. Give me a bit to wake up and I can respond more appropriately.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM #3
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Don't know why I never saw this yesterday. Give me a bit to wake up and I can respond more appropriately.
I'd rather you wait until you have consumed dangerous amounts of whiskey.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM #4
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
So... tomorrow night then? Can be arranged.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM #5
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

Martian all your beliefs regarding sociology and humanity are so in line with Islam that I'm surprised that you're not a Muslim. Except when you said to "tend towards the eternal things" you should have said everything you do should tend toward The Eternal.
SupraSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM #6
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
So... tomorrow night then? Can be arranged.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
xcept when you said to "tend towards the eternal things" you should have said everything you do should tend toward The Eternal.
Sorry, pandering to my base here.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM #7
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I think it is everyone's duty to behave responsibly and with discipline. Does the student who failed to practice these virtues at risk of forsaking his future get to terminate his own offspring because of his error? I say no.
Why advocate someone incapable of behaving responsibly and with discipline continue his line? I thought we were supposed to move towards Sparta...

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM #8
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

His line is not a direct clone of him. Irresponsible behavior does not warrant continued irresponsible behavior.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM #9
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
His line is not a direct clone of him. Irresponsible behavior does not warrant continued irresponsible behavior.
I don't think inserting your values answers my question.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 AM #10
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

I didn't realize I "inserted" any values. Perhaps you were able to determine why what my values are from my post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM #11
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Why advocate someone incapable of behaving responsibly and with discipline continue his line? I thought we were supposed to move towards Sparta...
You raise a good point. However I don't think one lapse of judgement is detrimental when all he did was create life. People do make mistakes and learn from them. If anything, having a child is a huge teacher of responsibility. Of course, of over the course of his adult life the person seems only interested in inoculating himself from his mistakes, then yes.