Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmr View Post
you can always start as a contractor and move into FT if they enjoy working with you.

IMO you should take it if you get it; it sounds like more of what you want to do, in which case you can think of your previous freelancing as a means of getting here. Not wasted, but a learning experience and bridge to another opportunity. You can always continue your portraiture on the weekends and pass off overflow to friends in the area.
Yeah I am super interested in the lifestyle job, but the assisting job might not be with it if it would take years to move up to shooting, low pay and long hours...not sure on the situation yet cus if that's not the case it could be worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
WTF? Don't know what they were thinking, your work pretty much stands on its own...
Haha thanks man...they said they liked my work but on my résumé I said I've only been shooting professionally for three years which might of killed it...technically it's five, but my business has only been around for three. We shall see.
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM #800
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntcheck45 View Post
Haha thanks man...they said they liked my work but on my résumé I said I've only been shooting professionally for three years which might of killed it...technically it's five, but my business has only been around for three. We shall see.
I'm floored. To me in an artistic/creative position I'd be looking more for natural eye and capability than years of experience. Hell, wasn't Joey L shooting pretty high level commercial work barely out of high school? You'd be a finalist if I were looking to hire a photographer, especially for lifestyle work based entirely off the strength of the senior work I've seen you post here. Sounds to me like someone wasn't thinking straight, or already has someone else in mind for the position.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one.
5px
http://reddogvisuals.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM #801
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Chubs, if you haven't seen it:

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM #802
fallen9210
RIP Xball

fallen9210 is a Paintball photographer
fallen9210 supports Team VICIOUS
fallen9210 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Chubs....you have nearly 43,000 views on "Enjoying a Strippers bum"
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM #803
jedi1354

jedi1354 is a Supporting Member
yep and i hope i keep getting more and more view. until i start getting laid because of it. ive been texting 2 because of reddit. 1 from fisting in canada a few weeks ago and shes back into me in a bad way and only 2 hours away. but she jumps between wating to come down immidiatly to not. and from ignoring me to telling me all the stuff she wants to do to my dong. i have never have sexy texts in my life i dont know how to deal with this.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM #804
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

One of those days....
Go into the library around lunch... dont leave until its dark out :/

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM #805
fallen9210
RIP Xball

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
One of those days....
Go into the library around lunch... dont leave until its dark out :/
I heard that man. Organic Chemistry test wednesday and I feel like i haven't see the outside world at all today
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 AM #806
reddogphoto

Organic chemistry? I feel for you man, I remember my wife going through that. She's a science genius, and that kicked her *** hard core, it was the only subject in undergrad that she had trouble with.

5px
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 AM #807
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Update on job situation- they have narrowed it down to the top four people for the assistant job, and are still looking for the lifestyle photographer. I sans scald back for another interview tomorrow, really pushing for the lifestyle job as the assistant job really isn't my cup of tea. Again this is for a super successful studio in portland and Seattle....wish me luck could be a cool situation.

Also have the portfolio review with wyden and Kennedy tomorrow...intense *** day hahaha
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 AM #808
Striker9

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntcheck45 View Post
Yeah I am super interested in the lifestyle job, but the assisting job might not be with it if it would take years to move up to shooting, low pay and long hours...not sure on the situation yet cus if that's not the case it could be worthwhile.

That's the situation I'm in at the moment. Working at a very successful commercial studio in Cleveland as an assistant with the intention of becoming a photographer. The timeline I was given before moving up to a photographer position was a year, I'm around 6 months into that. Don't let that feeling stop you from taking the job. Companies like that have clients who pay millions of dollars, it's normal to need to work up to that. It's 40% about actually being able to shoot, and 60% and the personal relationships you have with their clients and that's what takes the longest to establish, especially with being so young. Purely based off age we are already at a disadvantage since most art directors are older and have been in the business for as long as you've been alive. You seem like a very good people-person, so I'm sure any timeline they may give you would be shortened substantially.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM #809
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker9 View Post
That's the situation I'm in at the moment. Working at a very successful commercial studio in Cleveland as an assistant with the intention of becoming a photographer. The timeline I was given before moving up to a photographer position was a year, I'm around 6 months into that. Don't let that feeling stop you from taking the job. Companies like that have clients who pay millions of dollars, it's normal to need to work up to that. It's 40% about actually being able to shoot, and 60% and the personal relationships you have with their clients and that's what takes the longest to establish, especially with being so young. Purely based off age we are already at a disadvantage since most art directors are older and have been in the business for as long as you've been alive. You seem like a very good people-person, so I'm sure any timeline they may give you would be shortened substantially.
My only thing that is very discouraging is it is a full time 40 hour a week job...I enjoy my freedom I currently have and enjoy running my own business and being my own boss. My personal business was very succesful last year and is growing fast...so I might end up working more hours, for less pay, while having less freedom and lose the business I built from the ground up. Not to mention I don't really enjoy commercial work all that much...unless its very interesting, enjoyable lifestyle work I'm not sure where I stand. There is no one single photography job that really sounds appealing to me... Weird situation having no end goal direction other than beautiful images.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM #810
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/06/...-photographer/

Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM #811
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Not even a pro body...puffy
But seriously I'd rock one of those!

So made it to the top four out of over 200... Lady who is there studio manager is super friendly, but basically said I don't have the work to provide what they are looking for for a lifestyle shooter...but am too advanced for their assisting position as well...but also that I should spend time assisting other photographers so I can get to their level...which is fine and all, I know I can always improve and learn. Only thing that bugs me is literally 90% of the images on their site and at their studio I could easily take, a lot I could do better, and the only ones I can't do are their product stuff and composites...frustrating but ah well.

Then had a portfolio review with wyden and Kennedy, that went super well, made me feel better about my life's work and hopefully that relationship will lead to some cool jobs.

In other news...turning in the applications for this today-
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/3571198797.html
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM #812
IncompleteSpork90
yo snake sneak that ****

What the hell is Leo Dicaprio doing with that gear.
IncompleteSpork90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM #813
fallen9210
RIP Xball

bad *** house Jimmy. You got a boat to dock? lol
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM #814
reddogphoto

The zipper pull on that figurine's vest is comically out of scale.

5px
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM #815
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 PM #816
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Do NOT go onto private property in Oregon to take a photo. Criminal Trespass II for doing so.

Story time: A friend and I wanted to go out and take photos. We drive up to a place where I've taken photos before and saw a no trespassing sign so we turned around and started driving around the area. That's when I saw an old homestead that looked cool. I didn't see any signs and there was a gate that you could open. It's RIGHT off the rural hwy so we just walk through and are looking for a good place for a picture.

We are out of sight but we see a guy walking around my car and he starts taking the license plate number. I then walk into his sight and politely say, "Hey, are you the owner?"

The first thing out of his mouth, "You are criminally trespassing and I need you drivers license."

I got a little apprehensive and said, "I don't think legally I need to give that to you. May I ask who you are?"

He then said he was a property agent (not the owner, just someone who checks out anything suspicious) and that I would be arrested if I didn't give him my info. We went back and forth on the issue and he started to call the sherrif's office. I asked him what his name was and he said, "I'll get to that in a minute."

He sounded like he had some kind of law enforcement background and so I asked him about that. Once I felt decently comfortable giving him my ID I noticed I forgot it at my house. So then he asked for my registration for my car and I fought him on that a little bit but then relented and gave him my information. My friend also gave him his information.

After that he said, "Attitude is everything. You'll be facing a fine."

Well, geeze. Today the State Police come and take my side of the story and gave me a summons to appear in court on March 3.

After the police got my story I called the true owner of the property and he didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal and said that he'd try to get ahold of the police officer who talked to me and ask them to reconsider the charges.

The problem: Once a trespass is reported, in Oregon, it's a criminal act and only the district attorney can dismiss it and say it's not a big deal.

So a person who wasn't the land owner reported it, police followed up, gave me a citation and now I have to do damage control and figure out if the DA will drop it given the owner doesn't really care and would have given permission to photograph at the location if I would have asked.

So . . . just so you know, in Oregon, there is no "simple trespass law". In other states they just have to ask you to leave and if you then don't you can be cited. But in Oregon...if they just see you on private property they can report it and the police can give a citation. Crazy.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM #817
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

We can shoot ya here in florida...

Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 AM #818
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yah, and in Texas. I wish I lived in a state to where you could only press charges if the person decided not to leave. It seems like there are a lot of them. But a Class II misdemeanor for stepping onto a property, not harming anything, and snapping a picture? Seriously.

The way the law is written is that I could put a fence up around my yard and if someone comes into it through a gate and they aren't welcome I can turn them in for criminal trespass.

Hopefully the real landowner gets ahold of the proper people and asks them not to take it any further. The DA can ignore them, though, and prosecute anyway. My guess is that it will roll through the system . . . and they'll reduce it to something more minor.

Marijuana carries with it less hassle. Less than 1oz. is just a violation (much like a speeding ticket) and not a crime. Go figure.

Last edited by fainerbainer : 02-08-2013 at 01:55 AM.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 AM #819
reddogphoto

My advice:

Take copious notes on what transpired. Your memory will be a bit fuzzy in a month when you're in court. There's a reason law enforcement takes so long during a traffic stop, they're noting their log with every detail for the court date.

Find the best criminal defense attorney in your area and give them a ring. Paying out a few hundred dollars now could save you a whole lot of trouble and a potential record of criminal charges that will give you problems in the future. A good lawyer can contact the DA directly and potentially have this dismissed before it ever sees the light of day in a courtroom.

I'm not familiar with your state's law, but I think the key here is that the individual did not identify themselves by name, or whom they represented. I'm thinking you should have had an opportunity to contact the property owner right then and there to address the situation with them directly.

5px