Community Focus

Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM #316
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Economics suck. This hobby is a bit different than most. Very few hobbies required the continued cash outlay that paintball does. Sure lots of sports and hobbies cost big bucks to start baseball, football, motorcycling, etc but paintballs are a disposable cost that never goes away.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM #317
Mr.OldSkool

Mr.OldSkool plays in the PSP
Mr.OldSkool owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mr.OldSkool plays in the APPA D5 division
Mr.OldSkool has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
uhh,its def the prices of s**t.Pball started getting really popular,then the pball companies thought it would be smart to raise the prices.But now its a backfire because the economy got worse,and if they lowered the prices of the markers then people would think that the quality has gone down.
Mr.OldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM #318
cjs2011

I see alot of people on this thread bad mouthing the "kids" that show up with all the cool guy gear and dont know what they are doing. I'm new to the sport, played a few games with friends and family, but have just recently decided to jump into it with some friends. We all decided to go ahead and get all the nice expensive stuff $500+ markers. Honestly if you have the money to dump into the sport off the bat why not? You can't tell me you didn't want that growing up or else you would still be rocking what ever gun you started with? And we all have to start somewhere right?
I'm not a rich little kid either, I'm 20yrs old and just happen to be fortunate en ough to have a job that pays semi decent.
cjs2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM #319
theocho86
Agent for hire

theocho86 plays in the PSP
theocho86 plays in the APPA beginner division
Although i do not like to see haters badmouthing anyone ..esp ..little kids: the "rookies/future pballers", part of me does get frustrated..not jelous when i see a 10 -11 year old with head to toe premium galesr and a 700-1500.00 gat. The problem imo with that is i cannnot see why a young player needs to start with gear like that....i didnt....i began with tipps and spyders...worked my way up to a cocker (which was nice....bf i realized the maintenance) and then ions, shocker, all the way to my now ego7 which has faithfully served me strong all these years. And i can partially speak this towards myself in saying you ger players wont appreciate that kind of gear generally right off the bat....start out slow, bc if u end up not liking it, u dont have to waste ur parents money while u sell it for a retarded price on nation. Go play first....rental gear and all, if ur hooked then next step is a decent entry gun and maybe a nice mask...fogging up does suck...if u feel at some point u have a group of friends that could maybe get going in tourneys, try one..find a 3 man or a rookie only, and go have fun...then, if u feel that u want to keep going, find and tryout multiple guns and gear ...do ur research ....see which type of gear/gun is right for ur playstyle...then splurge all u want....gradually moving up as opposed to flatout buying $2,000.00 worth of stuff and u then feel that something else shoots better will help u in the long run...btw learn ur gear inside and out....cleaning and maintaining fgear will exponintially increase usage time...

I know that was alot sorry
#52 Free agent.
theocho86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM #320
JoepSantaniello
Let's operate, bro.

JoepSantaniello plays in the APPA D5 division
JoepSantaniello supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by theocho86 View Post
Although i do not like to see haters badmouthing anyone ..esp ..little kids: the "rookies/future pballers", part of me does get frustrated..not jelous when i see a 10 -11 year old with head to toe premium galesr and a 700-1500.00 gat. The problem imo with that is i cannnot see why a young player needs to start with gear like that....i didnt....i began with tipps and spyders...worked my way up to a cocker (which was nice....bf i realized the maintenance) and then ions, shocker, all the way to my now ego7 which has faithfully served me strong all these years. And i can partially speak this towards myself in saying you ger players wont appreciate that kind of gear generally right off the bat....start out slow, bc if u end up not liking it, u dont have to waste ur parents money while u sell it for a retarded price on nation. Go play first....rental gear and all, if ur hooked then next step is a decent entry gun and maybe a nice mask...fogging up does suck...if u feel at some point u have a group of friends that could maybe get going in tourneys, try one..find a 3 man or a rookie only, and go have fun...then, if u feel that u want to keep going, find and tryout multiple guns and gear ...do ur research ....see which type of gear/gun is right for ur playstyle...then splurge all u want....gradually moving up as opposed to flatout buying $2,000.00 worth of stuff and u then feel that something else shoots better will help u in the long run...btw learn ur gear inside and out....cleaning and maintaining fgear will exponintially increase usage time...

Couldn't agree more. My own two cents is that us more hardened ballers have to put our stupid-fast electros down during recball and make new players want to come back, break out a cocker or pump and the game more enjoyable for the sport's future players.
JoepSantaniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM #321
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.OldSkool View Post
uhh,its def the prices of s**t.Pball started getting really popular,then the pball companies thought it would be smart to raise the prices.But now its a backfire because the economy got worse,and if they lowered the prices of the markers then people would think that the quality has gone down.
lol... New guys.
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 AM #322
AJolliff
R doz my balls on ur fac?

TBH the flaming and bashing from this site is a huge downer to a lot of people who are currently in or joining the sport. There are a few helpful people out there, but with this site as paintball's most common traffic for paintball information online, it's not really something to consider "The best source for helpful information".
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM #323
XxCubakkaxX
Topgun/Allstar player

XxCubakkaxX plays in the PSP
XxCubakkaxX plays in the APPA D4 division
XxCubakkaxX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by theocho86 View Post

the problem with paintball is u referred to ur marker as a gat

START FAST, FINISH STRONG
XxCubakkaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM #324
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCubakkaxX View Post

the problem with paintball is u referred to ur marker as a gat
The problem with you is that you can't spell "your" or "you" correctly.
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM #325
XxCubakkaxX
Topgun/Allstar player

XxCubakkaxX plays in the PSP
XxCubakkaxX plays in the APPA D4 division
XxCubakkaxX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump_Pitch View Post
The problem with you is that you can't spell "your" or "you" correctly.
thread isn't about the problems of me...

START FAST, FINISH STRONG
XxCubakkaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM #326
GanjaPalooza
Double D

GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D4 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Since my return last summer from my stoppage in about 05-06 I have seen a steady increase in the sport.

Plain and simple, when people have the extra money again.... they will spend it.

We will see a really large flux in numbers once the economy evens back out... and in the next few months because of tax returns
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM #327
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCubakkaxX View Post

thread isn't about the problems of me...
It wasn't about theocho86, but you still pointed him out
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 AM #328
Klaussen

Maybe the problem isnīt in the new kids nor in economics but in the game itself. Like many others, I was first draw into paintball as a game I would play every now and then with my friends on the woods. Then there was a great growth as it transformed from a hobby into a sport. The field changed, the rules changed, the equipment changed and the game itself changed. Suddenly paintball wasn't a 20 minute match game but a 3 minute match competition as players and markers got faster and better.

Think of the tournaments and compare them to any other mayor team sport in terms of time and entertainment.

The average football match is 3 hrs long. A soccer match is about 2 hrs. Baseball 3hrs. Basketball 2:30. Hockey 3 hrs.

In this sports the viewer has the opportunity to track the action as it unfolds. He can savour the moment and the action in a 2-3 hr pacage. People has time to appreciate what the heck is going on in the field. Even when their team is down they can hope for a "come back".

Even more, this sports thrive on geography as they have a supportive fandom backing up their home team buying their merchandise. I mean, when you watch your local team agains any other team you want more than 3 minutes of a ramping fulmination. Either your team looses giving you 3 hrs of thrill or you team wins giving you 3 hrs of "WE are kicking their ***". You get to know every single player, their position, their strengths and their weakness. More importantly, almost anyone can practice this sports anywhere and with a low budget. No need for professional equipment or a specialized field, any kid can grab a ball and be the weekend hero at the park match against the rivaling neighbors.

Paintball, as a professional sport, is on a totally different set to me. For anyone not familiarized with the sport, it is difficult to keep track of the action and before they know it, the match has ended. Your team just lost and you were in the bathroom peeing...

Professional paintball fandom is based strictly on a minority of paintball players. Someone that doesn't play paintball will hardly view a match, let alone undersand it. Even players that love paintball as a hobby hardly keep track of the tournaments (too many and too local).

Even though I love paintball, when I think of it as a professional sport, I canīt help but throwing it along with sailing championships or professional pool. As it is, the sport of paintball canīt gain more glory than an unpopular olympic game glorified every 4 years at the most. Changes must be made for the sport to become more attractive to watch and easier to follow.

I may be wrong about the whole idea but here I lay some possible ideas.

a).- Tournaments
Instead of many local tournaments in which every team travels to a city that last a couple of days, why not make a season long tournament like any mayor sport does?

b).- Game length.
Instead of a 3 to 10 minute match have a longer game. By this I donīt mean having a slowed down version of paintball but rather having a series of consecutive matches beween the 2 teams. This way teams may switch strategies to score as the game unfolds, athletics and performance are more "showy", and you give a better chance for unfamiliar viewers to understand what is going on an the audience as a whole to savour the moment.

c) Markers.
Sure it is cool to view top of the line equipement with peak performance such as it is with formula 1 car racing, but as with car racing, unfamiliar audiences will under rate the sportsmen ability and give the credit to the equipment rather than to the athletes. Also, pushing expensive equipment into sports makes them fall into the "elitist activity" category.

People love folk heroes. Give them something they can try to emulate. You can see what "top of the line" gear has done to the sport in any local field. New people with low budget have little to no chance against a team with geo7s and endless cases of paintballs. This makes newcomers leave the sport as they are in for "not a good time". Baseball has heavy restrictions on bats and gloves as to keep the game fair. Even formula 1 has changed their rules so that low budget teams can compete up tu par with the bigger teams. Give the newcomers something they can emulate and the "regulars" something they can admire (skill rather than gear). (I know that there are some restrictions already around fire rate)

I would love to see the pro players play at ground level; to see what they can do with a mechanical marker and a restricted amont of paint. That should be interesting...

Paintball is still growing but its rate of growth is decaying. The main area of growth is not in paintball as a sport but rather in paintball as a hobby. People are going back to the woods and recball is ever more popular. Why? you may ask. I can only guess that its all about what people can understand and associate with. A paradigm shift is called for if we want to make this sport grow.
Klaussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:45 PM #329
Jt's_ego11

Jt's_ego11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I think fields need to not put people with high end guns with their rentals. I remember when I first played paintball with a rental and I was going against shockers and other electronic guns in a speedball field and all I had was a Tippman, I was scared as all get out. I did not want to move out of my bunker and get shot 10 times. I don't mind having rentals and experienced players playing together in the woods, but there should be no ramping, semi only and the guns should be capped at 8-10 BPS anything higher than that will simply scare people away. No walk-on wants to go play on a Saturday and come back with a ton of welts.

Ramping when playing with rental people does not equal skill. Plus when you overshoot a rental you are seen as a jerk. When rentals play speedball, they need to be their own group don't put them with experienced players they will get overshot and they will have no fun.
Jt's_ego11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM #330
coolman1581

coolman1581 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt's_ego11 View Post
I think fields need to not put people with high end guns with their rentals.
I don't know about you, but I loved to play with players that had electros back when I was playing rental. Almost like playing pump against electros.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM #331
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

Luigi Speed 05 plays in the PSP
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 supports DLX Technology
k, I'll bite despite the fact that thread had
been dead for a few months now. Please
someone tell me why, for christ's sake,
are you people mixing up beginners with
more experienced players? if there is no
other way then split the teams as even as
you can. I never ever seen a really "good"
player that want to step on the field when
there's only rentals on the other side. for
what? it's a no-win situation! if the refs are
not saying anything I'll be the first one to
sit for a point or 2 not to waste my paint
on beginners or rentals..

$outh Beach Pimp$ sponsored by: Planet Eclipse, SobePaintball, Deadly Wind, Ninja Paintball & The Ford Report

DaLuxeMob

Last edited by Luigi Speed 05 : 08-06-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Luigi Speed 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 PM #332
Icenail

Icenail owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Icenail has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Icenail has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The sport is too expincive for the economy.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM #333
Icenail

Icenail owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Icenail has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Icenail has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It's too expensive for the economy.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 AM #334
applebutt89
Been here since 04

Annual Supporting Member
applebutt89 plays in the PSP
applebutt89 supports Team VICIOUS
applebutt89 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
applebutt89 is Legendary
applebutt89 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaussen View Post
b).- Game length.
Instead of a 3 to 10 minute match have a longer game. By this I donīt mean having a slowed down version of paintball but rather having a series of consecutive matches beween the 2 teams. This way teams may switch strategies to score as the game unfolds, athletics and performance are more "showy", and you give a better chance for unfamiliar viewers to understand what is going on an the audience as a whole to savour the moment.

The NXL used to be 50 minute matches which would be more ideal you could say. A lot has changed from the heyday of paintball from 04-08
Baltimore Trauma Fan #655
applebutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM #335
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebutt89 View Post

The NXL used to be 50 minute matches which would be more ideal you could say. A lot has changed from the heyday of paintball from 04-08
USPA still plays full Xball matches
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 AM #336
applebutt89
Been here since 04

Annual Supporting Member
applebutt89 plays in the PSP
applebutt89 supports Team VICIOUS
applebutt89 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
applebutt89 is Legendary
applebutt89 supports DLX Technology
Yea I know some leagues still use the Xball format but I was speaking on the professional level
Baltimore Trauma Fan #655
applebutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote