Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM #1
99BPS

Some questions...

I know I'm in the Alien forum, and i've noticed everyone here loves them, but thats ok. I have also seen that EVERY problem was easily, quickly and carefully fixed when they did come up, even on much older markers. This has pushed me from my current thinking of buying a Borg Rx to getting an Alien marker. I'm not sure which one, however and have some questions to try and figure that out.

My major issue is the ability to function in the cold. I play in New England/New York (mostly VT) and it gets cold all year up here. A good deal of markers don't like it at all. My old PMs (played for a proto sponsored team for a bit) had all sorts of problems. So how do Aliens handle the cold, and does either handle it better then the other (of the newer 2).

What output pressure do the Alien markers prefer?

What hoppers work best with the Alien detent system?

People say the sweep system takes getting used too, care to elaborate?

Can a bearing trigger be used or just magnetic, and if just magnetic how is the trigger feel?

Hows the 2012 invasion fare shooting tourney level paint in cold (freezing) temperatures?

Cant seem to find the barrel threading or feedneck threading anywhere on the site either...
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM #2
kebone
I am qmto on youtube.

kebone is playing at Living Legends V
kebone owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kebone owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kebone has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I cant field all of these questions but can answer a couple.

The detents are rubber spyder/ego style and any loader thats forcefed should work fine. But, I use a VL Vlocity, and the feedneck on the Independence is a little large for it, and it must be tighteded down pretty much all the way to grip it, but for larger necked loaders like the rotor or Prophacy, it fits well.

The sweep system is just the bolt and airhole, not much to "get used to"

My indy likes my HP WGP Stratos tank as well as my Ninja reg'd tank fine.

I held an invasion recently, and found the trigger and feel of the gun to be quite pleasent and similar to the independence.

the guns are cocker threaded, and the feedneck on the indy isnt removeable, but on the invasion it appears to be a clamper of somesort.

thats about all I can say.

i like that site-which-shall-not-be-named.
http://www.youtube.com/user/qmto?blend=1&ob=4#p/a

KEVIN'S CLASSIC ELECTRO SALE
kebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM #3
griffan2
Parabolic Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
griffan2 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
I know I'm in the Alien forum, and i've noticed everyone here loves them, but thats ok. I have also seen that EVERY problem was easily, quickly and carefully fixed when they did come up, even on much older markers. This has pushed me from my current thinking of buying a Borg Rx to getting an Alien marker. I'm not sure which one, however and have some questions to try and figure that out.

My major issue is the ability to function in the cold. I play in New England/New York (mostly VT) and it gets cold all year up here. A good deal of markers don't like it at all. My old PMs (played for a proto sponsored team for a bit) had all sorts of problems. So how do Aliens handle the cold, and does either handle it better then the other (of the newer 2).

im up in Washington state and i play in sub 0 here 3 or 4 months a year. i havent had any cold issues at all and i know jack sells allot to northern Canada and they all love em.

What output pressure do the Alien markers prefer?
i use 850 out of my ninja reg, to be honest, ive heard they need the high input but ive used all sorts of output pressures on my indy and it doesn't seem to care. same with the invasion which shoots just fine on SLP input
keep in mind the LPR on the indy is only looking for 60-65 lbs of pressure. invasions tend to run about 5 lbs higher. i swapped over to an AKA regulator last year and the gun is now more consistent by a tiny bit.

What hoppers work best with the Alien detent system?

they are just finger detents so it doesnt really matter. the feedneck actually goes into the body of the gun so be careful with the Z2 or if you have a pinocio. those already low hopper parts can get into the way of the bolt pin when you pod up.

People say the sweep system takes getting used too, care to elaborate?

when i first got mine, it took me a couple of games to get used to the extra length of the shot. at about 80 feet id send a few balls right over my target because of that extra little bit before it drops off. its just bringing your shot down a bit since you no longer need to account for drop off when you are used to it.

Can a bearing trigger be used or just magnetic, and if just magnetic how is the trigger feel?
the triggers in the Independence are bearing. the indy uses critical triggers *my personal favorite trigger* the invasion however does not. there are companies *acid customs i think* that make ball bearing triggers for the invasions. indy is spring tension adjustable and the invasion is not.

Hows the 2012 invasion fare shooting tourney level paint in cold (freezing) temperatures?

i was using my indy at an event in october when even the luxes were blowing up dxs silver. after i dropped back down to bronze and i didnt have any issues at all. last week i shot the "upgraded" at my field when everyone else was even having problems with the harder shell paint so its good to go.

Cant seem to find the barrel threading or feedneck threading anywhere on the site either...
autococker threaded barrels, feednecks are part of the gun body and not removable at all. the feedneck of the loader actually slips inside of the gun body a tiny bit.

as for invasion vs indy in "how they feel". i like both. 6 one way half dozen the other but when ever i switch from one to the other i always think "wow why dont i shoot this one and not the other?" and then when i switch back i think the exact same thing haha.
griffan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM #4
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Pretty much what others have said.

Tank pressure 450psi and up will work fine. This never applies to crappy off brands.....only the good regs.

Hoppers......you can use anything just fine.

Sweep has no learning curve at all. You probably won't even notice anything.

Triggers you have stock and maybe one other option. It's decent though, no worries.

In cold weather poppets are always more friendly than spoolers BUT......you still have to make proper gun adjustments to shoot cold brittle paint in any gun. If you don't, no gun will ever work great.

Barrels are cocker......feed neck is original and you can't change it.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM #5
99BPS

Sounds like i'm shooting a 2012 invasion this year, i'm stoked.

That and my ol' Evil Pimp in my gearbag, that will forever remain my main backup marker (hell i'd shoot it for the season if I wasn't so sensitive about putting that much wear into hard to replace parts .
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM #6
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
i play in new england in the cold all of the time, I use an Indy and in tournaments where everyone else was having paint issues, i have had none.... only time i had paint break was because i never cleaned detents and my detents got stuck back haha. but once i cleaned that, i had no issues..

Last edited by l1ryan1l : 01-29-2013 at 07:54 PM.
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM #7
godraep
FapAttackV.1

godraep supports Team VICIOUS
godraep is attending Decay of Nations VI
godraep supports DLX Technology
The Invasions sharp, squared front really put me off of that design, personally. The 2010/201 Indy is something I've always wanted. Coming from a background with DLX being my primary, the ergonomics of the Invasion just don't do it for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM #8
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by godraep View Post
The Invasions sharp, squared front really put me off of that design, personally. The 2010/201 Indy is something I've always wanted. Coming from a background with DLX being my primary, the ergonomics of the Invasion just don't do it for me.
All well and good - but do add that the gun is half the price - Buy a new DLX and sell it an you lose more than an Invasion costs.
I was disappointed that the front of the gun wasn't rounded. Asked for it a couple of times. Shop didn't do it. But that is about the only place where "you get what you pay for" can be seen.
Performance is top level. Maintenance, efficiency, cold weather play - Invasion wins on all of them. Break a ball on Invasion, you can pull the bolt and swab back to front and have a perfectly clean gun and a swab that is good as new. Break a ball in your spooler and you get maybe half out with a swab and "shoot clean the rest" and you swab is done too, unless you like cleaning your gun with a dirty swab.

Point is it's easy to pick on thing and say "that doesn't do it for me"
Just a little harsh IMO to say " Better on efficiency, cleaning, maintenance, cold weather play and half the money - but the edges on the front should be more rounded so the other is the better buy.

Trying to be objective here - not always successful
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM #9
BELOWZERO
2JZGTE POWERED

Annual Supporting Member
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends V
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends VI
BELOWZERO owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
BELOWZERO supports Team VICIOUS
BELOWZERO plays in the APPA D4 division
BELOWZERO is Legendary
BELOWZERO is Boss
Quote:
same here, but when i had my invasion i just took a **** ton of athletic tape to the front of it to make it round

MUST STOP GUN BEING A GUN WHORE
FOR ALL YOUR BOBLONG NEEDS PM TIM2THOUSAND4
Field of Dreams
900-999-999
BELOWZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 AM #10
Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Whenever I use my invasion, the front doesn't bother me at all.
Filmer_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM #11
MstrKey

Nobody wears gloves?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM #12
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

i don't.......
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 AM #13
godraep
FapAttackV.1

godraep is attending Decay of Nations VI
godraep supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rice View Post
All well and good - but do add that the gun is half the price - Buy a new DLX and sell it an you lose more than an Invasion costs.
I was disappointed that the front of the gun wasn't rounded. Asked for it a couple of times. Shop didn't do it. But that is about the only place where "you get what you pay for" can be seen.
Performance is top level. Maintenance, efficiency, cold weather play - Invasion wins on all of them. Break a ball on Invasion, you can pull the bolt and swab back to front and have a perfectly clean gun and a swab that is good as new. Break a ball in your spooler and you get maybe half out with a swab and "shoot clean the rest" and you swab is done too, unless you like cleaning your gun with a dirty swab.

Point is it's easy to pick on thing and say "that doesn't do it for me"
Just a little harsh IMO to say " Better on efficiency, cleaning, maintenance, cold weather play and half the money - but the edges on the front should be more rounded so he other is the better buy.

Trying to be objective here - not always successful
I wasn't saying a Luxe is a better buy, I just think the Independence is a better buy than than the Invasion. Ididnt so much mean to come off as harsh. I dislike the Demon for similar reasons, reliability and comfort are paramount when I purchase a marker. I only brought up the Luxe because, even in cold weather, it meets those criteria for me.

Paintball players seem to be making purchases based on looks and comfort over low price and performance. Which is, of course very silly of them, but look at the Vapor.. I believe you work with Mike for production.. and I like Mike on a personal level. The Vapor however is overpriced, and unreliable(Unsure of how the V3 is going, I'd like to give it a show), but people are buying them up because of looks, and feel. Sponsorship packages have a lot to do with it too, but I'm only mentioning that so it isn't brought up by a guy that super analyzes posts.

Last edited by godraep : 01-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.
godraep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM #14
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
... I just think the Independence is a better buy than than the Invasion... reliability and comfort are paramount when I purchase a marker.
Well - to me that kind of means that value (the better buy) isn't of paramount importance. Reliability is the same for Indy and Invasion, so - for you - it's looks and comfort. OK, but I was looking that a lot more guns get sold at sub $700 than at over $1,000. But it's a pyramid and the new mid price is sub $500 or even sub $400 and that is why so many go for the spools - very cheap to make.
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM #15
MstrKey

gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ryan1l View Post
i don't.......
Weird. How the heck are you sliding and grinding without gloves? You must have MAN hands lol.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM #16
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Weird. How the heck are you sliding and grinding without gloves? You must have MAN hands lol.
well sometimes if i'm on turf or there's rocks, my palms turn into ground beef after a day of hard diving ....
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM #17
MstrKey

I actually never wore gloves until I started playing speedball. The spray just made things too slippery and I needed gloves. Plus those frikkin knuckle shots hurt like hell.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM #18
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!

Don't get shot .
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM #19
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ryan1l View Post
Don't get shot .
I don't anymore!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM #20
andyf1008

andyf1008 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
andyf1008 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
I actually never wore gloves until I started playing speedball. The spray just made things too slippery and I needed gloves. Plus those frikkin knuckle shots hurt like hell.
Lol. Reminds me of first lesson in snap shooting. Just one vs one snap shots from two Doritos. Both my hands were raw and bleeding from getting shot up. Lol. And I think I was being shot with a '10 Indy.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 PM #21
MstrKey

gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf1008 View Post
Lol. Reminds me of first lesson in snap shooting. Just one vs one snap shots from two Doritos. Both my hands were raw and bleeding from getting shot up. Lol. And I think I was being shot with a '10 Indy.
LOL.