Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM #1
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????
 
hateyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City Missouri
 has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
a little over a month into our .50 cal switch

I work at 280 paintball in Grandview Missouri. About a month ago we made a switch to include and market .50 caliber paintball along with .68 caliber. So far:

1. Efficient. Our private groups tend to play the maximum allotted time with considerably less drop off in players within the group.

2. Its bringing more people into the game. This is undeniable. We've had bachelorette groups, birthdays, corporate, a very diverse group of participants. The first group to use .50 has already been back and have even purchased their own .50 equipment.

3. Our first 2 weeks were rough learning curve wise. First batch of paint was a real issue, which once we swapped out to another lot was rectified. We shoot Spyders and with the all metal bolt once a ball chops it requires a full breach, barrel, and bolt clean. Any debris really. Also learned that if you tilt the marker it unstacks the paintball due to low ball weight. Lots of considerations are taken when I ref to actively encourage proper shooting posture. Two games usually solves that with first time players.

4. .50 caliber itself is great. We shoot Dark Sports through Spyder Opus with upgraded oring bolt. We have a large rec field and have seen a few full length corner to corner shots that broke. Impressive. As far as drawbacks with playing, tracking the ball in flight is rough. We have a green shell and that's tough to follow. Hopefully we can get some neon shell with white fill. That would be awesome.

I could go on and on, but basically I hope it expands. Its a great system for growth.
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 AM #2
1dayteam120
 
 
1dayteam120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arkansas
Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
Very interesting post I have to say. I always wondered what a field owner that switched would think of it. Do you still charge the same for 68 paint as 50 cal?
__________________
University of Arkansas Razorbacks
RIP Team 120
Geo3, Protégé, Cleanest 05 ego on PBN all FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post82215913
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM #3
G4MBL3
 
 
G4MBL3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
I ref .50 cal private groups here in SoCal and theyre terri-bad. We use those same Opus and stormers. The stormers are a joke, like half of them went down in two months. The Opus are a little better but trying to maintain a working set is a hastle. We use the same metal bolts with O-rings and clean them fairly often. Only way I have found how to keep my groups playing is by doing a few things.

1) Keep allen wrenches on you at all times because the grip frame tends to slowly unscrew off the top of the body and start shooting off in players hands freaking them out.

2) Keep a swab handy because they chop like crazy.
3) The Spyder paint is pretty bad. the GI mislim is a bit better.
4) Use pump pods (50 round ), regular pods are too big and they can break a bag of paint in 1 pod just by running around ruining the batch.
5) Try not to play in the rain or in pretty much anything other than good weather because they start breaking on you since they cant tolerate too much dirt or wetness like a 98 custom or even similar 68 spyder can.
6) Oddly enough they work better with CO2. Ive been running 50 cal groups for over about a year and a half and tried compressed and it seemed to give me more problems on average.
7) Rubberband those crappy Spyder hoppers down because they dont click down tight enough and paint goes flying.
8) Try and only have groups that only consist of girls, or kids under the age of about 13ish. Anyone else needs to go to 68. The guns cant handle more than about 2 bps. Trying to have teenage guys or full grown men rip on these things leads to slurpee out of the barrel.

This is pretty much the only way ive kept my set of guns up for a group for a 6 hour session. Theyre pretty delicate aswell so watch out. Ive had a feedneck and barrel snap clean off from the base along with the ASA coming off after a guy tripped and fell and the guy/gun landed on mud. Some of the players end up having a good time with it, some of them say they had a ****ty experience usually do to having to get a gun swapped out 3+ times in a day and missing out on games. The groups that do return go to .68 after their first experience. This is my experience with .50 cal and it sucked, hope yours ends up better and you're fleet of em dont crap out on you.
G4MBL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM #4
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass
 
aresfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rice Lake, WI
aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by G4MBL3 View Post
I ref .50 cal private groups here in SoCal and theyre terri-bad. We use those same Opus and stormers. The stormers are a joke, like half of them went down in two months. The Opus are a little better but trying to maintain a working set is a hastle. We use the same metal bolts with O-rings and clean them fairly often. Only way I have found how to keep my groups playing is by doing a few things.

1) Keep allen wrenches on you at all times because the grip frame tends to slowly unscrew off the top of the body and start shooting off in players hands freaking them out.

2) Keep a swab handy because they chop like crazy.
3) The Spyder paint is pretty bad. the GI mislim is a bit better.
4) Use pump pods (50 round ), regular pods are too big and they can break a bag of paint in 1 pod just by running around ruining the batch.
5) Try not to play in the rain or in pretty much anything other than good weather because they start breaking on you since they cant tolerate too much dirt or wetness like a 98 custom or even similar 68 spyder can.
6) Oddly enough they work better with CO2. Ive been running 50 cal groups for over about a year and a half and tried compressed and it seemed to give me more problems on average.
7) Rubberband those crappy Spyder hoppers down because they dont click down tight enough and paint goes flying.
8) Try and only have groups that only consist of girls, or kids under the age of about 13ish. Anyone else needs to go to 68. The guns cant handle more than about 2 bps. Trying to have teenage guys or full grown men rip on these things leads to slurpee out of the barrel.

This is pretty much the only way ive kept my set of guns up for a group for a 6 hour session. Theyre pretty delicate aswell so watch out. Ive had a feedneck and barrel snap clean off from the base along with the ASA coming off after a guy tripped and fell and the guy/gun landed on mud. Some of the players end up having a good time with it, some of them say they had a ****ty experience usually do to having to get a gun swapped out 3+ times in a day and missing out on games. The groups that do return go to .68 after their first experience. This is my experience with .50 cal and it sucked, hope yours ends up better and you're fleet of em dont crap out on you.
This basically just sounds like an issue that comes with Spyders...

A few tips. Loctite EVERY screw, clean EVERYTHING in the bolt/rammer, make sure the detents are good after EVERY day of play, although I have no advice to offer on hoppers, and the pod thing happens even with .68 cal. The rentals think "Oh hey! If I pack this they'll crush and break!" so then they end up with loosely packed balls anyway.
__________________
You may call it fat, I call it bounce padding.

EΔRL

Last edited by aresfiend : 12-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM #5
agemma
 
 
agemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rhode Island
agemma owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
agemma supports Team VICIOUS
agemma supports Team VICIOUS
agemma has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Really want to try this, but is it more or less expensive than the .68?
agemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 AM #6
K_Group
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
K_Group works for a Paintball manufacturer
50 cal is not cheaper than 68. It's geared to help get new players.

G4, are you from Paintball USA?
K_Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM #7
NicholasDM
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateyou View Post
I work at 280 paintball in Grandview Missouri. About a month ago we made a switch to include and market .50 caliber paintball along with .68 caliber. So far:

Grandview, huh? I'll have to check you guys out next time I'm out visiting my family for the holidays! Do you guys require field paint, and are you .50 only or is standard .68 welcome?
NicholasDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM #8
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND
 
2pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
I thought .50 cal was dead. I guess I report should have said," on life support" not a hater, but how does this help new players if it is NOT CHEAPER?
__________________
CUSTOM CARBON FIBER HOPPERS and GUNS SPIRES click below
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4040966
Luxe MOB

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM #9
K_Group
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
K_Group works for a Paintball manufacturer
Depending on insurance policies, fields can promote to a younger crowd. Getting younger players in paintball, is kinda like peewee league of baseball.

Do a search for low impact paintball and take a look at the results. A few fields in the US, but a lot in the UK.
K_Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM #10
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES
 
soccerstud_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springfield MO
Annual Supporting Member
soccerstud_2009 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerstud_2009 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasDM

Grandview, huh? I'll have to check you guys out next time I'm out visiting my family for the holidays! Do you guys require field paint, and are you .50 only or is standard .68 welcome?
Field paint only and they do both .68 and .50
soccerstud_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:45 AM #11
1dayteam120
 
 
1dayteam120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arkansas
Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
I thought .50 cal was dead. I guess I report should have said," on life support" not a hater, but how does this help new players if it is NOT CHEAPER?
For some people it's cheaper

A serious tourney player that is getting a good rate on paint isn't going to see the savings back. Someone who's options are this or $65 a case at a feiels can benefit. If this was out when I started I would have used it. You can but 4,000 paintballs for $60 free shipping. So you would get more than double the play out of it of you are playing out in the woods with friends
__________________
University of Arkansas Razorbacks
RIP Team 120
Geo3, Protégé, Cleanest 05 ego on PBN all FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post82215913
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 PM #12
a2maxd
Xbl-ostermaster
 
a2maxd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
a2maxd helped look for balloons
a2maxd supports Team VICIOUS
a2maxd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
.
a2maxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 AM #13
licence23
 
 
licence23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Sounds like fun but room for improvement
licence23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM #14
AZCHOOCH
 
 
AZCHOOCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The burbs
AZCHOOCH has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
We run .50 cal on sunday mornings for ages 8-12 and even have adults come in asking for the .50 cal it is cheaper by 15-20.00 a case if its FPO.

Rental fleet we use is GI MICRO 50 MILSIM 50 OPUS A
One thing we did do is use all of the revy .50 cal hoppers that GI makes they work great.

We average anywhere from 50-100+ kids each Sunday guns are used and abused and I service them on a weekly basis which is general gun care.

Private parties we use them also they like it because each person has a choice between mech or electro
AZCHOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM #15
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????
 
hateyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City Missouri
 has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
I haven't reported in a while.....
We doubled our Opus'
I stock GI Milsim Micro, FM, and GI50
The .50 revys make a huge difference.

All in all..... Great

Oh we upgrade our Opus to the Oring bolt and we have went WEEKS with ZERO hassle.

Last edited by hateyou : 01-12-2013 at 08:56 PM.
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM #16
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????
 
hateyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City Missouri
 has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
I thought .50 cal was dead. I guess I report should have said," on life support" not a hater, but how does this help new players if it is NOT CHEAPER?
Here's how. Everything I'm about to say is from my experiences running a field and a store.

The main benefit is slowly growing the sport. It NEVER fails that with .68 cal, if a group of 10 ten year olds come to play this is what happens.
1. At least 1/4 quit after two rounds. The knuckle shot is always almost guaranteed to get kids to quit.
2. The rentals get dropped. It's natural reaction for a beginner.
3. Welts. A lot of parents are rightfully concerned about giant welts. Send a kid to school on Monday with welts on their necks and its a problem.

So basically when kids quit during a session we sell less paint and they NEVER come back.

With .50 caliber we see:
1. Repeat business in the 9-14 range. Especially with females. It's a great date night activity because you don't get blasted nearly as badly.
2. This is a true story. We had a young group come in. Before we offered .50 cal. Like stated above half quit playing quickly. The same core of kids returned after we had the .50. They ALL played and where the time before we sold 1 case to them the first time we sold 3 the second time. That's a 300% increase in sales, and it happens a lot.
3. Lightweight. Way easy for the kids to wield. They become more engaged when the gear is appropriate to their strength and size. They also drop them considerably less.

Basically its a tool to grow our sport. I've personally moved several of our .50 cal kids into Axes and the like. They now come out at least 1 time a month if not twice.

.50 caliber is great.
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 PM #17
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????
 
hateyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City Missouri
 has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
Ok. Last post was what, 7 months ago. .50 cal has grown at such and incredible rate. Its easily 40-50% of business. Customers love it. Spyders still rolling along. After over half a year, I'm sold.
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM #18
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
One thing I'm noticing in our Low Impact (50 cal) games is that players are instinctively playing aggressively quicker. By that I mean they are getting into the action quicker, rather than staying hunkered behind bunkers afraid to move. This is most apparent with the younger and female players that are naturally more apprehensive. I personally think that is a great thing. People have much more fun and are much more likely to come back if they gt more involved in the action.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM #19
WhiteStripes
Read the Stickies
 
WhiteStripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phx, AZ
Annual Supporting Member
WhiteStripes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WhiteStripes has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
WhiteStripes supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateyou View Post
Ok. Last post was what, 7 months ago. .50 cal has grown at such and incredible rate. Its easily 40-50% of business. Customers love it. Spyders still rolling along. After over half a year, I'm sold.
That's awesome. So do you allow .68 on your .50 fields or do you separate them? I recently played at a indoor place that had .50 so I gave it a shot. They allowed mixed calibers on field and a couple of the female players quit after a couple games once some dudes showed up with their own .68 stuff and got shot by them. One girl got shot right in the throat and had a pretty large welt. So that's the only problem I can see there.
WhiteStripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM #20
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStripes View Post
That's awesome. So do you allow .68 on your .50 fields or do you separate them? I recently played at a indoor place that had .50 so I gave it a shot. They allowed mixed calibers on field and a couple of the female players quit after a couple games once some dudes showed up with their own .68 stuff and got shot by them. One girl got shot right in the throat and had a pretty large welt. So that's the only problem I can see there.
Right, but that's not a problem with 50 cal. Not even really a problem with 68 cal. Only a problem with field management.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM #21
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????
 
hateyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kansas City Missouri
 has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
We keep them separate, or what's the point.
Something that we do offer is if a group starts .50 and its not their thing, we switch out to .68 and vice versa
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump