Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM #484
99BPS

to be honest part of it is that I never understood what parents do **** like that. I come from a pretty well to do family, in fact my parents pay my college tuition and my apartment rent. So basically I live between an apartment they pay for and their house in Westchester driving a car they bought me.

AT THE SAME TIME. When i got into the sport years ago, my parents got my a Spyder Pilot for my birthday, and they thought that was wicked expensive for sports gear at the time. When I got my ion it was the FIRST thing I had ever (age 13) saved up for myself. And yes, food and such was paid for so it was easy to work just a few hours a week and save up for nice things.

After a year of playing with my Ion my team started entering tourneys. This is when I started searching on B/S/T here and PBreview (about 5-6 years ago) for my first used high end. I bought a super well upped Evil Pimp for 230 from E-Police here. I used that thing for every, but still stared at the kids half my age walking on with the NEWEST ****. It's like, thats literally 1000 just for the marker, and they have a new hopper and HPA tank too.

I was a pretty spoiled kit, still am in some ways. But the idea of my parents paying for a 1000$ paintball marker is INSANE. Even for my college graduation that is coming up in the spring I'll be happy to get a 100$ mask and my tanks rehydroed. Not that I won't get pricey gifts, im sure i'll get something very expensive. But something, like a laptop, that furthers my ambitions and my parents ambitions for me. Not a paintball marker.

And thats what I'll never understand. What type of parents think their kid needs a 1000$ marker. Honestly, I get why people who have played 10 years and pay for thier own gear buy em. I get why 17-25 year old kids who play in the national circuit buy em. I just can't imagine why little Jonny who plays weekends at the recfield, both feels he needs a 1000$ marker and convinced his parents that he did. It's MIND BLOWING, and this is some a kid who rarely had to pay for anything on his own.
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM #485
docbiddy
iBlastfools

docbiddy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
docbiddy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
docbiddy plays in the APPA D4 division
docbiddy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
most adults that buy kids the super expensive markers obviously arent very knowledgeable in the paintball field. so all they know is whats advertised and all thats advertised is the newest ****. and even if they go to a pb store the dealer might see a sucker and a quick buck. just my 2 cents tho.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM #486
99BPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbiddy View Post
most adults that buy kids the super expensive markers obviously arent very knowledgeable in the paintball field. so all they know is whats advertised and all thats advertised is the newest ****. and even if they go to a pb store the dealer might see a sucker and a quick buck. just my 2 cents tho.
I feel you, I just don't know how many families (clearly a lot) are willing to spend 1000$ on their 11yo's hobby. My parents don't think twice about dropping 40 grand on tuition, but paying over 150$ for a paintball marker would never have happened. For example, my parents had an xmas each year of 1k for each me and my brother. But we could never have asked for all of that cash on 1 or even a few items. It needed to be a bunch of things, several of which would be useful in some way achedemically. I don't understand the parents that buy their kids the newest Dye, PE, Bob Long marker, with the newest 200$ loader and a carbon fiber tank for xmas. An 11year old with two non-technically inclined parents won't have that same marker working by his 16th birthday, you can count on it being garbage or sold for far less by then.
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 PM #487
r90t
Doc

r90t is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
It's all about wanting what others have.
Think:
grade school-someone gets as $1000 BMX bike. WTF?
High School-Girl that can barely drive gets a new BMW for 16th birthday.
College-kid gets condo and tuition at University of Hawaii, same guy offered to take us skiing in Europe, we just had to cover our airfare (couldn't afford).
Post-collegearents pay $40K/year for med school for their 22 y/o son/daughter who has never worked a day in their life.
Post-med school: Parents buy house and mercedes for newly married/graduated physician.

I am now a physician. This is what I saw growing up in a middle class home bordering an upper class community. I had to put myself through school. People spend what they think is appropriate for their family, and somtimes friends. $1000 marker for a 11 y/o is no worse than a $40K car for someone just getting their driver's license. $1K to someone making 300K, is different that someone making 40K.

I would have loved to have the above opportunities, but didn't. I will give my kids most of the above opportunities, if they earn it, minus a new car. They get my old piece of crap truck. I will pay for my kids school as long as they aren't screwing around, think done in 4 years, not 6. If they need help getting started after college, I will assist themas well.

They want a $1000 paintball gun, they can borrow/have one of mine, as long as they don't abuse it.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM #488
BALLSOHARD!
Just a Balla' on a Budget

I feel you should go through the process of starting out with a beginner gun...then to intermediatte and so on....I think it makes you appreciate what you have! i lmao when i see kids at the field with all their new high end gear asking an employee...."whats chronoing?"...DAMN SON!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM #489
xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXhunter47Xx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't have a problem with them owning it, I have a problem that they have it because they did nothing to deserve it. How can I tell they did nothing? They act like snobby little *****es who disrespect their parents and their parents are too much of a pushover to do anything about it.

I guess you can say it's the parent's fault for spoiling their child.

What I really hate is when some kid with the shiny new Etek looks at me with my Kaos/Kaos Pump and they just give me "the look". I just want to smash their face in.

But kids that own new guns and gear but are friendly and open are really cool in my book.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM #490
NBTippy
ping pong champ

Annual Supporting Member
NBTippy is BST Legit
NBTippy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NBTippy plays in the APPA D5 division
NBTippy has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
spoiled kids don't bug me. Even at my age if my mom called me up and said she wanted to buy me all new paintball gear I wouldn't say no thats for sure.

I say good for them if someone is willing to buy them things.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM #491
cckynv
Cody

cckynv is playing at Living Legends VI
cckynv supports Team VICIOUS
cckynv posts videos on PbNation
cckynv has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by r90t View Post
$1K to someone making 300K, is different that someone making 40K.
/thread

This is the reason, right here. People who have the money to be able to easily afford these high-end, $1000 markers do not care about the cost. $1k to them is like $5-10k to someone making $40k/year. If it makes their kid happy, then that's what they want to see. It's no different than a parent buying their kid a car or a new baseball glove or a nice shirt.

MacDev Militia
cckynv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM #492
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports Bob Gurnsey
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
FoidPoosening is Legendary
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by r90t View Post
It's all about wanting what others have.
Think:
grade school-someone gets as $1000 BMX bike. WTF?
High School-Girl that can barely drive gets a new BMW for 16th birthday.
College-kid gets condo and tuition at University of Hawaii, same guy offered to take us skiing in Europe, we just had to cover our airfare (couldn't afford).
Post-collegearents pay $40K/year for med school for their 22 y/o son/daughter who has never worked a day in their life.
Post-med school: Parents buy house and mercedes for newly married/graduated physician.

I am now a physician. This is what I saw growing up in a middle class home bordering an upper class community. I had to put myself through school. People spend what they think is appropriate for their family, and somtimes friends. $1000 marker for a 11 y/o is no worse than a $40K car for someone just getting their driver's license. $1K to someone making 300K, is different that someone making 40K.

I would have loved to have the above opportunities, but didn't. I will give my kids most of the above opportunities, if they earn it, minus a new car. They get my old piece of crap truck. I will pay for my kids school as long as they aren't screwing around, think done in 4 years, not 6. If they need help getting started after college, I will assist themas well.

They want a $1000 paintball gun, they can borrow/have one of mine, as long as they don't abuse it.
100% agreed.

However, I think people hate on little kids with the newest gear either because they are jealous (majority, completely unreasonable) or because they do not appreciate what they have, when in fact what these little kids have is cutting edge stuff (minority, completely reasonable).

If a 14 year old kid has a $2000 setup in his hands at a field, I do NOT care whether his parents bought it for him or not. Either way, the kids purchase was good for the growth of the sport, and so is his playing at the field.

However, if the same kid with a $2000 setup comes up to me and asks me how to separate the 2 piece reverse-threaded barrel on his CSL, or how to change his gun's batteries, that irks me. If you do not have basic marker tech knowledge (let alone common sense... IE typical "more money than brains" complex), you should take the time to learn AT LEAST the basic ins and outs of your equipment. If you want to ask an intelligent question about adjusting your solenoid or something, i'll gladly help.

The same thing goes for adults. If someone is 14 or 41, it does not matter to me. It's the demeanor.

I see this all the time outside of the sport. I go to a private university outside of boston (the part not covered by my scholarship is covered by my parents) with roughly 1/5th of the student body being international. I've seen students with the same complex throw out $10k+ in clothing because they don't feel like taking it home with them, seen a student decide it was a great idea to take his porsche 911 gt with summer tires up a hill in a blizzard, seen a ferrari enzo eat a speedbump at 15+ mph.

Things like that irk me. I don't care what you have or who bought it, but if you have something nice you should understand that and treat it correctly because other people are less fortunate. While "correctly" can mean different things to different people, that is why select people (whether it be a kid or an adult) with high end equipment bother me.

Despite six classes and two jobs this year, I keep ArmoryPaintball.com going because I love paintball! A sincere thank you to all of my customers all over the world for the continued business. :)

Last edited by FoidPoosening : 02-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
FoidPoosening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM #493
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXhunter47Xx View Post
I don't have a problem with them owning it, I have a problem that they have it because they did nothing to deserve it. How can I tell they did nothing? They act like snobby little *****es who disrespect their parents and their parents are too much of a pushover to do anything about it.

I guess you can say it's the parent's fault for spoiling their child.

What I really hate is when some kid with the shiny new Etek looks at me with my Kaos/Kaos Pump and they just give me "the look". I just want to smash their face in.

But kids that own new guns and gear but are friendly and open are really cool in my book.
ETEKs are not high end, they are just smart buys. I don't understand why people get upset anymore now that the markers are more equalized. It used to be the rich kids would have electronic markers against our mechs. Now it's electronic capped vs electronic capped. All that matters these days is knowledge and skill.
  • Knowledge: to buy the right used, reliable, speedball marker knowing that it translates back to woodsball just as easy [mil-sim is a waste of money that could be spent more effectively on tournament grade hardware].
  • Skill: to take out massive amounts of people.

If someone who shoots a milsim marker complains about the rate of fire of an etek, mini, or g4, it is only because he spent his money wrong. The guy with a tournament marker probably spent less than him to get the setup that is now destroying him. A mil-sim player may have spent too much money trying to maintain the image.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 02-17-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM #494
ShaineK

I think that most people find it hard to see kids with the high end gear due to the fact that most of us started up with some sort of pump or something close to it. However, we appreciate those more than ever when we see somebody pull one out of a bag.

I must say if the kid can appreciate what they have then good. It is a great way to grow the sport and teach them how to use the equipment. I say lead them in the right directions since they are already there.
ShaineK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM #495
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
We have now spent 24 pages of posts saying the exact same thing over and over. We can let it die now.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM #496
derekjudd

The gear does not make the player.
derekjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM #497
xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXhunter47Xx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
ETEKs are not high end, they are just smart buys. I don't understand why people get upset anymore now that the markers are more equalized. It used to be the rich kids would have electronic markers against our mechs. Now it's electronic capped vs electronic capped. All that matters these days is knowledge and skill.
  • Knowledge: to buy the right used, reliable, speedball marker knowing that it translates back to woodsball just as easy [mil-sim is a waste of money that could be spent more effectively on tournament grade hardware].
  • Skill: to take out massive amounts of people.

If someone who shoots a milsim marker complains about the rate of fire of an etek, mini, or g4, it is only because he spent his money wrong. The guy with a tournament marker probably spent less than him to get the setup that is now destroying him. A mil-sim player may have spent too much money trying to maintain the image.
I understand Eteks are not high ends, but it's just an example.
You're missing my point though.

What I'm saying is I have no problem if they know how to use the marker and know how to play well.

I have a problem with those who do not know why their super high end GEO4.5.1.2 isn't shooting and they find out it's because they don't have a battery installed, as well as them trying to "snipe" out players from our home to their home on any field, not just airball.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM #498
autocockerfreak227

autocockerfreak227 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It depends on the person with the gear unless they talk crap i don't care. Im 14 but I buy everything paintball my setup is 2010 proto slg and i used to have my first built cocker pump (traded). As long as the kid is nice I don't care but if the kid talks crap i get mad and shoot him out.
autocockerfreak227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 PM #499
Sirriko
WAKA WAKA

Annual Supporting Member
Sirriko is playing at Living Legends VI
Sirriko owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Sirriko supports Team VICIOUS
Sirriko supports Team VICIOUS
Sirriko posts videos on PbNation
Sirriko has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Sure they think they are "all that"
Sure they make us jealous
Sure they get there gear for money they dont have while we work our arses off

BUT HEY GUESS WHAT?
I Like them because how else do you think I get my cheap gear!?!? Just recently my cousin bought white Grillz off of one from our local field (who is actually really a nice kid who just farts and runs away) for 15 bucks included with 2 lenses!

Canadian eh? Would you like a donut?
Sirriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM #500
Pirhana1992

For me, its the attitude of some of them. They think they're hot crap and all that and a bag of potato chips. But I've seen just as many adults with all new 2012 gear, the $1500 marker and they go out there and think that they own the place and are complete jerks to everyone.

It annoys me more when adults do it than kids cause adults should know better. If kids want their parents to buy them Luxes and Ego's....cool. I'll just ask them if I can use them and they usually say yes.

I try and be nice to everyone reguardless of gear.
Pirhana1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 PM #501
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
No bull, I once asked a guy why he bought his son a BMW for his birthday.

Because I tagged his friends mom and I only see him 2 weekends a month.

Same goes with the 13 year old with a Luxe.

Last edited by Christian P : 03-02-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM #502
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

thepaintballkidd supports Team VICIOUS
thepaintballkidd plays in the APPA beginner division
thepaintballkidd supports DLX Technology
thepaintballkidd supports Empire
Even though I hate to say it, my parents kinda spoil me with stuff. Its not like I have a luxe, ego, geo or anything like that (I bought a used etek3), or I shouldn't say that I bought it because my parents bought it for me and Im fine admitting that. I have probably paid for maybe 30% of my gear and I earned that money working for my dad. It's not like I beg my mom and dad to buy my new stuff constantly, but because they make more than the average person they are OK with getting me something new if its a decent price. What I am trying to say is that to some parents paintball isn't worth spending a lot of money on. If I see someone kid my age (14) that has a brand new custom luxe then Im not going to be mad at him, I might be jealous, but if his parents think that it is worth spending money on then so be it, I cant do anything about.
thepaintballkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM #503
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I always am assumed to be a spoiled kid even though I have paid for every thing I own. My parents bought me a tippmann a-5 when I was 10 and just getting to the sport. I used that haven't for a year and a half then I got into speedball. I had to work and save for my proto slg. My parents supported me but didn't pay for any of my stuff at all. That worked until my friends and I started playing competitively then I saved up for a nice used axe which was pretty cool when they where a new gun. After using that for a few months I traded up to my current g6r. So no not all of use are spoiled. I worked and traded to get my current gear. The only thing my parents bought me was my first gun which was $100. I payed for all my paint, entry and gear. Just a thought to think before you jump to conclusions about kids having nice gear. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM #504
dragonight1843

My mom got me a case of paint once...

Under 18 an buy all my own gear.
dragonight1843 is offline   Reply With Quote