ReplyNews Ups

Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 AM #211
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Team.Infected supports Team VICIOUS
Team.Infected posts videos on PbNation
Team.Infected plays in the APPA D4 division
Team.Infected supports Empire
On another note I hope teams that once played psp and stopped or play in other leagues but not psp come join the psp league now. A team like xsv would be a nice sight back in psp. Ton tons are already joined up. Curious to see if and which other pro teams from other leagues join
Team.Infected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM #212
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Shootingropes plays in the PSP
Shootingropes is an NCPA player
Shootingropes supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3s0h0rn7 View Post
Semi-LOL-Pro.

I couldn’t imagine how things could get much worse.

Isn’t the point of all this to sell water-balloons and “chew the fat” of our Nation’s soft core violent interests? How does this do that?

Instead of acting to work with others the PSP continues to cater to the like-mindedness of an overly burdened marketplace in the hopes of selling a privatized game format. I don’t know how these people can afford to put together a package like this, both in the sense of purpose and financially.

Basically it guarantees that half of the former Pro teams working towards investment are now “challengers”? The PSP rips off an NPPL stand-by division, but instead cuts its leading marketing production in half?

They weren’t selling hot dogs to begin with, how will they ever convince those mutts to stick around?

The further down this path they go the more convinced I am that tournament paintball appeals to those without creativity in a vacuum of sales.

Statistics show that sameness in social environments produces asymmetry and eventually polarization to the point of, let’s just say, moral and evolutionary bankruptcy. I’m sure there isn’t a far off corollary here.

(Then again, I play for free, so none of this effects me whatsoever. What can I say, I am bias.).
What the **** are you talking about, Mr. Hawkings?

For Sale: Project Geo
Shootingropes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 AM #213
Team.Infected
Beast Coast

Team.Infected supports Team VICIOUS
Team.Infected posts videos on PbNation
Team.Infected plays in the APPA D4 division
Team.Infected supports Empire
I wonder how long it took him to write that while looking at the dictionary and thesaurus every other word lol
Team.Infected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 AM #214
n3s7
Gotta get that money!

n3s7 plays in the PSP
n3s7 is an NCPA player
n3s7 plays in the APPA D4 division
n3s7 supports DLX Technology
dude, you're trying too hard...
Justin Prather #17
project-K
MACDEVMILTIA
n3s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 AM #215
Pando

Pando works for a Paintball manufacturer
Pando plays in the PSP
Pando posts videos on PbNation
Pando is an NCPA player
Pando plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPB-ChristianW

... all it does is raise the stakes. What paintball lacks is interest in the "lesser known" teams - the "why should I care" factor. This makes us even care about those games where we otherwise wouldn't and elegantly solves the scheduling difficulties of a huge pro division (at the cost of another field...ouch!). So I'd give Raehl credit for the idea. But the "I don't care who plays just make them fight it out with broken bottles in the parking lot to see" sounds redneck enough to be Lane. On the other hand the story telling potential sounds like Matty... All in all a good compromise.
Nailed it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 AM #216
BIGCAN-RULES
#UNDR #ACPB #HK

Annual Supporting Member
BIGCAN-RULES plays in the APPA D4 division
BIGCAN-RULES supports DLX Technology
Thumbs up

Everyones entitled to their opinion (except E-thesauraus guy) but to me as a fan, the PSP has put something in place that will allow me to see the best possible paintball being played anywhere. Only the absolute best will compete in the premier division and these "top" teams will have to continually practice, prepare,etc to remain on top all season (Patriots anyone?). My only question, will rosters be locked at a given point to stop the shipjumpers? Contracts being signed and enforceable by the league would take the sport that extra step it needs towards legitimacy.

Great move PSP, can't wait to see Dynasty and vicious on the podium in dallas
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 AM #217
Trey A
TreyA

Annual Supporting Member
Trey A plays in the PSP
Trey A supports Team VICIOUS
Trey A supports Team VICIOUS
Trey A supports DLX Technology
How willl they do series prize for challengers division!!??
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 AM #218
UndecidedPball
-Emerson-

UndecidedPball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
UndecidedPball plays in the APPA D3 division
I think that some people in this thread don't understand the whole point of the new format. The Challenger division is NOT a semi-pro division. That division is ment so the bottom two teams from Dallas be able to have a chance of winning at the 2nd event. It makes sense with what PSP is doing. Why give teams like CEP the chance to be able to play the best paintball teams and just get smashed. Bring some d1 teams up to the Challenger division and have CEP prove themselves there. If teams really think they can play at the pro level it shouldnt be handed to them and if they cant perform why let them stay. Make them work for their spot
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM #219
stingi17
Stay Ruthless.

Annual Supporting Member
stingi17 plays in the PSP
stingi17 supports our troops
stingi17 is an NCPA player
stingi17 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
stingi17 plays in the APPA D4 division
stingi17 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndecidedPball View Post
I think that some people in this thread don't understand the whole point of the new format. The Challenger division is NOT a semi-pro division. That division is ment so the bottom two teams from Dallas be able to have a chance of winning at the 2nd event. It makes sense with what PSP is doing. Why give teams like CEP the chance to be able to play the best paintball teams and just get smashed. Bring some d1 teams up to the Challenger division and have CEP prove themselves there. If teams really think they can play at the pro level it shouldnt be handed to them and if they cant perform why let them stay. Make them work for their spot
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 AM #220
smarthomes

smarthomes plays in the PSP
smarthomes plays in the APPA Pro division
The CEP guys won 2 events their D1 year and got 2nd at Cup behind Ton Tons (that decided to play D1). There were only 4 events that year. Nothing was given to us and we didn't buy our Pro spot. We might of been able to stay D1, but we decided to step up and play the best teams in the World. It hasn't been pretty, but we can't afford to pay allstars and for endless skids of practice paint either. We love playing paintball, so we keep on grinding trying to become better players and a better team.

I agree with the changes being made and CEP looks forward to the season. The simple fact is that there is a huge gap between D1 and Pro and the changes the PSP are making will help develop new pro teams and keep it exciting for the fans.
smarthomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM #221
vivriley71083

i think it is going to be good for the sport
vivriley71083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM #222
*Daylight*

*Daylight* plays in the PSP
*Daylight* plays in the APPA D3 division
dumb. should make the relegation like pro soccer.
*Daylight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM #223
baddogh27
Idk my bff Squash?

baddogh27 plays in the PSP
baddogh27 is an NCPA player
baddogh27 plays in the APPA D4 division
Soccer and paintball are different the NPPL tried that and it just ended up with dynasty and xsv owning two pro spots. I am not saying it couldn't work but I like the way it is laid out. I am not sure but I feel like it was also stated that their would be prizes for the teams who place in challengers, hopefully they will be better than d1 prizes. This is a great step for our sport all of the points and all of the matches will matter more. And you won't have to see all these matches that are just formalities.
Peter Velardi Fan Club Member #2
baddogh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM #224
Henrybg
Notorious

Annual Supporting Member
Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3s0h0rn7 View Post
Semi-LOL-Pro.

I couldn’t imagine how things could get much worse.

Isn’t the point of all this to sell water-balloons and “chew the fat” of our Nation’s soft core violent interests? How does this do that?

Instead of acting to work with others the PSP continues to cater to the like-mindedness of an overly burdened marketplace in the hopes of selling a privatized game format. I don’t know how these people can afford to put together a package like this, both in the sense of purpose and financially.

Basically it guarantees that half of the former Pro teams working towards investment are now “challengers”? The PSP rips off an NPPL stand-by division, but instead cuts its leading marketing production in half?

They weren’t selling hot dogs to begin with, how will they ever convince those mutts to stick around?

The further down this path they go the more convinced I am that tournament paintball appeals to those without creativity in a vacuum of sales.

Statistics show that sameness in social environments produces asymmetry and eventually polarization to the point of, let’s just say, moral and evolutionary bankruptcy. I’m sure there isn’t a far off corollary here.

(Then again, I play for free, so none of this effects me whatsoever. What can I say, I am bias.).
This helps to bridge a gap not to cater to your interests
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM #225
i EaT yEaRbOoKs....
O city

i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... plays in the PSP
i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... plays in the APPA D4 division
So what does this do with the prizes? Pro normally wins 10k right? Will there be a set amount in for the challengers division? Or is the prize playing for the 10k next event?

I'm free
Pick me up
Ill be in frisco,TX
i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM #226
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxinvision View Post
It blows my mind how crucial this makes event 4.
mfw heat, damage, and russians all choke and play challenger for wc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
Only two teams drop down...

Plus, when you consider points, winning World Cup doesn't mean the slightest bit more than winning any other event. I'm not seeing how this makes the fourth event "crucial."
Theoretically possible. Let's take four high level teams as examples. Dynasty, Heat, Legion, Damage. Chicago 2013, Damage and Heat drop their respective balls, and come in dead last in the Champions division, relegating them to the Challengers division for Event 4. At Event 4, Dynasty and Legion have a bad weekend, placing bottom two in Champions, which relegates them to Challengers division for Cup. Meanwhile, in the Challengers division at Event 4, Heat and Damage fail to take top two spots, which keeps them in Challengers for Cup.

This is kind of the beauty of the setup - the face of each of the divisions of the pro level will always be changing. It's not guaranteed that the top/bottom two teams will always be swapping. Half of each division could, in theory, be different going to Cup than it is going into Event 2.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM #227
kwik
Herbal Cultivar M.D.

Annual Supporting Member
kwik is a Supporting Member
kwik is playing at Living Legends VI
kwik is playing at Living Legends VII
kwik supports Team VICIOUS
kwik supports Pev's Paintball
kwik is Legendary
kwik supports Empire
the only issue with the theoretical setup described by pump is you then have 4 of the top teams, the ones with the most fans, in the dvision not being televised except for their finals match.

I dont have an issue with this per say, but I wonder what kind of issues it may cause with those watching the telecasts wanting to see those teams.

ICD-Owners
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM #228
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
And that's the motivation for the teams to rock the house. It's not likely to happen that way, but it's possible. The teams in the Champions division will have to stay motivated to stay out of the bottom two spots, and the teams in the Challengers division will be motivated to scratch their way into their top two. Could the whole thing cause issues for the teams? You bet it could. But it's also going to make sure that if there's a team that's well past their prime, or came up too soon, or whatever the case may be, they're not going to be constantly in the top divisions based on nothing stronger than a long-standing name, or team owner. The cream will rise to the top, as it should be.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM #229
robs45
Big Man

Annual Supporting Member
robs45 donated to help Peyton Trent
robs45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
robs45 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
robs45 is Boss
robs45 supports DLX Technology
I just hope the other teams that will fill the challengers division are teams that have earned it or are regulated up. Not a throw together d3 team trying to prove themselves.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM #230
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
This will fail and be changed next year or at worst, the year after. This seems like someone pulled "a bright idea" out of their *** or made a "what if" comment in passing and is now trying to shoe-horn it into existence. I can see this type of relegation working on the season level(like the NPPL did), but not the event level. I'd be curious to find out how many pro teams were consulted on this idea, because they really have nothing to win yet have everything to lose.

Teams playing different divisions at each event? Players changing teams or guesting in order to play another division? Sounds like a confusing way to fix a ranking/division problem to me. If they want to inspire better competition at the pro level, they should just create a basic semi-pro division then increase the entry cost into the pro division. Eventually, the lower level pro teams will get tired of paying extra to get smashed and they will drop down to where they belong. And if they don't drop down, it's their own fault.
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM #231
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
There are plans to lock rosters so players can't team jump when their team fails to make the cut to play in the Champions League for a tournament. So that shouldn't be an issue.

And the PSP has allowed teams that aren't on par with the rest of the league to stick around in the past. They don't drop down easily. Remember Ultimate? CEP is in danger of a similar legacy (seewhatididthere?). Renaming D1 to "semi-pro" won't make them drop down faster. A lot of us are tired of watching the brutally unfair match ups event after event.

Plus, a 10 team true Pro division fixes other problems. Most the Pro teams who played World Cup went 3-1 but two of the most popular teams in paintball went home because of tie breakers. A 10 team division means we won't have an 8 way tie like that and teams get to play everyone in their division so advancement is more fair. Plus it allows new teams to break in without getting a soul crushing schedule.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.