Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM #64
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Never been a big fan of JEM, or any Ibanez electric (save for their artcores), to be honest. So I don't have much to say about it other than "meh"

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM #65
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

qu1cks1lver56 is playing at Living Legends III
qu1cks1lver56 supports Team VICIOUS
qu1cks1lver56 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
qu1cks1lver56 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I love the artcores. Been thinking about one as my next guitar
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM #66
Stagger Lee

The AM73B looks cool, I'll give you that. I'm drifting toward the RG family because of how comfortable they are, and I already have a solid mahogany Schecter that isn't lacking any beefiness. dat flat maple fretboard
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM #67
Treghc

All of the Artcore guitars are pretty damned good bang for your buck. They play and feel incredible for their price.

The RG's are hit and miss (mostly miss for me). I do have to say that I detest the looks of the guitar though, so that weighs in a bit. There's just something about the Ibanez electrics that I can't get in to. They either feel cheap and light or like a clunky tank. I can't ever seem to find one that I like, unless it's an Artcore.

Do you have strat? Everyone should have one

My next guitar is probably going to be a Warmoth order, spec'd exactly how I want. That'll be a little while though. I've got more than enough to hold me over.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 AM #68
Stagger Lee

I had a Mexican Stratocaster for 6 months and got rid of it. I don't like 22 fret necks and didn't like the sound, which is what ultimately lead me to get the Schecter and stick with it for years. I actually love the light feel of most RGs, though I sometimes use the weight of my Schecter for bigger bends. Honestly, it's not so much that I dislike Telecasters and Strats, it's that I like other guitars much more. Pickups and parts can always be swapped out, so my next guitar purchase is going to be heavily influenced by feel.

Last edited by Stagger Lee : 01-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM #69
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
I had a Mexican Stratocaster for 6 months and got rid of it. I don't like 22 fret necks and didn't like the sound, which is what ultimately lead me to get the Schecter and stick with it for years. I actually love the light feel of most RGs, though I sometimes use the weight of my Schecter for bigger bends. Honestly, it's not so much that I dislike Telecasters and Strats, it's that I like other guitars much more. Pickups and parts can always be swapped out, so my next guitar purchase is going to be heavily influenced by feel.
Plenty fair. The 22 fret necks are a bit bothersome for me too, but I've learned to enjoy changing up my playing style with strats. It's a vastly different guitar from my Schecter and forces me to attack the instrument with a different mindset and attitude.

I'm still yearning for an SG with P90's. That and a Tele. Or a strat with soapbars. I just don't know... haha.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM #70
Stagger Lee

Wait a little while, look at these previews for NAMM. Schecter is coming out with amps, there are new EVH guitars, tons of new pedals and effects, an array of 7 and 8 strings from Ibanez, and plenty more.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM #71
burningcow422
is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post

I'm still yearning for an SG with P90's.
Do itttt. My P90 guitar sounds soo nice.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM #72
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
I'm still yearning for an SG with P90's. That and a Tele. Or a strat with soapbars. I just don't know... haha.
I could have hooked you up with some OG P90's gutted from an old Harmony...

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM #73
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
I could have hooked you up with some OG P90's gutted from an old Harmony...
I don't have a guitar to put them in

But I guess I could've kept them til I did get a guitar for 'em

And... I'll just leave this here:

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM #74
Stagger Lee

Told you Ibanez was coming out with some wicked stuff . I think 9 strings is ridiculous, but I'm sure some community is rejoicing with the new 7-8-9 models they introduced.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM #75
PBFreak875
IOT's Pet Canadian

PBFreak875 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PBFreak875 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Could be Hugh Mansons 15 string beast.

Can't find a bigger pic, but it's a 6 string bass, 6 string guitar and additional high A, D and G strings.

Also, picked up a Warlock body from a friend. Just needs paint, hardware and a neck to be up and running. I have most of it already, just need to double check the scale length on the neck I have and what the body is.

"Originally posted by Muff Muff: The best ideas always come in either dreams or while drunk."

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
PBFreak875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM #76
Stagger Lee

Just spent 45 minutes restringing, lowering the action and getting the intonation perfect on my Schecter. Went from a little over 3mm down to 2mm, it feels so much faster without having any buzz. I'll have to raise the high e side a little bit, at this height I see the fretwear has become an issue, which I guess is common on well used guitars. As soon as you bend past where the 12-17 frets are worn, the notes go dead.

I blame Treghc for turning me on to 11s.

Last edited by Stagger Lee : 01-28-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM #77
earlsweatshirt (Banned)

I wish I could just like inherit a really good guitar, too many expenses to budget in a new one.
earlsweatshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM #78
<3applesAndoranges<3

y'all whack? y'all whack.

<3applesAndoranges<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM #79
Treghc

Quote:
Just spent 45 minutes restringing, lowering the action and getting the intonation perfect on my Schecter. Went from a little over 3mm down to 2mm, it feels so much faster without having any buzz. I'll have to raise the high e side a little bit, at this height I see the fretwear has become an issue, which I guess is common on well used guitars. As soon as you bend past where the 12-17 frets are worn, the notes go dead.

I blame Treghc for turning me on to 11s.
11's are perfect

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM #80
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

qu1cks1lver56 is playing at Living Legends III
qu1cks1lver56 supports Team VICIOUS
qu1cks1lver56 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
qu1cks1lver56 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jeez, I play 9's on my **** lol
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 PM #81
Stagger Lee

Quote:
11's are perfect
I agree, but they put too much wear on my frets, probably because of how I play. My next guitar will be 10s I think. Believe it or not, the issue I was having before with the G string wasn't because of the tuner slipping, but the string is binding in the nut. I'll file it next time I have the strings off.

FYI, I used 9s for years, but now they feel like nothing under my fingers. The 11s sound the best IMO while still being flexible and light enough to bend...but my vibrato suffers.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM #82
burningcow422
is this real?

10-46's on my mustang and my les paul, 9-46's on my strat, and 11s on my RG. RG is tuned to D standard so it feels pretty good. I don't see myself changing guages on anything any time soon, though on my mustang I can probably tune to Eb with 11s and it will feel fine. Love 24' scale other than the frets getting cramped higher up on the board. And I'm a small guy.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM #83
Treghc

Quote:
I agree, but they put too much wear on my frets, probably because of how I play. My next guitar will be 10s I think. Believe it or not, the issue I was having before with the G string wasn't because of the tuner slipping, but the string is binding in the nut. I'll file it next time I have the strings off.

FYI, I used 9s for years, but now they feel like nothing under my fingers. The 11s sound the best IMO while still being flexible and light enough to bend...but my vibrato suffers.
Yeah... I'm starting to develop a couple of dead spots on some frets with mine. Need to get them reshaped. They still have plenty of overall life left. They just feel and sound perfect. A bit harder to bend (though not much), but you don't have to bend as far. I will agree that vibrato takes a bit more practice/work, but like most other things, it's just muscle memory.

I do prefer 9's on the strat though.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM #84
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

I've noticed 11's feel "tighter" on my Carvin than on my Gretsch. Which I think has more to do with the Floyd than scale length. I may consider switching to 10's, but I'd much rather just do a custom "perfect tension" set out of a mix-n-match, since there always seems to be an unequal string or two out of normal pre-made sets.

Biggest difference though: Gretsch's frets from 3-12 on the D through B strings are worn to **** and need reshaped asap. I get buzz on every string no matter where I play. The Carvin on the other hand has stainless steel frets and will never ever wear out lol.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is online now   Reply With Quote