Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM #22
SilentBall55

I say keep your mechs. With the 12bps cap, mechs fit in just right.

Mechs are so much more reliable over electros because I own several electros over the years and can make that statement.

My Black Magic Cocker has gone through three PE boards in the eblade frame and one solenoid and that was finally converted to a mech Cocker.

My Matrix had a failed board and then a solenoid, then finally the bolt broke and in the end became a wall hanger. My old Timmy had a fail board which also became a wall hanger. My Fenix Spyder had a clapper solenoid failed and got replaced and now working fine.

Had DP G3 and G4, but sold them because of bolt stick. Not enough time to see electronic failure.

Also have a Etha, that seems to be working fine so far. (knock on wood)

My mech Cockers and Spyders are over 10 years old and still rocking. The only electro I have now is the DP FX which is still holding up for how long.

Last edited by SilentBall55 : 01-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM #23
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vegard is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBall55 View Post
I say keep your mechs. With the 12bps cap, mechs fit in just right.

Mechs are so much more reliable over electros because I own several electros over the years and can make that statement.

My Black Magic Cocker has gone through three PE boards in the eblade frame and one solenoid and that was finally converted to a mech Cocker.

My Matrix had a failed board and then a solenoid, then finally the bolt broke and in the end became a wall hanger. My old Timmy had a fail board which also became a wall hanger. My Fenix Spyder had a clapper solenoid failed and got replaced and now working fine.

Had DP G3 and G4, but sold them because of bolt stick. Not enough time to see electronic failure.

Also have a Etha, that seems to be working fine so far. (knock on wood)

My mech Cockers and Spyders are over 10 years old and still rocking. The only electro I have now is the DP FX which is still holding up for how long.
You can buy new boards

Though in a sense I do agree, mechanical markers can last alot longer if maintained properly.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM #24
SilentBall55

After three PE board replacements, I was not prepared for the fourth one. That's why it got converted to mech.

I have not spent a single penny on replacement parts on my mechs, but almost all my electros have electronic failures.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM #25
backblock

my 12 year old dark angel still works fine, though the battery doesnt last too long and it is comically huge compared to modern guns.

I played with the ripper on friday. I had to make the cocking rod just a smidge longer to prevent it from bumping past the sear but after that it shot flawlessly. The young guy at the field said he had seen one of "those" in many years
backblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM #26
jdoohen
5th year n00b

Amazing marker.
I'd be too nervous to take something like that out to the field.
jdoohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM #27
backblock

Nah it made me sad that it was sitting in a box for a decade. It told me it wants to get out and play. Besides I played 100s of games with it a long time ago so whats a few dozen more.

The ref at the field told me he was impressed by how well it shot being nearly as old as him.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM #28
Oldandsneaky
Still My Pump Badge

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by backblock View Post
thanks guys. i am turning it electro and just got done drilling it for eyes...........just kidding. I kinda think the old timey drop forward looks period correct so i will leave it on for now
I wish I had a dollar for every heart attack you just caused!
Oldandsneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM #29
DefTone
finger lickin good

Annual Supporting Member
DefTone is a Supporting Member
DefTone is a founding member
DefTone supports Team VICIOUS
This is me hating you....

You wanna make $14 the hard way?
DefTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM #30
LlamaRama

Quote:
Originally Posted by backblock View Post
when did drop forwards fall from grace? When I was really into playing choosing the right drop forward was a fun part of building.

A few years ago I bought an invert mini for my occasional paintball outings. I dont mind playing without a drop forward at all, but my oldschool guns with them still seem to shoulder alright. Its funny 12 years ago I would never consider playing without a drop forward. Today it seems like people feel the opposite. I think either is fine for me now, but the last time I was "serious" about paintball our economy was in good shape and I had a full head of hair.
Drops were never comfortable. They hurt the wrists. That's why the Z-grip was invented. The wrist isn't meant to pull on something at those angles.

The whole philosophy was, make the gun as short as possible so you could get as close to the bunker so you would present less of a target.

Then the people realized two things: Drops made the gun hurt your wrist and it was unnecessary to make the gun short, because a long barrel lets you push down on the sup' air bunkers.

And thus, the era of 10 inch barrels and drop forwards went away.
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
LlamaRama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM #31
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is Boss
Drops are still in use, just not as much, some can be really comfy depending on the tank setup.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM #32
SilentBall55

Although people prefer a 45 deg frame, it is actually the least comfortable because you don't hold the gun at arm's length for shooting. Instead you tuck the gun close to your face, thus Angel had it right with the 90 deg and CCM with the 86 deg.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 AM #33
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is Boss
That's about as personal preference as a drop would be, to me 90/86 frames are akward to hold and use.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM #34
backblock

I still like mild drops. I cant get comfortable with my mini. I think because it is so small and long. I am thinking about putting a drop on it .