PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM #1
yesme

Here comes the good times again!!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...ectations-2009

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/20...moderated.html

Led by declines in production-related indicators, the Chicago Fed National Activity Index (CFNAI) decreased to +0.02 in December from +0.27 in November. Two of the four broad categories of indicators that make up the index decreased from November, and only two of the four categories made positive contributions to the index in December.

The index’s three-month moving average, CFNAI-MA3, edged up from –0.13 in November to –0.11 in December—its tenth consecutive reading below zero. December’s CFNAI-MA3 suggests that growth in national economic activity was below its historical trend. The economic growth reflected in this level of the CFNAI-MA3 suggests subdued inflationary pressure from economic activity over the coming year.
yesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM #2
Space Pope

Yes yes, the economy is going to crash and we are doomed. We get it. You have been going on about it for years with all the other nonsense.
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM #3
yesme

"The
comprehensive long-term fiscal projections presented in the unaudited Required
Supplementary Information section of the 2012 Financial Report of the United States
Government (2012 Financial Report) show that—absent policy changes—the federal
government continues to face an unsustainable fiscal path." http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/651357.pdf
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM #4
Space Pope

Did you read and understand the entire report, yesme? You have proved to be "read some highlights and make drastic leaps of logic" guy in the past.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM #5
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesme View Post
"The
comprehensive long-term fiscal projections presented in the unaudited Required
Supplementary Information section of the 2012 Financial Report of the United States
Government (2012 Financial Report) show that—absent policy changes—the federal
government continues to face an unsustainable fiscal path." http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/651357.pdf
This sounds familiar. I think people have known this for a while now.
Quote:
It is noteworthy that preventing the debt-to-GDP ratio from rising over the next 75 years requires that primary surpluses be substantially positive on average. This is true because projected GDP growth is on average smaller than the projected government borrowing rate over the next 75 years. The implication is that debt would grow faster than GDP if primary surpluses were zero on average. For example, if the primary surplus was precisely zero in every year, then debt would grow at the rate of interest in every year, which would be faster than GDP growth.

Last edited by benji25 : 01-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM #6
licence2kill
POOP

Projecting 75 years in the future is a completely useless and meaningless gesture.
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM #7
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
Projecting 75 years in the future is a completely useless and meaningless gesture.
How so? Sure some details may not be perfect but it is not exactly hard to see that the current model is unsustainable long term.

To my knowledge you are one of a very few who supports going further into debt.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM #8
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post
How so? Sure some details may not be perfect but it is not exactly hard to see that the current model is unsustainable long term.

To my knowledge you are one of a very few who supports going further into debt.

Models can't even predict weather accurately out to a week and you're expecting models of human behavior to be accurate 75 years out?

"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM #9
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post

Models can't even predict weather accurately out to a week and you're expecting models of human behavior to be accurate 75 years out?

Not even comparable. Weather is a scientific measurement that no one can predict.

However, projecting what would happen in different scenarios is more an art than a science. The report isn't claiming it will know what GDP is in 75 years. It is saying, that based on how we are acting to today, if we continue to act as we historically have, this is where we will probably be in 75 years.

Will it be 100% accurate? No. But do you think a lot of time and money went in to their analysis and that it can somewhat be relied on.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM #10
F1VENOM

Quote:
Not even comparable. Weather is a scientific measurement that no one can predict.

However, projecting what would happen in different scenarios is more an art than a science. The report isn't claiming it will know what GDP is in 75 years. It is saying, that based on how we are acting to today, if we continue to act as we historically have, this is where we will probably be in 75 years.

Will it be 100% accurate? No. But do you think a lot of time and money went in to their analysis and that it can somewhat be relied on.
Weather is a scientific measurement?

Look at how much we've changed over ~3 administrations. You seriously think the next 3 or 10+ are going to be the same?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM #11
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:

There is a joke among economists. Why do economists exist? To make weathermen look good. Economics is hardly a predictable subject. Predicting 75 years out is absurd.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM #12
jamest91

jamest91 helped look for balloons
jamest91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jamest91 is for the Gunfight
jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
the founding fathers did a decent job at predicting ahead of their time.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM #13
yesme

Quote:
Weather is a scientific measurement?

Look at how much we've changed over ~3 administrations. You seriously think the next 3 or 10+ are going to be the same?
Yeah i can see how we have changed over the last 5 admins, can you?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM #14
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:

Is that adjusted for real dollars or as a percentage of gdp?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM #15
jamest91

Quote:

inb4 pbnation leftists come in and call you a moron.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM #16
Space Pope

I always enjoy a good "yesme makes himself look stupid" thread.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM #17
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest91 View Post
Are you saying rightests are too dumb to figureout he's dumb?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM #18
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
You can answer this for him: Is that graph adjusted for real dollars or is it adjusted as a percentage of gdp? Or neither?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM #19
jamest91

Quote:
Are you saying rightests are too dumb to figureout he's dumb?
no, im just saying his post shall lead to the flocking of the left wing guys in here, which will end ultimately with name calling and insults I am sure.

here is an illustration for a debt to gdp ratio with the last couple presidencies showing change. I miss Clinton

Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM #20
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
no, im just saying his post shall lead to the flocking of the left wing guys in here, which will end ultimately with name calling and insults I am sure.
Because his post was incredibly stupid. You can't look at 70 years of economic information without making adjustments.

Last edited by TheSilentAssassin : 01-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM #21
F1VENOM

Quote:
no, im just saying his post shall lead to the flocking of the left wing guys in here, which will utimately with name calling and insults I am sure.

here is an illustration for a debt to gdp ratio with the last couple presidencies showing change. I miss Clinton
Go through and see who starts the name calling and I think you'd be surprised to find it's often linked to the pleas to emotion, forefathers, tradition, etc. that define a certain political party.