Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM #1
loudmuff

In-line regulator for Tippmann A5

Can somebody post pictures of their Tippmann A5 with a inline regulator attached to it? I can't seem to find information on regulators that work with the A5 other than this following link for Palmers: http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/a5-fe...kit-p-896.html

What other types are out there that work with the A5?
loudmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM #2
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
You don't need a regulator. The A5 is designed to work without it and adding one will do nothing at best or more likely hurt performance.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM #3
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
I think you can screw any reg right into the vertical adaptor the hose leads up to, right in front of the trigger guard and behind the foregrip. May need to trim here or there for the girth of some regs, but i've seen A-5's with regs there.

A reg can improve performance, but not particularly by itself. Reg + internal upgrades can increase efficiency & consistency. However, i don't know how that'll affect the Cyclone feed since it feeds off vented air, the amount of which could change if you change things.

Last edited by nerdcore : 01-21-2013 at 01:05 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM #4
loudmuff

I am looking into a flatline barrel which is why I am looking into a regulator. I found several people saying that if you keep the FPS to a point where it's consistently spot on that it the flatline works well.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM #5
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
The flatline and the apex barrel don't work. As you get further out the likelyhood the the paintball breaking goes down. At the full reach of the flatline even tourney paint won't break. So, it doesn't do a whole lot of good to have the ability to hit someone that far away when the paint doesn't break and all it does it tell the other team where you are ruining the element of surprise just far enough away so the other team can beat you to death before they have to engage the advancing enemy who is now fully prepared for them.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-21-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM #6
loudmuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Also, the A5 is nothing but a cheap hunk of metal. Most fields use it or its older brother(98c) as rentals.
First off Paper_Cut if I wanted your opinion about the A5 I would ask for it. I am simply inquiring about inline regulators for the A5. I'm pretty sure your comment violates Rule # 2 of the New Player Help sub-forum which states:
Quote:
No flaming will be tolerated. Flaming consists of excessive insults of an offensive nature. Flames can be directed toward individuals, groups, companies, etc., and none of these types are permissible under PBNation rules. Posts or threads containing flames will be edited, closed, or deleted by the moderators at their sole discretion. The decision of what is a flame and what isn’t rests solely with the moderators.
Secondly, I play woodsball not speedball and am looking for a more direct shot so I don't have to arch as much where as the branches get in the way.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM #7
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmuff View Post
First off Paper_Cut if I wanted your opinion I would ask for it. I'm pretty sure your comment violates Rule # 2 of the New Player Help sub-forum which states:

Secondly, I play woodsball not speedball and am looking for a more direct shot so I don't have to arch as much where as the branches get in the way.
I worked as a paintball tech in a store, I fixed A5's all day long. I'm not saying the A5 is a cheap piece of metal because I don't like it, I'm saying that because they cut more corners than a circle factory. It is one of the least reliable gun I've ever seen, its a ripoff.

And I know you play woodsball, why else would you have a tippman A5 and think a flatline was a good idea? The rules of what makes a good paintball gun aren't the same as what makes a real gun.

This can go down two ways: you can either ignore me and buy the flatline and slowly learn how much of a mistake you've made; or you can listen to me and avoid wasting the money. I've been where you are, I've done what you're about to do, I'm trying to save you from yourself.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 01-21-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM #8
loudmuff

Thank you for your concern. To be honest the price tag on it is kind of a turn off. I am just floating ideas around in my head.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM #9
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Trying to help as well. I wouldn't invest any money in an A5 either. Your better off saving up for a better gun all together or just using it as is... All of those upgrades add up and before you know it your spending 500 on a gun that offers a slight fraction of the performance you can get out of a 300 new gun or in some cases a 100 used gun.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM #10
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Also, those long shot flatline Barrel shots are inaccurate and it's very rare they actually break on the person.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM #11
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmuff View Post
Thank you for your concern. To be honest the price tag on it is kind of a turn off. I am just floating ideas around in my head.
If you really want to try it out, empire makes a barrel called the apex which does pretty much the same thing for 1/3 the price. And get the 14'' if you do decide to go with the apex. Longer barrels will just hurt the air efficiency.

However, the flatline/apex will do what it says it will do(make the ball fly further straighter) however, trying to pick people off from far away will more than not result in a bounce.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM #12
loudmuff

Gotcha. Actually my brother in law has the apex on his Tippmann carver. I will have to check it out. Probobly won't get it since since I already have a J@J (?) 14" barrel on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM #13
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
I find upgrading ANY gun to be a worthwhile and enjoyable endeavor, so lets try to answer the original question.

On my personal old A5 I added a regulator and did find more consistent shots and velocity, especially when using CO2 (with an anti-siphon tube installed of course). Less noticeable improvement with HPA, since it's already regulated to an extent and most tanks output at a pressure the A5 is quite happy at.

This one was also paired with a home made low pressure conversion, though I can't recommend that route, especially combined with a RT kit (this particular build was to camp on a hill and dump lots and lots of paint down a key trail, with the scope for checking arm band colors, that was added after a half hour long battle against my own team the previous big game ). RT's like all the pressure you can cram into it. The cyclone will function just fine down til about 400-500 psi, so as long as you can get velocity above that things will work fine.

I don't have a picture handy with that particular linked reg on an A5, but I do have a similar setup on a different gun (oddly enough the gun I got as a trade from the A5)...

As you can see the female stabilizer (mine's a dust nickle and has a different mount block, but goes in the same place) goes on the bottom of the grip and then you can screw your tank directly into it as if it was a normal bottom line.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM #14
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I love upgrading guns. Do you lose money whenever you resell it? sure. Is it still worth it? heck yeah.

Here is my list of best upgrades for an A5
-HPA tank, make sure its high pressure output. This is the single best thing you can do for any marker.
-Barrel kit. A single nice barrel does well but a sizing kit will do you wonders.
- low profile hopper, the original A5 hopper is ugly and a huge target.
-stocks and remote lines are nice if you play long scenario games but not really necessary.

The two things you really dont need are regulators and flatlines/apex's. If you dont want to use HPA and want to stick to CO2 palmers makes a set up for regulating CO2. (don't pump CO2 into regular regulators)
Also Flatlines and apex's don't work that well at all. If you must consider empires super freak kit. you get a very nice barrel kit and an optional apex tip.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM #15
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Annual Supporting Member
FalconPunchKid is BST Legit
FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid plays in the APPA D4 division
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I find upgrading ANY gun to be a worthwhile and enjoyable endeavor, so lets try to answer the original question.

On my personal old A5 I added a regulator and did find more consistent shots and velocity, especially when using CO2 (with an anti-siphon tube installed of course). Less noticeable improvement with HPA, since it's already regulated to an extent and most tanks output at a pressure the A5 is quite happy at.

This one was also paired with a home made low pressure conversion, though I can't recommend that route, especially combined with a RT kit (this particular build was to camp on a hill and dump lots and lots of paint down a key trail, with the scope for checking arm band colors, that was added after a half hour long battle against my own team the previous big game ). RT's like all the pressure you can cram into it. The cyclone will function just fine down til about 400-500 psi, so as long as you can get velocity above that things will work fine.

I don't have a picture handy with that particular linked reg on an A5, but I do have a similar setup on a different gun (oddly enough the gun I got as a trade from the A5)...

As you can see the female stabilizer (mine's a dust nickle and has a different mount block, but goes in the same place) goes on the bottom of the grip and then you can screw your tank directly into it as if it was a normal bottom line.
wow just wow

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 PM #16
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post

I think the giant *** scope is what really screams "I'm a man with good ideas" to me.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM #17
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Annual Supporting Member
FalconPunchKid is BST Legit
FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid plays in the APPA D4 division
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Quote:
I think the giant *** scope is what really screams "I'm a man with good ideas" to me.
Lmao

Of course thats what it mean

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM #18
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I'll agree with the HPA tank. Then perhaps a cheap barrel kit. I personally wouldn't get an A5 but hey, you can usually pick them up used pretty cheap. The regulator isn't needed if you use Air. If you use it with CO2, you also need an anti-siphon valve put in your tank. With the cost of both reg and anti-siphon you may as well just buy an air tank which will still work better in the end.

While I can't say the flatline or apex are totally wicked upgrades I can say that they do have one useful advantage. If you're in bush with low hanging branches you WILL have an advantage with a longer flatter shot. It will allow you to hit players who have to arc their shots through the canopy to hit you.

The Apex is a better option though for a couple of reasons. The most important one is you can turn the effect off. With the flatline barrel, you're stuck with the same shot pattern in every situation. Not good. The apex also has the nice drop shot feature which may come in handy if people are crawling up on you and it has the curve shots which might pay off here or there. These effects aren't dependent on long range either. The other good part about the apex is you can switch barrels and guns with it.

The down side is....the effects aren't exactly bang on consistent. So most of the time you'll still miss lol. It takes time to dial them in(which you may not have) and if you're in one type of shot mode while someone busts a move on you, you'll probably not be able to return fire in a productive way. So it can help and it can hinder. You have to learn when and when not to use it.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S

Last edited by MstrKey : 01-23-2013 at 12:38 PM.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM #19
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Wow, you didn't actually read anything did you?

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM #20
SKO_GONZO
S.K.O.

SKO_GONZO owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SKO_GONZO has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SKO_GONZO has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I recommend addressing that question either to A5OG.net forum or Tippmanparts.com

Thanks to our sponsors: | Valken | SM Tactical | FOXHOLE Paintball store and field | M.N. P.I.R.O.D. | Quantico Tactical
SKO_GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM #21
nerve2030

I would suggest a palmer male stab I use one on my A5 and actually I use it as my only source of velocity adjustment I leave the velocity screw all the way out. it works very well I believe it reduces the sound signature and wear on the other internals.

About the barrel I would suggest an apex tip over a flat line. Those things are terrible in practice. not because of what has been mentioned but because they MUST 100% vertical to work correctly. if you lean out from a bunker and your gun is not vertical you will no longer have a nice flat trajectory but a curve ball. At least with the apex you can control the orientation of the spin and intensity.