Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM #1
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
Geo 3 Bolt stick / SFR Problem

Purchased a used Geo 3 recently and had some problems with it as soon as I got it. The soft tip bolt sticks and just puffs air out of the hole below the SFR. I've tried about everything I could. Replaced all O-rings on all 3 parts, lubed the bolt using Jack's video as a guide, up'd the dwell, set the noid power to high, various different new batteries, cleaned the solenoid/manifold, cleaned the filter and the problem still exist.

This sunday at practice, a teammate of mine lent me his soft tip bolt which was brand new and never used before. First, while looking at the bolts next to each other I noticed there's a line milled into his that mine doesn't have *see picture*. Second, After installing his bolt it still stuck at first. I proceeded to shoot it for about 50 shots while it was puffing and it finally kicked through and started cycling normally. I shot the gun for the rest of the day with the SFR at 12 o'clock and had no issues. It shot great too actually; chrono'd consistently in the 290's after tuning the reg. I think only maybe once or twice did it stick, but was only for the first 1-4 shots and only occurred after the gun would sit between games.

If the SFR is adjusted anything below 12 o'clock it will not cycle and just puff. Sometimes at half way it will still cycle and shoot normally, but sometimes at half it wont shoot at all. Then sometimes at half way it will cycle but when ramping or shooting at higher bps rates it will act as if theirs little air in the tank and only a few shots will sound normal. Settings were set to stock: 26.2 Dwell, 5.0 FSD comp, and normal noid power.

I'm pretty stumped . I've tried different tanks and lube as well. I don't have the ST bolt, otherwise I would have tried that. This thread sounds quite similar to my problem also: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3918229.

Will get a video up when I have air this weekend with both bolts. I live in AZ, so the temps usually between 55-75 degrees while I'm using the gun (seems to stick more in the AM when it's cooler sitting in between games). My teammates don't have any problems like I do or bolt stick in the AM even with his SFR all the way down. Any help or input is appreciated, I just want to get this fixed! Thanks

*Bolt on right is my teammates. Notice under the bottom oring a line is milled. Don't think this is the problem but why are they different!?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM #2
CAOL_98
Ego User

CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Did you pull the sfr yet and check to see if there is anything plugging it? If its partially plugged, that would make sense why you cannot turn it down...it's restricting any air movement on the forward stroke of the bolt.
Do you have the blanking plug? Have you tried throwing that in and seeing if it helps? Not sure if that will make a difference, but it's worth checking/trying anyways!

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
CAOL_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 AM #3
CleanSweep
Venom of SOVA

CleanSweep owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
CleanSweep owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mine has that milling too. Don't know why it's there but I guess it's weird that you don't have it.
CleanSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM #4
jonny72888

jonny72888 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jonny72888 posts videos on PbNation
jonny72888 plays in the APPA D5 division
I think that milling is how the air leaves...??? maybe IDK just a guess but it would explain why it wouldnt shoot. Is the reg clean? pull the prop shaft apart and check the oring in there. Sound like you got the gun used? if so strip it down and make sure its all good.

PnL Paintball PaintballPunks.com
jonny72888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM #5
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
Haven't pulled the SFR but when I had the gun all apart I checked it out and didn't look like there was anything out of the ordinary while I rotated it. Cleaned every piece of the bolt prolly 3x along with the rest of the gun. Was shooting fine all day after the bolts were switched so idk if it would be the reg.

Last edited by AJ$ : 01-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.
AJ$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM #6
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
Don't have the blanking plug either.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM #7
dirtraven

has been a member for 10 years
dirtraven is playing at Living Legends VII
dirtraven owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dirtraven supports Team VICIOUS
chk the inline reg filter? could be dirty and restricting the air flow since you've cleaned everything else.

Good Ole Autococker

Red Camo/Blackened GTi
dirtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM #8
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
Cleaned it when I had the marker apart. Think I'm going to take it to a PE service center this weekend.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM #9
thatkidnick

thatkidnick owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
thatkidnick plays in the APPA D3 division
when you set the board back to factory, did you use the preset factory function? or did you just set everything back to normal manually?
If you have not done so, I would try this.

Also i would just check the orings one more time (double check) maybe you could be putting a wrong size oring on and not be noticing it.

I dont think it would be the reg if you switched the bolts and 2nd one worked fine. Do you have the stock metal bolt? have you tired that one?

Also what would help, if you buddy has a geo3 aswell, try switching parts.
(ex: complete bolt assembly, reg, board, frame, noid, etc.)
Also doing this one by one till the gun works.
Would help narrow the problem down.

EDIT: Also my bolt does have that milling line below the 2nd oring aswell.

Last edited by thatkidnick : 01-23-2013 at 12:06 AM.
thatkidnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 AM #10
CAOL_98
Ego User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ$ View Post
Haven't pulled the SFR but when I had the gun all apart I checked it out and didn't look like there was anything out of the ordinary while I rotated it. Cleaned every piece of the bolt prolly 3x along with the rest of the gun. Was shooting fine all day after the bolts were switched so idk if it would be the reg.
Just push the sfr out and see, even if it functions properly when rotated...no harm in inspecting it. My thinking was that on the forward stroke, if the air is unable to release properly the dwell will time out before the gun bolt even actually cycles forward and the bolt will just sit...and there might even be a slight puff of air like you mentioned.

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM #11
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
Will ask my buddy this weekend to swap stuff at the end of the day if possible. Also will clean the SFR and let you know what happens when I have air. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM #12
CAOL_98
Ego User

Sweet! Thanks for checking back...I keep nursing this thread waiting to hear if your problem is resolved, and what the cause might have been...I have a pretty new geo 3 myself and I would be fairly upset if it wasn't shooting prime when I expect nothing less from it!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM #13
ilikeike
Nice

Annual Supporting Member
ilikeike plays in the PSP
ilikeike plays in the APPA D4 division
I think this is a problem for a lot of people, when the sfr is all the way down it just puffs. At 12.5 this shouldnt be a problem though. At this point, I think Jack needs to address It because I have had this same problem in the past.
ilikeike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM #14
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
I just would like my gun to function with my original bolt and my SFR all the way down lol!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM #15
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Annual Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Doesn't the geo 3 need more Grease than the previous versions of the geo
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM #16
AJ$

AJ$ plays in the PSP
AJ$ supports Empire
AJ$ is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg View Post
Doesn't the geo 3 need more Grease than the previous versions of the geo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAY0xBSi_i8
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM #17
dirtraven

dirtraven is playing at Living Legends VII
dirtraven owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dirtraven supports Team VICIOUS
My soft tip bolt has the milling also.

Good Ole Autococker

Red Camo/Blackened GTi
dirtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM #18
Evil Rocky

Evil Rocky is playing at Living Legends V
Evil Rocky owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Evil Rocky owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I honestly think it is the bolt. I think might need a new one. If everything worked fine when swapping just bolt, and it is obvious that the bolts are a little different I would say it is the bolt.

I would PM/Email PE and see if they can send you a new bolt.

GL

IOG http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4067259
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM #19
scarface70706

been having the same issue. i sent mine in to a pe tech on monday to take a look.
scarface70706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM #20
egogeo

Mine does the same thing, I am hoping it is just because my HPR is set to 235-240fps for reball. I can hardly move my SFR back at all and it just puffs.
egogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM #21
scarface70706

bump. (hoping PE tech will chime in)
scarface70706 is offline   Reply With Quote