PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM #1
GRIMREAPER45AUTO

any suggestions for my go kart tank all helpfull advise wanted

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/14675
The above link is the kart I bought .I read the a thread that said to change out sprocket to reduce speed and increase torque will check into that don't want to ruin brand new kart.
only major modification I plan is a turret on back will be using scuba tanks for air already have those. The only thing else I have to add on is some panels using 55 gallon plastic drums cut up and flattened and netting plz any help full advise wanted
GRIMREAPER45AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

From the picture below I doubt you will have enough clearance to put a larger diameter sproket on the axle. Not enough to be practical anyway. At 150 cc motor anyway, I bet it is geared down a LOT anyway. Automatic transmission.... 1st and 2nd with reverse? or just 1st and reverse? Find out the top speed in first and second AND what grade it can climb with two people in it or a full load capacity.

Don't see where you will put the turret on the "back" other than over the axle and using the frame to mount a platform on. Is that what you planned? or a trailer towed? The latter has had poor success in past attempt towing a trailer.

Assuming over the axle, it would almost require sitting on a swivel chair rather than standing. A swivel chair doesn't look like it has enough knee room to clear the back of the driver/passenger seat. Could remove the high back seat and put in a bucket. Still might be kneeing the driver in the back of the head. Would have to measure. If standing up there, it would be top heavy and tippy. Should it occur, I would not want to be the guy standing in the turret... Crunch...
Pain... Screaming... Ruin somebody's day..

Note the roof frame bar in the center going front to back. You would have to cut that out for a midline mounted turret.

I would suggest the turret gunner standing on the passengers seat maybe with the seat removed. Keeps the Center of Gravity Low. Also, eliminates the need to cut the middle roof bar.

MOST of your engagements will be in the forward position. A few on either side and the occasional RPG stepping out onto the road to shoot you in the rear... You would have 360 coverange anyway... Maybe a 3rd port gunner sitting over the engine with gun ports on the sides and back for defense. Side and rear are where the RPGs and Satchel Charges come from. For defense and survivability. The turret gunner can't swing fast enough to defend anyway. The website didn't say what the load carrying capacity is so I would call and find out before you add a 3rd person. You need to know anyway before you load the thing up with a turret, tanks, paint, cannon, etc. etc.

You've got a suspension system front and back which is good for the gunner which it going to get bounced around a lot anyway if standing with that short wheelbase.

Suggest you mount the Air supply to rotate with the turret so you don't have to 'unwind' your hoses periodically. Use the air tanks as a counter balance for the weight of the markers, cannon, and ammo on the front of the turret. The turret's center of gravity needs to be balanced over the pivot point of the turret. Otherwise, the heavy side of the turret will want to rotate to the downhill side on every incline which is MOST of the time. Will wear your gunner out muscleing the turret weight if you don't.

Paintball netting, Super Screen, Pet Screen is the only thing I've heard success with. I use paintball netting. Beg used netting from your local fields.... More netting, less armor.

Then we will proceed with the discussion of turret design.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 12-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Boom Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM #3
GRIMREAPER45AUTO

First thank you boom master all good advise go kart should be here Thursday

From the picture below I doubt you will have enough clearance to put a larger diameter sproket on the axle. Not enough to be practical anyway. At 150 cc motor anyway, I bet it is geared down a LOT anyway. Automatic transmission.... 1st and 2nd with reverse? or just 1st and reverse? Find out the top speed in first and second AND what grade it can climb with two people in it or a full load capacity.
It didn't say how many toward gears it had it just said it was automatic transmission and was geared low thanks for pointing out gear spacing didn't notice that

Don't see where you will put the turret on the "back" other than over the axle and using the frame to mount a platform on. Is that what you planned? or a trailer towed? The latter has had poor success in past attempt towing a trailer.
Yes planned turret over axle using a pallet careosell and I know I will have to weld in extra support bars to cary the extra weight and was planning on having gunner sit in turret

Suggest you mount the Air supply to rotate with the turret so you don't have to 'unwind' your hoses periodically. Use the air tanks as a counter balance for the weight of the markers, cannon, and ammo on the front of the turret. The turret's center of gravity needs to be balanced over the pivot point of the turret. Otherwise, the heavy side of the turret will want to rotate to the downhill side on every incline which is MOST of the time. Will wear your gunner out muscleing the turret weight if you don't.

Planning for this was going to put 1 scuba tank on nose of kart to help counter weight and run remote line to passenger gunner and in turret tank and all paint would be hanging opposite from gunner
Paintball netting, Super Screen, Pet Screen is the only thing I've heard success with. I use paintball netting. Beg used netting from your local fields.... More netting, less armor.

Then we will proceed with the discussion of turret design.[/quote]
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Don't forget to keep us up to date on the build pics. Those used office chairs for 20-30 might work. Sit sa little taller and seat is deeper for more knee room. It is going to be a tight fit just eyeballing it. At Bass Pro, I've seen a fishing swivel seat that looked more like a bicycle seat than a chair. Might be an option. Take off the wheels, drill out the top if you have to and bolt it to the floor. Add one seatbelt and you have an adjustable height swivel chair.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 12-04-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Boom Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM #5
GRIMREAPER45AUTO

Will take awhile but I have to have it up and running by mid January for a February game will take plenty of pics and some video
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 AM #6
GRIMREAPER45AUTO

Here's the seat installed
[IMG][/IMG]
Here's the seat with turret complete
[IMG][/IMG]
Here's the full tank
[IMG][/IMG]
I mounted scuba tanks to roof under camo will provide air supply for all guns in tank
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM #7
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

your tank build

Grim, I have built two tanks. One from a 22 hp riding lawnmower to now a JD Gator 6 x 4. And I have had friends that have built tanks from ATV's such as yours. As a person that has changed tank designs many times because of what works and what doesnt. I would like to offer you some experiences of mine that may help you down the road. My first observation is the platform to house your top gunner on the back of the tank. So my main concern with your design is stability. You will have issues with stability, clearance, and going up and down grades, especially if you travel off road into the bush. If you basically stay to somewhat flat trails and open terrain you may not have many problems. You may have already found this out and are making adjustments. But like any tanker you will find out eventually the process of what your tank can and cannot do. The secret of fixing stability is having a vehicle that much of the weight and center of gravity is low in the vehicle. This stops the tank from being top or back heavy. I found this stability when I built my current tank from a JD Gator. Just remember your ATV wasnt originally built to have 150-200+ lbs mounted about the engine compartment. You may have to add counter balances in the front frame somewhere. I did this to my lawnmower tank and it helped. But also remember the more weight you add the slower it goes in many ways. I had two accidents with my lawnmower tank while going uphill on trails. My tank both times flip backwards and all though no one got serious hurt besides a few bruises, cuts, my pride, and gas in their face. I came to the conclusion that lawnmower tanks are not stable and top heavy and are only a little safer on flat terrain. So a decision was made to replace the tank. My new gator tank can go over just about any terrain which is my big advantage. I can run 3-4 players in my tank and have no stabiity issues what so ever so far. My suggestion to you is to lower your top gunner space by at least a third and maybe even putting a rotating manual turret on it. I can send you a pic of my tank for a few ideas. My avatar pic is old and doesnt reflect what what my newer turret put on last July looks like. I do plan to update that soon. So whatever you do have fun and be cautious while driving your ATV tank where ever it takes you. It only takes a dip or rut even in open ground to cause you to have concerns.

Good luck!

Treaddz
Team CroMagnum
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM #8
GRIMREAPER45AUTO

Stability not to bad driver and 1 gunner sit about 6 inches off ground centering most of the weight and using a rotating boat seat keeps players fast rotating weight to not rock kart like a standing player would I saw a golf kart tank that nearly toppled over because they had 2 players standing and they changed direction too fast it shifted too much weight too fast the wider wheel base on this go kart also helps with stability. I know its a little taller than I wanted but I didn't want to be hitting my head all day so I gave myself an extra 4 inches head room. I was going to put a rotating turret on it but didn't have time had to to have it registered by 1/18 to get it in game maybe down the line i will change it
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM #9
hardboy

CROMAGS TANK AT BERLIN

The Black Korps
hardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM #10
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

your tank build

Well Grim sounds like your thinking and doing what you can. Tanking is an evolutionary process and you'll find your way. You like all of us will find out what works and what doesnt. Then will make the change as time and finances allows us. Two other things I may mention is persistence and a reliable functioning vehicle. Your going to have good and bad games especially when the nerfs and grenades are hitting your tank often. Its easy to get frustrated and wonder why I spent all this money to get taken out so quickly. Just remember that all tank missions are not created equal and you will eventually get your due in a game. Just go back and re-insert and try again. The last thing is maintenance on your ATV. Just make sure you do everything you can to make it run and make it safe. Its not fun breaking down on the field somewhere or looking at your tank on a trailer or parking lot saying I wish it would have started. Just remember its not what your tank really looks like. Its what it can do on the field. Good luck with your tank build and may you make a difference in a game.

Treaddz
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM #11
thenoob23
Dayton Distortion

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
Mother Of God This Looks Sick As Flip!
Rotor W/ Speedfeed
Super Freak Kit
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
thenoob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM #12
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Nice job there... Finally get to see the tank I'll be hunting at Triple Threat... Have some guys give you ground support. It'll help with keeping the tank in play longer.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM #13
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Cromag- I'll provide ground support. I got your 6 shooting out the launchers.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM #14
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Well ChristianP Its nice whenever we get infantry support for protection. Our basic function is to plow open the way for the infantry anyway. Most of the time we dont get it. Thats why we get taken out so much. Now back to the point of this post.

Treaddz