Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM #1
pballler2269

pballler2269 helped look for balloons
Thoughts on Artificial Insemination?

This is my first post in the Religion subforum and I have two questions:

What religion are you?
What are you thoughts on artificial insemination?

I am not asking this to avoid research for some paper I was assigned, but for the opinions of others. Born and raised by two gay parents, I think I turned out as normal as possible (who knows if being normal is good). I personally do not suffer from any diseases or disabilities. In fact, I beat obesity at the age of 14 (210 lbs to 145 lbs). I will not take offense to any response posted in this thread, I honestly just want to hear what your religion thinks about it. Am I doomed to hell because I wasn't from 'god'?

I personally believe it is beautiful that modern medicine can do something so close to creating life.
pballler2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM #2
Iamamartianchurch

Please, tell me more about your personal ego drama. I I I I I I ME ME ME I I!!!! Narcissist.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 AM #3
pballler2269

pballler2269 helped look for balloons
After rereading my initial post, it does sound extremely narcissistic. I guess I wrote that just to show that I'm interested in others opinions and not some troll (which i'm sure you get tons of in the religion subforum). If you'd like, i'll edit out everything but the two questions.
pballler2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM #4
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballler2269 View Post
After rereading my initial post, it does sound extremely narcissistic. I guess I wrote that just to show that I'm interested in others opinions and not some troll (which i'm sure you get tons of in the religion subforum). If you'd like, i'll edit out everything but the two questions.
It's too late for that now, my son.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 AM #5
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Please, tell me more about your personal ego drama. I I I I I I ME ME ME I I!!!! Narcissist.
wut
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM #6
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
wut
You don't see how his entire rant about himself is narcissistic? Do you suffer the same ailment?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM #7
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
I am literally cracking up right now. Give the kid a break, martian.

--

To answer the questions, I am a Christian although I fall away from the modern church quite a bit theologically. I don't really have much of a view on artificial insemination. Never thought much of it. Sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful.

Last edited by TheSilentAssassin : 01-21-2013 at 11:07 AM.
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM #8
Iamamartianchurch

Which denom. are you?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM #9
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Which denom. are you?
At first I thought this said "which demon are you?" lol

Umm, a little of this, a little of that. In the recent couple of years, I have attended a presbyterian church and a baptist one, but that is more due to who I know than anything. The problem is that my ideological breaks don't fall in line with denominational lines. I couldn't really care less about infant baptism or trans/consubstantiation.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM #10
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
At first I thought this said "which demon are you?" lol

Umm, a little of this, a little of that. In the recent couple of years, I have attended a presbyterian church and a baptist one, but that is more due to who I know than anything. The problem is that my ideological breaks don't fall in line with denominational lines. I couldn't really care less about infant baptism or trans/consubstantiation.
Ha.

Consubstantiation in respects to the Eucharist? Interesting.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM #11
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I was pretty mainline for a while. Then, took a trip down universalism lane and didn't come out quite the same. I like transcendentalism (more thoreau then emerson). I like kierkegaard (still mulling through that). Planning on going back to the classics after. Aquinas and Augustine.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM #12
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I was pretty mainline for a while. Then, took a trip down universalism lane and didn't come out quite the same. I like transcendentalism (more thoreau then emerson). I like kierkegaard (still mulling through that). Planning on going back to the classics after. Aquinas and Augustine.
Transcendentalism is the first and last great contribution of american intellectual culture. Not that it was a new way of looking at things, but nonetheless, a brilliant advancement for us yanks. Aquinas is the mensch.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM #13
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Oh, I might hit Nietzsche and sarte again before I go there though.

But, ya, I like a lot of trascendentalism but dislike a lot as well. But it surely is alone up in tier one in terms of american intellectualism for sure.

Never done much aquinas. Want to.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM #14
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Oh, I might hit Nietzsche and sarte again before I go there though.

But, ya, I like a lot of trascendentalism but dislike a lot as well. But it surely is alone up in tier one in terms of american intellectualism for sure.

Never done much aquinas. Want to.
Most people can't handle Nietzsche's supra-moral (read:Traditional) positions. If you like Aristotle you'll like Aquinas. Ontologically they come to similar conclusions. Though I still can't figure out just what the he Christ is to Aquinas.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 AM #15
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Most people can't handle Nietzsche's supra-moral (read:Traditional) positions.
I've done some neitzsche before. I am revisiting because I am interested in how master/slave morality may fit into a biblical construct.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM #16
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I've done some neitzsche before. I am revisiting because I am interested in how master/slave morality may fit into a biblical construct.
Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the Emperor. Servants be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh.

-I Peter 2:17-18

I read somewhere that Catholicism, before Vatican II at least, believed "the meek shall inherit....." served as a warning and call to arms. Aquinas goes something into detail about recognizing the full nature of a thing, which leads directly into the burning of the heretics. If the meek rejects his chance for redemption. Essentially reaching the same conclusions as Zarathustra or a fully reincarnated Buddha or a Brahman.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM #17
scienceguy

has been a member for 10 years
To the op: I'm somewhat confused. Do you think people think less of you because of your birth history? Has anyone ever given you a hard time about it?

I for one could care less. We've come a long way since the first test tube baby.

Although I do think some people go overboard trying to control the process. I've known people to spend over 100k out of pocket trying to breed the perfect child. They shop for the perfect sperm and perfect egg. Then they hire a perfect surrogate to carry it. They hire a lawer to write a contract for that surrogate that contains all kinds of rediculous conditions such how much she will sleep and what her meals will consist of while pregnant.

This will only get worse as the biotechnology tools get better and more accessible because donors will be more easily screened for perfection. Eventually genes will be inserted and removed.

In the end, the product is just as screwed up as everyone else's.

People are very strange when it comes to kids.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 AM #18
automagsrule
LOIC

I don't trust anyone with 3 names so transcendentalism is a non-starter for me.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote