PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM #43
codekiller
#workaholics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUN_YOU_DOWN_3 View Post
think about why paintball doesn't make the x-games and isn't highly televised. To someone who is just watching it on TV, lets be honest, it will be boring. Paintball isn't as action packed as watching someone do a trick on ramps every 2 seconds, the viewer will be watching a team shoot at each other for awhile and while there will be some nice images like bunkering, etc. it still won't hold the greater population's attention.
good point. the play by play, commentating and coverage has gotten a lot better over the years though. but i think the problem is that you simply cant have action shots like you said of just people bunkering each other, or breakouts and expect people to understand whats goin on, its great and it still needs to be included, but i always wondered why they dont approach a birds eye view of the game and try and communicate to the viewers about dominating zones, lanes, and all that. i mean i understand it would be difficult to be able to get this information quick enough once the point starts but i just think not enough people view this sport as strategic, i mean everyone claims their sport is like chess, but i think paintball has the greatest advantage. i know i dont need to get into why its closely related but im just surprised i havent seen anyone bring it up...unless i missed someones comment, or i havent been in the loop with live coverage. just my opinion.

and also as stated, the bottom line when i talk to every parent is that its simply too much money, so many kids that are getting into the sport are under the age of 15 and cant get a job. the pressure i see some parents in is tough.

edit - not to stray away from the curriculum building you guys have been doing, just you all seem to have that down pat lol but awesome video and hope that something is built from this
"Originally posted by pbstar1792:CANUCKKKKKKKKK."

Last edited by codekiller : 01-18-2013 at 11:01 PM.
codekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM #44
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Shootingropes plays in the PSP
Shootingropes is an NCPA player
Shootingropes supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
You made good points in your video. However, what exactly would you be teaching? Are you teaching the renters who are probably going to play once or twice a year? Are you teaching first-time gear owners, who will come with incredibly varied levels of gear? Or are you teaching players that want to get involved in tournaments, at which point I doubt their parents have many reservations about the sport?
..Why does it matter?

Basics are basics and fundamentals don't change (Frequently enough to be accounted for, that is). When going to a lesson, the instructor can ask the instructed individual what type of paintball he would like to play, or if he would like to try both. Then in a next lesson, they could teach the player more specifically in one of the styles of play.

I can see a little league of paintball starting. 13+, with age groups to separate the kids. Parents can be coaches.

For Sale: Project Geo
Shootingropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM #45
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
Yeah the little league thing is a cool idea, basically that would be the first thing parents would invest in after some lessons. First get them to rent and try it out with a few lessons, then find them somewhere cheap and fun to compete.

More so than little league I could see it being like a d5 or something but instead of constant teams you have yearly tryouts held by set judges and split teams up as best they can. Maybe some system that they cant play more then one year little league. honestly the little league thing could get alot of outside sponsorships locally (pizza shops, wal mart idk but I see those companys love to sponsor kids activitys). Not sure how you'd feed it 'new' noobs all the time but maybe making it hopperball with standard loaders would help parents afford it. Maybe do three man with alot of short points and low velocety
Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 PM #46
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Little League is a pay up front kinda thing. I believe it was $100 for a kid 12-13 last year by me (I worked Registration and Concession for my local Little league).

Obviously this league would be a little more expensive. I like your judging Idea. But work it almost as tryouts , and split the kids up evenly, by age and experience/skill.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM #47
d0cwh0
Mmm...Dorritos

d0cwh0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I think cost is the biggest problem here...the clinics we have now cost a ton
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM #48
Monnster13

Monnster13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0cwh0 View Post
I think cost is the biggest problem here...the clinics we have now cost a ton
This is probably true because of the Pros that are hosting the clinic, need to be paid. For a young guns or new players clinc, a field could get one of their refs or their sponsored teams to do it. The refs are already getting paid and the teams would probably do for a couple of cases of free paint. Just a thought.
Monnster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM #49
TOTShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock2k3 View Post
Not sure how you'd feed it 'new' noobs all the time but maybe making it hopperball with standard loaders would help parents afford it. Maybe do three man with alot of short points and low velocety
A lot of good points but I really like this one about hopperball. Local fields could start a hopperball league. This is a great way for new players to use rental gear ($$$ for field owner) and add a competitive edge to it. Use only semi auto with a max bps of what? 10bps. Also you could have the fps lowered to 250. Again we are talking about new players. Don't need new players over shooting each other at 280 fps and 15 bps. Or 12.5 bps.

The field owners need to get behind any program that will (1) Bring new business to them. (2) Educate new players on safety and playing etiquette. (3) Need experienced players to be ambassadors of the sport. If you are getting some sort of sponsorship from a field or store and they ask you to perform a clinic, then man up and do it. No such thing as a free ride. I for one am going to ask my local field to start a clinic. I am going donate my time once a month. Gonna bring my son who is 6 and my wife to help out. I hope the industry leaders are following thread.
TOTShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 PM #50
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
Parents/volunteers would do little league coaching for free.

Format wise (hopper ball and standard loaders only, we're talking shake and bake) it would have to be something like each kid shoots roughly a bag of cheap paint (league gets it wholesale) say 10 kids per team is 2 1/2 cases for about 50 bucks league cost (I bet even manufacturers would 'sponsor' the league with a decent price even for just a few skids a season)

Say a 16 week season(how long is summer for kids?) with 3 cases per week/game is 48 cases divided by ten players is a little less than 5 cases per kid. $100 in paint for 4 months of paintballs.

Add in league fees like air(one fill each day times 16 is not much $. you need someone with an air trailer to make it viable. Co2 is real cheap as well). Two refs for $20 a game each(reffing multiple games at an hour long max each would pay off) is only $40 total divided by 20 kids playing, so $2 a game for refs equaling $32 a seasonper kid.

I bet you could set up and cleanup a tiny field and play three games easy per night and the refs would get $60 to setup/breakdown a 25 bunker field and work 4 hours.

Throw a longsleeve with some iron on logos in there for $20 and you would be around $200 for 4 months of paintball. Even $15 a week is a $240 budget for 4 months

This would be non-profit (except offering food/paying refs) and held on weekday nights, the kids could still play on the weekend and it would promote whatever field you are at. Definitely have on field coaching allowed and parents can get involved from the sideline too.

That got too lenthy haha oh well, I wish I had this when I was starting out.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 AM #51
Busta.SD

Busta.SD has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Money maker. Get a sick indoor setup to host tourneys and provide lessons too...might be on to something.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM #52
bneally
Soldier of the Empire

bneally plays in the PSP
bneally owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bneally plays in the APPA D4 division
No one has even mentioned it yet, but JT has built a great platform and line of product that would be a perfect fit for this approach. The JT splatmaster line with the 50 caliber paint. Just as an example: Tball for little kids getting started playing baseball. The splatmaster line is just that, a paired down version of the real thing to be more conducive to younger players. JT may even subsidize some kind of a training program because if a field/shop held these lessons for kids, then the field/shop could also suggest these same products for individual practice on their own time and would spur sales for the pistol, shotgun and the 50 cal paint. Or, better yet, the cost of the lessons could even go towards that kid being able to keep and take home the pistol/shotgun and then JT has the opportunity, as a business, to benefit from the fact that this individual has to buy their paint. It would spur sales across the board.
TradeMyGun.com
PaintballPlex.com
bneally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM #53
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneally View Post
No one has even mentioned it yet, but JT has built a great platform and line of product that would be a perfect fit for this approach. The JT splatmaster line with the 50 caliber paint. Just as an example: Tball for little kids getting started playing baseball. The splatmaster line is just that, a paired down version of the real thing to be more conducive to younger players. JT may even subsidize some kind of a training program because if a field/shop held these lessons for kids, then the field/shop could also suggest these same products for individual practice on their own time and would spur sales for the pistol, shotgun and the 50 cal paint. Or, better yet, the cost of the lessons could even go towards that kid being able to keep and take home the pistol/shotgun and then JT has the opportunity, as a business, to benefit from the fact that this individual has to buy their paint. It would spur sales across the board.
We are trying to help the fields, not the companies that are doing just fine right now lol.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 PM #54
gmore70
gmore70

gmore70 posts videos on PbNation
Great news, my home field was already thinking about doing this later this year. I had a great conversation with one of the owners. Seems he liked hearing what I had to say and felt good that someone else was on the same page.
gmore70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 AM #55
codekiller
#workaholics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootingropes View Post
We are trying to help the fields, not the companies that are doing just fine right now lol.
your right, but it is a good point that someone is trying to start the effort with teaching the youth, this allows a platform for younger kids that are intimidated by the owners or even the rental fields. and really it all comes down to a pain tolerance with younger kids, and apparently these are supposed to be a little easier on you. i thought that the psp event when nicky cuba and ...greenspan? or whoever else was there had teams of young kids and were helping coach them through plays was pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmore70 View Post
Great news, my home field was already thinking about doing this later this year. I had a great conversation with one of the owners. Seems he liked hearing what I had to say and felt good that someone else was on the same page.
good to hear!
"Originally posted by pbstar1792:CANUCKKKKKKKKK."
codekiller is offline   Reply With Quote