Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM #1
aan310

aan310 is an NCPA player
aan310 plays in the APPA D4 division
aan310 supports DLX Technology
Soft tip bolt

Okay, so basically since I've gotten my Demon I've been experimenting with creating a softip bolt.

What I need is an extra bolt or two for prototyping, then eventually testers.

Anyone want to donate a bolt and in return get to test the prototypes?

The bolts need to be modified slightly to accommodate the rubber tip since it must be removable (to disassemble the drive train).
aan310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM #2
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aan310 View Post
Okay, so basically since I've gotten my Demon I've been experimenting with creating a softip bolt.

What I need is an extra bolt or two for prototyping, then eventually testers.

Anyone want to donate a bolt and in return get to test the prototypes?

The bolts need to be modified slightly to accommodate the rubber tip since it must be removable (to disassemble the drive train).
i ended up buying it from reaper. visit his web and you can purchase it from him. it's good that you're doing this. i for one haven't started on my project yet.
xmc1146 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 AM #3
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
personally, I don't think it is needed. I have never chopped a ball with the stock bolt on either the 2012 or 2013 model. It is SO soft on paint.
Only breaks are barrel breaks from underboring too much.

Clubs: Marq Clan | Insight Owners Group
WildWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 AM #4
pinoyed
the cheese stands alone

pinoyed owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pinoyed is for the Gunfight
pinoyed has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz View Post
personally, I don't think it is needed. I have never chopped a ball with the stock bolt on either the 2012 or 2013 model. It is SO soft on paint.
same, only breaks i've ever had was in cold weather
pinoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM #5
cocker addict
citrus connecton

cocker addict is for the Gunfight
cocker addict is for the Gunfight
Never broken a single ball out of my 2012 or my 2013. It is the most gentle marker I've ever owned.
cocker addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM #6
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Those cold weather breaks are usually from stack clipping. Hence the soft tip bolt

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 AM #7
aan310

aan310 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Those cold weather breaks are usually from stack clipping. Hence the soft tip bolt

^We have a winner
Old 01-18-2013, 05:48 AM #8
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

Hope that you finish your project and show us a frafile paint test vids...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM #9
pinoyed
the cheese stands alone

Quote:
my Angel A1 has a soft tip bolt and that also had plenty of breaks in cold weather, not sure a soft tip bolt is the be-all end-all solution.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM #10
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

Use to have an a1, i bet its your hopper thats causing the break. If you saw max from joy div fragile video, you would understand.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM #11
aan310

aan310 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyed View Post
my Angel A1 has a soft tip bolt and that also had plenty of breaks in cold weather, not sure a soft tip bolt is the be-all end-all solution.
Angel A1... There's your problem
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM #12
pinoyed
the cheese stands alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan310 View Post
Angel A1... There's your problem
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM #13
MstrKey

I never used an angel that didn't break paint even in the warm weather with durable paint. Despite their soft tips, most angels have always had a problem with their programming which always made them paint breakers. I tried every setup(that the software allowed) there ever was to give them a chance(since 1998). They always failed. They just never made their software adjustable enough to solve those issues. At least not in my part of the world. One of the reasons they no longer exist.

Yes I know there are aftermarket boards and parts that can make them shoot like champs. Why bother? Just buy something else. That was my solution.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 PM #14
Grizle
FROSTFACTORYCOMMINGSCOON

Quote:
I never used an angel that didn't break paint even in the warm weather with durable paint. Despite their soft tips, most angels have always had a problem with their programming which always made them paint breakers. I tried every setup(that the software allowed) there ever was to give them a chance(since 1998). They always failed. They just never made their software adjustable enough to solve those issues. At least not in my part of the world. One of the reasons they no longer exist.

Yes I know there are aftermarket boards and parts that can make them shoot like champs. Why bother? Just buy something else. That was my solution.
wut? lol. Programming problem? thats just not true. angels set up correctly rip. not having eyes was their downfall ... annny way. I might be coming into a few newer angel soft face bolts. I collect older angels (LED-A4) so they wont be of much use to me. The soft face bolts make a huge difference on LP angels and breaks, I can tell you from experience. Ill let you know If I come across any. If you pay shipping I can toss them your way. You can let someone else test out the prototypes as I don't have a Vanguard anything lol.

ANGELS I WANT
Element Angel LCD, Rocky LCD, Rocky Ir3', Eclipse LED, Angel V8, Adrenalin Feather LCD,

MATRIXS I WANT
Entity, Kapp Flame, Tequila, Tequila Sunrise, Freeflow Lockout, Image Matrix, Freeflow Matrix
Grizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 PM #15
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizle View Post
wut? lol. Programming problem? thats just not true. angels set up correctly rip. not having eyes was their downfall ... annny way. I might be coming into a few newer angel soft face bolts. I collect older angels (LED-A4) so they wont be of much use to me. The soft face bolts make a huge difference on LP angels and breaks, I can tell you from experience. Ill let you know If I come across any. If you pay shipping I can toss them your way. You can let someone else test out the prototypes as I don't have a Vanguard anything lol.
The soft face bolts line up the ball stack better.....which is mandatory on any gun. Nicely stacked balls don't get clipped. It's that simple.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM #16
Grizle
FROSTFACTORYCOMMINGSCOON

Quote:
The soft face bolts line up the ball stack better.....which is mandatory on any gun. Nicely stacked balls don't get clipped. It's that simple.
I agree, 'setting' the ram the right distance into and angels body is also important for the bolt alignment... but neither of these have a thing to do with programming.

ANGELS I WANT
Element Angel LCD, Rocky LCD, Rocky Ir3', Eclipse LED, Angel V8, Adrenalin Feather LCD,

MATRIXS I WANT
Entity, Kapp Flame, Tequila, Tequila Sunrise, Freeflow Lockout, Image Matrix, Freeflow Matrix
Old 01-20-2013, 05:12 AM #17
juggernaught_lives
Mowing Fools Since 1987

juggernaught_lives plays in the PSP
juggernaught_lives is for the Gunfight
The A1's has a Soft Face Bolt the ball still comes in contact with the hard edge of the bolt during cycling. My A1 was great during the warmer months it was always during the colder months or when it rained that I had an issue with clipping and chops.

aan310 if your still looking for a bolt to test on LMK My Purple Demon did not survive the milling process and I have an extra bolt now.
Dye i4 LENSES and MASK BAGS F/S/T
Disruptive Custom Anodized Full Barrel Kit with 15" Carbon Fiber Tip and Barrel Case
juggernaught_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 PM #18
MstrKey

angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizle View Post
I agree, 'setting' the ram the right distance into and angels body is also important for the bolt alignment... but neither of these have a thing to do with programming.
No but when your programming settings include Hardest on paint and Softest on paint without any real actual number values associated with those settings. You have a problem. lol. I don't remember the actual wording on my angel one but it was horrible. I laughed at that right before my feed neck broke off during my first game with it.

I used the Joy division setup procedure on that gun and still wasn't able to play a single game without a break. Neither could anyone who tried it. I gave it a few more chances with a few more tweeks and never was able to get it to stop. Sold it off. That was the end of my angel experimentation. I gave them so many chances and was always disappointed. Get a vision LCD and you'll have the best you will ever get from their guns.

This is off topic but I just saw Tom Kaye on Natgeo as an expert on the DB Cooper hijacking while typing this message lol. Kind of creepy.

Last edited by MstrKey : 01-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM #19
Grizle
FROSTFACTORYCOMMINGSCOON

Quote:
...my angel one but it was horrible. I laughed at that right before my feed neck broke off during my first game with it...

ahhh you had issues with an angel one... I see well that makes 100% sense. LED-G7 are all amazing, but LCD's and IR3's are my favorites. The quality went waaay down hill on A1's. Some were great, others never worked right.

My parts are in the mail to me and I should have a bolt or two to throw your way by end of next week...

on a side note... have you though about going the foamie route like AGD did with the LVL 10?

ANGELS I WANT

MATRIXS I WANT
Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 AM #20
MstrKey

I've used all the angels and owned most since the LED. None of them were up to my standards for performance to be honest. The angel one was just the point when I swore to never use one again lol. Not even borrow one!

IR3? Really? Those things were huge....that 90 frame was horrid too lol. G7's were probably the best over all angels going by today's standards.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 AM #21
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

if you have not shot an angel sb, i would keep my suggestions to myself, till you do. all angels that came out were ahead of their time. everyone just follows and make improvement over their design and call it something else. angels were made not for kids. if you would have own one and disassemble one yourself, you would know what i am talking about. and why are talking about angels when this is a vanguard forum? lets talk about that instead.

i finished my bolt project and cant wait to test it. i just hope that i makes a dramatical improvement like the one i did for my threshold.