Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM #1
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Difference between "Major" and "Minor" events

So I planned on playing Chicago this year and now im really confused because Chicago is no longer a "Major" event. They are still having a "Minor" event there.

What does this mean? No pro teams? If its just divisional teams, do they expect these Divisional teams to play all 4 major and minor events? REALLY?

Basically I need to know if D4-D1 are at these "Minor" events and who all would really be going to a minor event?

Last edited by firefoxx04 : 01-13-2013 at 08:40 PM.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM #2
xXEnvyXx
Oh Hai

xXEnvyXx plays in the PSP
xXEnvyXx plays in the APPA D2 division
I think the minor events are just for divisional teams to get points towards their series total and to be able to play more events closer to them rather than travel every time, that's my guess

Calgary Vendetta CXBL Elite
xXEnvyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 PM #3
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Kirko017 plays in the APPA D4 division
"In addition to the Four Major Paintball World Series Events the NPPL will be hosting 4 Minor events where Divisional teams will compete and earn NPPL World Series Points at a regional level. These points will count towards the over all NPPL World Paintball Series Title.

The NPPL will be hosting live music at each major event this year along with incredible player parties and other extreme activities. "

Major events will have all the big things NPPL events usually have. My guess Minor events will be ran more like the affiliate tournaments for PSP. Simply just the tournament. No vendor tents, music, player parties, etc. But series points can still be had at these events and it will be closer and cheaper for players than traveling to the major event.
Kirko017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM #4
randy woodland

basically it's playing a local event, but u can earn series points towards the NPPL series title.
randy woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM #5
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
What does this mean?
It means the NPPL is running out of money.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM #6
ihavesuperaids

ihavesuperaids plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
I guess the PSP is as well since they do the same thing.
ihavesuperaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM #7
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavesuperaids View Post
I guess the PSP is as well since they do the same thing.
PSP has feeder leagues that highlight divisional play, that's not the same as making your pro events "major" and minor" to save money in some cities.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM #8
ihavesuperaids

Quote:
PSP has feeder leagues that highlight divisional play, that's not the same as making your pro events "major" and minor" to save money in some cities.
"In addition to the Four Major Paintball World Series Events the NPPL will be hosting 4 Minor events where Divisional teams will compete and earn NPPL World Series Points at a regional level. These points will count towards the over all NPPL World Paintball Series Title."
So tell me how this isn't anything like what the PSP does. It might not be at the same scale as the PSP's feeder events but it is the same thing in principle. How's about you let it play out and see how things actually unfold before bashing something without any actual knowledge.
Also how is it saving money when at the end of the day the NPPL is having more events. It's not like they are only having HB and Vegas, they just changed the venue on the other two. If anything I'd imagine the location change would cost them more money at the time being.

Last edited by ihavesuperaids : 01-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM #9
LittleH8kid

LittleH8kid supports Pev's Paintball
LittleH8kid plays in the APPA D2 division
I'm guessing that the NPPL will take your top 4scores. Minnor event points won't count as much as major events. If you can't play Vegas and HB you can still keep in contention in the overall series by going to Chicago and DC.
LittleH8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM #10
FreakinJB

Quote:
You're definitely one of the biggest haters on here but that's not what I want to talk to you about. This will only cost them more, why would it suggest they're running out of money?
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM #11
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Your assumption that creating a lower tier will cost them more flies in the face of business logic.

Cutting events into two tiers means the lower tier events will have less going on, IE: less to set up, less logistical concerns, less people/companies to contact and pay for services, less vendor space to have to contend with and manage, les entertainment for the fans to book and pay for, etc etc etc.

The fact this distinction is being made at all, is a sure sign of the NPPL wanting to cut corners wherever possible. Go ahead and slap a coat of fresh paint on it and spin this as a positive development all you want, the fact is that the NPPL is struggling and it's no secret.

Last edited by SNAKESNIPER : 01-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM #12
ActionExpress
Alex Williams

ActionExpress plays in the PSP
ActionExpress plays in the APPA Pro division
So will divisional teams not play at major events and only at minor events?
Dye Precision
Santa Clara Paintball
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM #13
FiresofSirius
Let the Galaxy Burn

FiresofSirius donated to help Peyton Trent
FiresofSirius owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FiresofSirius is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionExpress View Post
So will divisional teams not play at major events and only at minor events?
No. Think of the minors as a separate series which still provides points toward overall NPPL rankings.

Last edited by FiresofSirius : 01-14-2013 at 04:14 PM.
FiresofSirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM #14
GetBunkerD
LurkerPB.com

Annual Supporting Member
GetBunkerD is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
GetBunkerD posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
The fact this distinction is being made at all, is a sure sign of the NPPL wanting to cut corners wherever possible. Go ahead and slap a coat of fresh paint on it and spin this as a positive development all you want, the fact is that the NPPL is struggling and it's no secret.
So instead of being productive and trying to help possibly one of the best leagues ever to hit paintball (not saying the PSP isn't just as good, if not better) you would rather choose to only bring out the negativity?

Sounds much like a hater to me.

Gabe - Director of Marketing & Promotions @ Lurker Paintball
www.LurkerPaintball.com
www.PBMechanix.com
GetBunkerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM #15
i got an ion
RIP Royals

i got an ion plays in the PSP
i got an ion plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Your assumption that creating a lower tier will cost them more flies in the face of business logic.

Cutting events into two tiers means the lower tier events will have less going on, IE: less to set up, less logistical concerns, less people/companies to contact and pay for services, less vendor space to have to contend with and manage, les entertainment for the fans to book and pay for, etc etc etc.

how does this fly in the face of business logic? more events = higher costs.

please enlighten us on how making 4 additional events available to the divisional teams is the NPPL's way of cutting corners.

Sacramento DMG

Capital Edge Paintball Park(CEPP)
i got an ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM #16
ihavesuperaids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavesuperaids View Post
"In addition to the Four Major Paintball World Series Events the NPPL will be hosting 4 Minor events where Divisional teams will compete and earn NPPL World Series Points at a regional level. These points will count towards the over all NPPL World Paintball Series Title."
So tell me how this isn't anything like what the PSP does. It might not be at the same scale as the PSP's feeder events but it is the same thing in principle. How's about you let it play out and see how things actually unfold before bashing something without any actual knowledge.
Also how is it saving money when at the end of the day the NPPL is having more events. It's not like they are only having HB and Vegas, they just changed the venue on the other two. If anything I'd imagine the location change would cost them more money at the time being.
I think he missed my previous post. It's also becoming more and more like he fails to realized that they have added Tampa and Denver as part of their "major" series. So instead of becoming educated about the new changes, he just started bashing the league. I have a strong feeling this guy hasn't even played a NPPL even in at least a couple of years if ever due to the quickness in his desire to flame the league without even knowing what he is talking about.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM #17
631_Apathy
Dehh

631_Apathy plays in the APPA D5 division
631_Apathy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
631_Apathy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetBunkerD View Post
So instead of being productive and trying to help possibly one of the best leagues ever to hit paintball (not saying the PSP isn't just as good, if not better) you would rather choose to only bring out the negativity?

Sounds much like a hater to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM #18
FreakinJB

Quote:

I really struggle to understand your points which makes me think you're just here trying to ruffle feathers. 4 events on top of what existed last year means more time, logistics, venue costs and employees on the NPPL side. If you hate this league as much as you lead on, please just stop coming to events.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM #19
paintsprayerrr

paintsprayerrr plays in the PSP
paintsprayerrr plays in the APPA D1 division
The NPPL is having the minor league for several reasons:

1) To help those teams who cannot afford to travel far away for every event. (It will still give them a chance to win the series).
2) To maintain some connection with these venues and fields (they have supported the NPPL and the NPPL may go back to these locations in the future).
3) NPPL has tried to do the "affiliate league" thing before, but in many aspects they have not been successful. They have offered free entry to the next NPPL event as the prize of these affiliate leagues in the past and in some cases have struggled to get teams to attend. If they offer series points for them, more teams will be encouraged to attend and will help these fields as well as the league.
4) To grow the sport and help encourage more teams to form and move up. This is something that Pev stresses in just about every interview he does.
5) To help produce more revenue. The locations of the minor league events will take place at existing fields and will have greatly reduced costs compared to the major events since they will not bring all of the vendors, people, and equipment that the other events need.

These are in no order and I am sure there are a dozen more reasons. I do not know if this is going to help push the NPPL forward or not, but at least they are acting to try and stay afloat in a very expensive sport/world.
paintsprayerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM #20
FrontPlaya04
I will set you on fire

FrontPlaya04 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I like the idea of minor events but it is a disadvantage to some teams living places that are far away from those minor events wont get the benefit of having an extra tournament to get points at. I wonder how they plan to level that disadvantage?

Nasty NXT for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ight=nxt+nasty
FrontPlaya04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM #21
FreakinJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontPlaya04 View Post
I like the idea of minor events but it is a disadvantage to some teams living places that are far away from those minor events wont get the benefit of having an extra tournament to get points at. I wonder how they plan to level that disadvantage?
I think their approach at this point is doing what's best for the greater good. 4 minor events are 4 more than existed last year, so unfortunately I think that will fall on deaf ears. We all know there's no perfect solution but with 8 geographically dispersed events, the likelihood that your team can make one is greater than in years past.