Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Military size should be reduced?
Yes 26 63.41%
No 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM #64
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Revolution View Post
Actually it protects us from the threat of ground invasion, since anyone who tries invading the U.S. can have their country instantly destroyed in retaliation.
No it doesn't. You are incorrect. The modern use of nuclear weapons is to prevent a nuclear attack.

Ask me how I know.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 01-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 PM #65
licence2kill
POOP

ladies, we can afford your big expensive military. don't listen to the deficit hawks.
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM #66
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Doesn't work so well if the country invading us has nukes too and would destroy us just as quickly...
Which is why they wouldn't invade us in the first place, both sides would lose. You can't defeat a nuclear armed superpower, you will be destroyed yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
No it doesn't. You are incorrect. The modern use of nuclear weapons is to prevent a nuclear attack.

Ask me how I know.
Simple ultimatum, "Halt aggression or face the total annihilation of you country".

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"

Last edited by Pump Revolution : 01-11-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM #67
scienceguy

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
I went to Afghanistan twice. On the ground, with a rifle, patroling for an enemy.

Frankly, Afghanistan proves the point that you will always need to put someone on the ground. You can hide from planes, you can mix in with the local population to defeat ISR platforms, but if you physically occupy space on the ground, you prevent the enemy from accomplishing their goals.

Afghanistan shows what happens when you DON'T put troops on the ground. The Bush administration tried to fight it with fighters and drones, only to find out they were failing because they simply couldn't deny the enemy the freedom to move. Hence the drawdown in Iraq and the surge in to Afghanistan in 2008-2010.
To ask someone on the inside. Are we doing things differently than the Russians did? Or are we going to have the same result? I'm just curious what the ground troops think.

To the op question: I think the real question is should we decrease the scope of the military. As it stands now, I think the military is underpowered for its current scope. It's not being put in a position where it can win. It's only in a position where it can make mistakes. Until we decrease the scope we shouldn't talk about decreasing the size. That's just my opinion.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM #68
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Simple ultimatum, "Halt aggression or face the total annihilation of you country".
Simple ultimatum, "Halt aggression or face the total annihilation of your country".

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 PM #69
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

Quote:
Do you think the U.S. should downsize it's military?

Aside from some minor incidents in WWII, the continental U.S. hasn't been attacked by another country since 1848.

I don't seen a need for such a vast number of ground troops in today's world. Ground forces are becoming obsolete IMO. I believe the threat of nuclear deterrence is much more effective than any standing army.

I definitely think that technology spending is important, but I believe having 1,500,000 active personnel to be completely unnecessary.

Thoughts?
We thought the same thing in Korea. No matter how much air and naval power you project, you need boots on the ground. See: Desert Storm, OIF/OEF, Kosovo.

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 AM #70
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
The sure seems to be working in Afghanistan.
Don't get the rules of engagement confused with what you think. How do you think the US won it's independance? Guerrilla warfare. How do you think we haven't won in Afghan...because we don't use that **** and they do. Take the gloves off and get bloody.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM #71
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
Don't get the rules of engagement confused with what you think. How do you think the US won it's independance? Guerrilla warfare. How do you think we haven't won in Afghan...because we don't use that **** and they do. Take the gloves off and get bloody.
Well we are never going to "take off our gloves", so yes that renders the troops pretty much useless. Which bringsis up theto question, why have so many troops if they can't be used effectively.

The troops capabilities don't matter if you can't use them.

Last edited by Pump Revolution : 01-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM #72
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
What you don't know about 03-05 in Iraq...There were no gloves.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM #73
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPressure View Post
We thought the same thing in Korea. No matter how much air and naval power you project, you need boots on the ground. See: Desert Storm, OIF/OEF, Kosovo.
World police: Ground forces are needed to enact our will.

National Defense: WOMD and technology handle that.

I should have been more specific in the OP, I believe the U.S. should cut back on foreign intervention and focus more on the home front.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 AM #74
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

So for limited engagements we should always use the nuclear option as a fall back plan after our new weaker military is overwhelmed? Why not just keep a strong military that doesn't get overwhelmed and drastically reduces the need to ever use nuclear options. It's the last thing other countries want as well, however they know the limits to which we won't use them.

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 AM #75
licence2kill
POOP

Quote:
So for limited engagements we should always use the nuclear option as a fall back plan after our new weaker military is overwhelmed? Why not just keep a strong military that doesn't get overwhelmed and drastically reduces the need to ever use nuclear options. It's the last thing other countries want as well, however they know the limits to which we won't use them.
ok, stop cutting taxes then
Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 AM #76
Snake13
Escaped Rakkasan

Snake13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
overwhelmed how? where? Our navy can kick the **** out of the rest of the world, combined, and the only other two countries on our continent are either unable to even conquer themselves or our best buds.

I have no problem with having a military capable of asserting our foreign policy objectives, but stop acting we need what we have for "defense"
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM #77
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
ok, stop cutting taxes then
I could have sworn they just went up...

-Said nobody, ever.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM #78
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Quote:
god forbid we ask the rich to pay a little more in taxes to pay for countering the great commie threat
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31910310/page/16

They should pay all that welfare to those numerous liberal states too, right? How many cities went bankrupt in California last year, I forget.

Speaking of taxes on the rich:

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/01/1...tax-on-braces/

Those people above $53,000 are rich. Let's just keep bumping the debt ceiling and drown in money owed instead.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 PM #79
licence2kill
POOP

Tuff, blue states are net contributors to the federal government. Red states are generally net takers.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM #80
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Tuff, blue states are net contributors to the federal government. Red states are generally net takers.
Define "takers".

How can you "take" what is yours?

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM #81
licence2kill
POOP

How much you give to federal government in taxes against how much you receive in aid from them. Essentially net transfers from blue states to red ones.

derp
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM #82
licence2kill
POOP

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2013/0...ntil-2020.html
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM #83
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
How much you give to federal government in taxes against how much you receive in aid from them. Essentially net transfers from blue states to red ones.

derp
Essentially this:

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM #84
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:

derp
Well you got me on that one. Misunderstood what you were talking about(probably should have read the links in the previous post).

edit: And to bring this thread back on topic....Snake13, I think we do need what we have for defense. Are we using a lot of it for defense? Nope. But just having the technology and firepower that we have is our defense. No one wants to mess with us when we have the weapons we have.

"It's mine."

Last edited by BodyCount81 : 01-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote