Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM #1
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
remote control devices on the field

So now the ability to have a drone at a lower cost is becomming more affordable. Remote control helicoptors are at or under $50 for the holidays. Wifi hotspots allow commnecting a camera phone to a laptop is much more affordable. I've made a small servo mounted turn table that mounts under the the helicoptor that holds the hard case holding the camera phone.

While moving, the camera phone can pick up 40-60' in distance solid objects (distinguish a man shaped object in a tree line). It's blurred at some points so you have to stop to count the number of advancing troops. It works well for using things that I have at home.

The issue is making some sort of lower shield under the coptor so it breaks paintballs and doesn't break the rotors. I'm looking at making a frame out of coat hangers and have a sheet of plastic larger than the diameter of the rotors, but it might hurt the flight capabilities. I've shot down my other smaller remote control helicoptor several times with out the rotors breaking, however it's a three shot kill, meaning that if you hit it three times in a row, it's going down.

Anyone use "drones" in scernario games?

If so, what do you use to make a drone?

Any games allow drones?
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2012, 01:32 PM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Nevers seen any in play. Many discussions like the thread you started. Most ended with the two issues you already addressed. Initial Expense and vunerability to paintballs EVEN if shooting at them is not allow per the rules.

Put up a light bulb for a night game and somebody shoots at it. Rule or now rule.

But you've already built one! You have to go play with it and SEE if the assumptions are true or not....

Deer Hunters never look up. Why should paintballers?

It is hard enough to teach the Newbies on our side to look around and watch their flank. We teach the Newbies on the other side the Hard Way.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 PM #3
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I see. It's a weather ballon or nothing. If it can be shot down, we might as well assume it will.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Don't give up so easy. they don't make that much noise. With some altitude and firing around the field, who would notice?

I like your weather balloon idea. Put the camera underneath it and the helo on TOP to tow it around. the helo would be protected and paintballs just bounce off the weather balloon. The balloon could haul the weight of extra batteries for the helo. Might have a wonderfull "hang time" of several hours. Just thottle it back when you get in position. Get some super glue and glue a balloon to the skids and see what happens. If you can still fly it.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 AM #5
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
Hold on, you're attaching the phone to the helicopter and broadcasting over wifi to a laptop?

Wifi has lousy range compared to other wireless broadcast methods. Go on eBay and buy a USB security dvr. This will allow you to plug in cctv cameras to your laptop and will include the programs to view those cameras. Then search eBay for a wireless pinhole security camera. They are small and square, run on one 9v battery, and can broadcast through open air up to 300'. Mount that on your chopper.

Btw, USB dvr should be around 8-12$. Camera with receiver should be around 30-40$. Good luck, post up your results.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote