Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 PM #1
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Portable Bunker

I'm enjoying the pin down bunker position and like having cover but not all good positions have a good cover to use.

I've thought about using hay bails but those are a pain in the *** to carry long distances. I've then thought about a folding wooden tri-fold with open center barrel mount.

Has anyone have a portable bunker they have carried or have as a portable option?
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 PM #2
hardboy

Thats a great idea.
hardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM #3
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Today I met a guy that showed me what you can build with a shovel and a tarp to make a bunker.

If you have a hill side, you can carve a two man bunker at 6' long with two piles on the side about 3 to 4' high. The back is a step out that goes up the hill into tree cover. Most bunkers were dug with a tree line as a back side for easy escape.

Common targets in scenario are bridges, open stretches of road without cover, and entrances and exits of buildings.

I'm thinking I need to see the rules of places like Skirmish on altering the land surface for a game then filling back in the hole. I'm thinking it's more of a game moving from cover to cover.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM #4
Killa Daddy Of Two
Killa Daddy of Two

Killa Daddy Of Two is playing at Living Legends V
Killa Daddy Of Two owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Killa Daddy Of Two has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Killa Daddy Of Two is attending Decay of Nations VI
Christian P, there was a guy at OKDDAY who went by the name Texas Ace (he may still be on their forums) who made portable plywood bunkers much like you are describing. They were hinged in the middle, and had a horizontal slit through the middle of it. They worked wonderfully. I may be able to get the drawings from my team Owner, as Texas Ace gave him the schematics, let me get back to you.
Killa Daddy Of Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM #5
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Texas Ace is still around the D-Day Forums, in fact he's
part of the site's Admin staff.

The portable bunkers which consist of a center piece
with a port for the gun barrel and two hinged sides
are still popular at D-Day. I've also see 'field pieces'
which are similar, except they're also fitted with a
pair of wheels in use.

As for materials consider using 1/4" plywood, or
heavier duty core-ply.

Sincerely,
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM #6
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Well, Portable Bunkers are not generally allowed at most games. Generallly, anything you are carrying is part of your gear and if hit, is a kill. So it gets complicated and easy to start controversey if you were REALLY Stationary or not with they started shooting at you. So check with the field and producer first. The guy at D Day had a in with the staff and I will bet $100 if I showed up with one just like it and wanted to play Allied side, it would not be allowed.

A thing called a PUG or Walking Tank is not allowed at many games such as D Day as they are considered "portable bunkers". I run a walking tank and share designs and plans for them. Much more complicated to build than what you are talking about.

But it is considered armor or 'light' armor. Impervious to paintballs. Takes a satchel charge, RPG or tank Round, or attack helicopter to kill it. Mine is backpack based so it is VERY portable. Can break the 5 mph speed limit for armor. It is 65 pounds battle ready including an auto loading cannon and a 25 pound SCUBA air tank. Without the cannon and extra air supply, it would be 30-35 pounds with just a marker.

Also made a pair out of 1" thinwall PVC pipe. Have a BETTER design now than this to share with anyone interested. Again backpack based and considered armor. You don't have to have a cannon either. It will drop 30 of the 70 pounds of hardware if you omit the cannon and just use a marker. Very playable at 40 pounds.

Below is a walking tank concept I have been pondering for a few years now. It is a flawed design but is more like a portable bunker than a Mech Warrior.

Imagine NO FRAME and NO WHEELS. Just a SLED that looks like a tank. The tank tracks are the 'runners' of the sled. The trick is to build it light enough for two guys to have FUN dragging it around the field. That has been the problem with the vast majority of walking tanks. Weight.

I solved the problem using 1/4" - 6mm polycarbonate twin wall. A 4-8 sheet is about 7 pounds. 1/4" 4x8 plywood is about 20 pounds by comparison. Very LIGHT, very STRONG and very Expensive at $80 a sheet but you don't use a lot.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/...ETWINWALLSHEET

I mention that because your original idea would find this extremely light and portable. 4 two foot wide sections, 4 foot tall would haul on your back and weigh max of 8 pounds. Heck of a porta-bunker.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 12-04-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 AM #7
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

I think a "built up" poisition is better and more accepted than carrying a "shield" as it's been called (a plywood bunker).

I'm working on getting low, in bush, and using down trees with low land dirt to get in a kill zone.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM #8
Fenix86

What about using a riot shield? I managed to get one off the internet and I use it when playing with friends but never played in any events with it. Or what about using a shield mounted onto the gun sort of like on the video game "army of two". Has anyone ever done anything like this before and used these methods at big scenario events?
Fenix86 is offline   Reply With Quote