PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 AM #1975
xXinpayneXx
MW

Dot is self regulated as well... some helmets that say DOT may have never done any actual testing... brain buckets... ect.

ECE is one of the best, and the previous snell is considered too hard by most, the new snell is more inline with ECE standards.... which is also FIM standard iirc.
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 AM #1976
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
There isn't anything special about the ninja 250 being hard to start. Mine always fired right up with some choke and away I went. You should never let it sit and idle to warm it up.
On a cold start, my 07 250 wouldn't go unless you warmed it up for at least a minute. I wouldn't let it sit and idle for long but If you just started it, put it in first and tried to go, it would stall. Or it would stall at the bottom of my drive as soon as I turned and tried to give it gas to pull out and I'd almost fall on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4literranger485 View Post
they are heeeaeaaavvvyyy
You talking about the EXO 1100? The reviews I've ready have said it being light is one of it's best features. IIRC, it's Scorpion's lightest helmet.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM #1977
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
NOPE!! just realized i made a common internet mistake and made my comment on my dealings with the EXO-1000.

I've never seen the 1100 in person. Alas, I'm an internet newb, lmao

so the 1100 is light you say? I might have to fondle one in person. I think my Shoei turns into a pumpkin in either late '13 or '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXinpayneXx View Post
Dot is self regulated as well... some helmets that say DOT may have never done any actual testing... brain buckets... ect.

ECE is one of the best, and the previous snell is considered too hard by most, the new snell is more inline with ECE standards.... which is also FIM standard iirc.
+1 for ECE, it's the "standard" for helmet safety IMO. Any ECE helmet would also meet dot/snell....but many dont carry them because they'd have to pay for DOT/Snell testing and just add costs.

Does anyone know if the law (where there are helmet laws) require your lid to be DOT certified? I know as a military rider, our regulations REQUIRE us to be in DOT lids....even if their are better options out there. But our regs really aren't geared towards safety.

Last edited by 4literranger485 : 01-05-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM #1978
BunkerNinja

BunkerNinja is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Did you see the new Husky TR650?
Yeah, it's pretty interesting, but I'm wanting something that will be a little more at home on track. Big trailies aren't my thing. If I get a bike for dirt it'll be an EXC.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM #1979
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
On a cold start, my 07 250 wouldn't go unless you warmed it up for at least a minute. I wouldn't let it sit and idle for long but If you just started it, put it in first and tried to go, it would stall. Or it would stall at the bottom of my drive as soon as I turned and tried to give it gas to pull out and I'd almost fall on my face.
You are really making me doubt your clutch slipping abilities
Slip it and run the revs up a bit. It'll go.

Quote:
NOPE!! just realized i made a common internet mistake and made my comment on my dealings with the EXO-1000.

I've never seen the 1100 in person. Alas, I'm an internet newb, lmao

so the 1100 is light you say? I might have to fondle one in person. I think my Shoei turns into a pumpkin in either late '13 or '14

+1 for ECE, it's the "standard" for helmet safety IMO. Any ECE helmet would also meet dot/snell....but many dont carry them because they'd have to pay for DOT/Snell testing and just add costs.

Does anyone know if the law (where there are helmet laws) require your lid to be DOT certified? I know as a military rider, our regulations REQUIRE us to be in DOT lids....even if their are better options out there. But our regs really aren't geared towards safety.

I can confirm the exo1100 is much lighter than the 1000.

If your state has a helmet law it probably requires a DOT helmet.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM #1980
tex_mania
BSA Support

tex_mania plays in the PSP
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:

I'm like 99% sure that if your state has a helmet law, it's dot. Dot is a us standard, i think snell and ece are both euro.

As far as military regs go, you may be required to wear a dot lid by regs, but I work access control at a military base, and ride with mp's. honestly, so long as it looks like a motorcycle helmet, you're prolly good. Unless you do something to piss off a mp, then you might get a helmet ticket in addition to your 1408 or dcvn or whatever it is. Just don't wear a horned Viking helmet like one asshat did here, and you'll be fine, lol
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM #1981
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Lid laws vary by state. Here in NY, DOT is the min. CT has no helmet law.

Thinking of this as another to add to the fleet.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM #1982
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
You are really making me doubt your clutch slipping abilities
Slip it and run the revs up a bit. It'll go.
Yeah, that's what I'd have to do.

Probably the best thing about having a FI bike. Love the instant start and knowing the power is going to be there even when it's cold.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM #1983
4literranger485
xtreme noob

FI is seriously so nice. I hate carburetors :fact:
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM #1984
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

All my bikes are carb'd and I don't have any trouble. They just don't like to sit unused thanks to the **** we have for fuel these days.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

"Originally posted by drunkkoala: does that make sense to you? u ****ing idiot."
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM #1985
4literranger485
xtreme noob

amen to that. spent a couple hours the other day cleaning out the carbs on my v-twin....PITA. pilot jets were almost solid gummed up
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 AM #1986
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

The only people who hate carbs just can't understand them, which is a shame because they're incredibly simple things. Your bike should fire up in any temp and any condition if your carbs are all sorted. I have no troubles getting my pre gen ninja started ever. It always starts right up with an application of the choke when stone cold and a blip of the throttle after it has warmed up. I can ride away immediately after starting, even on a stone cold engine. It doesn't like to idle when its that cold, but that's what you blip the throttle for at idle until its warm. I use the choke to richen the fuel mixture to get it fired, then I immediately turn it off and use the throttle to keep the RPMs up and ride away.

If you're having troubles with your idle mixture and 1/8-1/4 throttle setting then chances are you need to adjust your fuel screws. If this is a ninja 250 were talking about, then chances are the screws are set wrong from the factory. You have to drill out the stupid EPA limiter caps then set the screws to 2.5-3 turns out. This setting will vary depending on your altitude and weather conditions. But that's a good base line for a stock ninja 250.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM #1987
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
I'm thinking about picking up an agv t2 for my first helmet. It seems to be the best bang for my buck between safety, comfortability, and features.

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM #1988
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post
The only people who hate carbs just can't understand them, which is a shame because they're incredibly simple things. Your bike should fire up in any temp and any condition if your carbs are all sorted. I have no troubles getting my pre gen ninja started ever. It always starts right up with an application of the choke when stone cold and a blip of the throttle after it has warmed up. I can ride away immediately after starting, even on a stone cold engine. It doesn't like to idle when its that cold, but that's what you blip the throttle for at idle until its warm. I use the choke to richen the fuel mixture to get it fired, then I immediately turn it off and use the throttle to keep the RPMs up and ride away.

If you're having troubles with your idle mixture and 1/8-1/4 throttle setting then chances are you need to adjust your fuel screws. If this is a ninja 250 were talking about, then chances are the screws are set wrong from the factory. You have to drill out the stupid EPA limiter caps then set the screws to 2.5-3 turns out. This setting will vary depending on your altitude and weather conditions. But that's a good base line for a stock ninja 250.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page
I have a pretty good understanding of carbs, I'm just too lazy to want to work on them once a season.

I rode the piss out of my Ninja for about 50 miles yesterday. Felt nice to get it out. Def. gotta get a rear hugger for that thing. Rode through a little bit of snow and the entire rear of the bike is covered in ****.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM #1989
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

You shouldn't have to work on them once a season. They're set it and forget it, unless of course you mod your bike or have a massive elevation change. For the winter just turn the fuel cock off, run the bike dry, then when it dies just crack the bowl screws and drain the rest of the gas out. You really can't call that "working" on the carbs. That's just a minor winter prep, but that's all you should have to do to a carbed bike. If you let the bike sit with fuel in it for too long, that's just your fault. Even with FI I wouldn't want to run the bike with this ethanol crap were forced to put into our bikes if it was let to sit for too long.

Screw riding right now. Way too many slick patches. Every time I take a turn in my truck I have the option to do a drift cuz the roads are so slick. I'd be dead on a bike lol

Last edited by Milky Spore : 01-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM #1990
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Roads were dry and clear yesterday. And the new gen ninja has no fuel petcock
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM #1991
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Thought about riding today. It's going to get up close to 50. But, it rained here all day yesterday so that moisture in the air plus the cloud cover today makes it a very chilly 50.

Plus I need to take down all my christmas stuff. And I've got to take my handlebars off so I can mount my RAM Mount Iphone holder into the fork stem hole.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM #1992
UglyDuckGizmo
Surfer of pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff42 View Post
I'm thinking about picking up an agv t2 for my first helmet. It seems to be the best bang for my buck between safety, comfortability, and features.
I had a T-2

Fantastic. I love AGV lids. Very light weight and very aerodynamic. Comfy and gets excellent impact ratings. Didn't fit my head 100% right so after I bumped my noggin in it I went to a suomy vandal which is perfect. Try before you buy, or at least make sure it'll be an easy exchange.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM #1993
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
Roads were dry and clear yesterday. And the new gen ninja has no fuel petcock
Disconnect the fuel delivery hose and tie it up so no fuel leaks out of the end.

Duck those pics are sweet.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM #1994
4literranger485
xtreme noob

whatchu got there gizmo? an sv dressed as a gsxr? I need me another SV for the track.....le sigh

I always wanted an AGV rossi rep but didn't want to look like too much of a fanboy. Sweet lookin' helmets though!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM #1995
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Damn it!!! The RAM Mount for my Iphone didn't work on my bike. The RAM Mount site showed it on a 2012 Ninja 650. But it doesn't work on the 2009 Ninja 650. I got the one where the base mounts in the fork stem hole. On the 2012, they moved the ignition from the tree to the tank. That allowed them to move the handle bars up on the tree clearing the fork stem hole allowing just enough room for for it. But the bars on the 2009 are right over the stem hole and doesn't leave enough room. Of course I didn't figure that out until I have removed the handlebars.

Closed Thread