Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM #22
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Yeah, we offered three different rental packages when we opened. After about 8 months we got rid of all of them and offer a rental package and an own gear package. It sucked having to explain to everyone what the difference was and what was better about the upgraded packages. Sign-up procedures went much faster once we got rid of the different packages.

If you want to rent upgrades, have them hanging on the wall with a big sign that says, "Upgrade your Rental to this for only $15 more". There is no harm in advertising all your upgrades available on your website for all the keeners, but keep the sign-up as simple as possible, especially if you are expecting big crowds.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM #23
99BPS

Horizon - Thanks for the respectful tone, you've been one of the few people to use one in this thread. We have our reasons, and we think we can run it, but I understand what your saying. We don't want kids honestly. We want the college kids, and we KNOW we can get them. They come to a number of outlaw fields, we know the numbers well (we play there). They rent other kids high end markers for good money to play. They bring paint. They spend a lot on paintball, but they don't wanna own their own gear, often for fears of theft (they live in bad parts of town). Further they can't upkeep their markers and such, they just love to play and have someone else do the work.

We plan on having a basic package, and the ups AVAILABLE. Those who are new may not even notice and thats fine. We just want them there is someone is thinking "I'd like to see if an ultralight is worth it" they could rent one for the day for their OWN marker even. Or if someone has a steely and wants to see how a CF tank feels on their marker, they can rent one for the day.

Say someone comes in with a grav feed and wants to try an electric hopper? rent it. Someone comes in with an Ion and wants to try an Empire Sniper, or a Tactical Macdev drone? As long as the company is willing to work with us (and as I said several are) we will Demo their gear to players for a price.

Executive Paintball -

Your not seeing it. We can answer instantly FOR RENTERS.

The other sets are more to DEMO markers, which is why we have a limited number. Further I watch people want to spend money at fields when they go 4 times a year, but have nothing to spend it on. Offering barrels and such allow people to upgrade their day of play.

But no, if someone asks you answer the most basic package. When they arrive, if they see something on the wall they would like to shoot, we then talk about that.

The suggestion about no Co2 is a good one, something I had not put as much thought as other aspects into.

Red paint has long been the color of the team sponsoring the field. Not something I'll have a say in, but it will be red. Paintball is a fun safe game, using red paint doesnt change that. I personally have more of an issue with the markers made to look like real guns (but heavier and CRAPPIER) then a normal one. But they still make em and you don't send those players away from your field. Red fill is easy to see and hard to whipe lol.

Our main audience is the average Brooklyn college student. Who has cash to play maybe once a month. But if the rental equipment is decent they won't buy their own gear (we asked 1000s of people a bunch of questions).

We have companies will to work with us. NOT for the rental FLEET but to keep 3 markers of theirs running for DEMOS at all times. Free markers, repairs and upgrades to keep them running and rent them out. We have several companies very happy to work with us, so idk about all that. We also have some nice ins with companies, my biz partners have awesome phonebooks.

Look i'm a 15% stake owner. I'm not calling the shots, but I'm the most avid on the boards so I wanted to bring up some ideas here. The field is mostly owned by a local Producer (major NYC production company, if you party here you've been to their shows for sure), and the rest is owned by a PSP team.
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap

Last edited by 99BPS : 01-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM #24
C4talyst

C4talyst has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
Horizon - Thanks for the respectful tone, you've been one of the few people to use one in this thread.
Huh, so not agreeing with what you're planning as a business venture due personal experiences equates to being disrespectful? Right then.
C4talyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM #25
99BPS

C4talyst I would 100% say the same to you, which is why I did say most. You have been respectful the entire time, I even went back to read your posts. If you look through the thread not everyone has maintained the same tone.

Peoples comments have been more then a little...condescending

Horizon does not agree with me either, and he is the one I was complimenting directly in the first place, its not about agreeing. Its about being respectful, and c4alyst, you as well have been a MODEL for the concept this thread.

Please do not think I was suggesting everyone had been disrespectful, but a few voices are notable.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 PM #26
C4talyst

C4talyst has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
My apologies, I glimpsed through the thread and didn't see any, but like I said I glimpsed.

Serves me right
C4talyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 PM #27
99BPS

All good!

I like Horizon's comments a lot because he's basically been like

A. Tried something similar.
B. Heres what didn't work
C. Heres what could make it work/fail

Some have been like
A. Tried it and didn't work
sometimes B. Heres whats went wrong

Which is chill as well, hearing what went wrong/didn't work does help a good deal and is exactly what I asked for. What I didn't like was...

A. Doesn't work

Me. Well heres our idea.

A. Silly, never will work...makes assumptions...

Me. Well...heres why it COULD work...in this situation

A. Nope....but im not going to read what your saying.

Just not helpful. I certainly prefer people to say it didn't work and explain why. Horizon went the extra step and was like "well here is what you could do differently if you wanted it to work better." A major annoyance has been those saying things are "impossible" when we have arguments in writing that say otherwise.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM #28
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
One question that may clear up a bit of the confusion for some.........I know it will for me.

Are you going to be selling guns and gear as well? As in a pro shop? Or are you just running a field. I only ask because of your comment about demoing other types of guns and products.

If you're selling gear then that's a cool idea. If you're not, then I honestly don't see the point to the added cost and man hours needed to stock, keep track of and maintain higher end products for people who just want to try them? I could see if you just gave them an upgraded package.........but item by item seems an overly complex way to do things. If there were a potential sale possible it makes more sense to me.

Maybe you could clarify that.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals, spring detents(not sure which models) F/S

Last edited by MstrKey : 01-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM #29
99BPS

Pro shop as well, major pro shop.
Basically a pro shop with a field to use the shiz you buy!

And deals where if you demo something and buy it, you can get the money you spent demoing it taken off the final price...
Thats the idea for sure, like you come in not sure you want to put an on/off asa onto your marker. Its like 45$ and you don't know how different your marker would be. Rent one for 10, and if you end up wanting it buy it for 35$. You got to try it out first, and if you don't like it you save yourself money and the field still gets 10$.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM #30
Elo160

Elo160 supports Team VICIOUS
Elo160 supports Team VICIOUS
Elo160 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

And deals where if you demo something and buy it, you can get the money you spent demoing it taken off the final price...
Thats the idea for sure, like you come in not sure you want to put an on/off asa onto your marker. Its like 45$ and you don't know how different your marker would be. Rent one for 10, and if you end up wanting it buy it for 35$. You got to try it out first, and if you don't like it you save yourself money and the field still gets 10$.
It sounds like its going to be overly complicated to do that. For the most part, when the guy at my local pro shop says that something is better than something else, i take his word for it. I think its going to be too hard on your staff. Having dedicated demo guns is one thing, but I don't know how how you are going to demo parts. If someone decides not to purchase the part, then you have a used part that you have to sell. And i as a player am not going to buy a used part.

"Originally posted by "0102030405: Are you a ninja on vacation?"
Elo160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM #31
99BPS

The chances of real loss are pretty limited. It helps that a team w/ sponsorship owns a big stake in the field. Means used gear always has a use.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM #32
TeacherCreature

It sounds to me like a lot of your plans are based on the repeat business and mindset of some "regular" players, and I think time has shown with almost EVERY field that, this strategy doesnt work. I could be wrong just throwing it out there.

In terms of Pumps and lots of options I dont think people are trying to be rude but your ideas are not NEW they have been tried a TON of times and always fail. I still say go for it but I think some peopel get offended that you think you are the one person that will make it work and be good even though many successful people with years of experience say it wont. Maybe that is the tone you are seeing? Not sure

Anyway my opinion is you are trying to specialize which although is great is extra difficult, and it is my opinion that before you try the extra difficult it might be more prudent to start with making a profit and being viable before you get too specialized.... just my 2 cents
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM #33
TeacherCreature

In fact my advice would be a regular field and see if you can stay in business and if you like pump get one fleet of regular pumps and try it ONE day a week or month. I am guessing you wont even have any players on that day...
The beauty of this strategy is on that day you can alter the rules to whatever suits you....
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM #34
MstrKey

hmm

Quote:

Ok if you have a pro shop then it makes more sense to me, thanks for clearing that up.

Still seems a bit complex to me though. Plus you may be stuck with a lot of used gear which means little profit margin on it. You don't want to be selling a lot of used stuff because there's no money in it.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM #35
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Ok if you have a pro shop then it makes more sense to me, thanks for clearing that up.

Still seems a bit complex to me though. Plus you may be stuck with a lot of used gear which means little profit margin on it. You don't want to be selling a lot of used stuff because there's no money in it.
You have to remember though that they've already made some money off it by renting it out at least once.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM #36
MstrKey

hmm

Quote:

Still seems a bit complex to me though. Plus you may be stuck with a lot of used gear which means little profit margin on it. For example, if a guy shooting a tippman slaps on a new barrel he's not going to notice a lot of difference. Then you're stuck with a used barrel. Same goes with hoppers, air tanks etc. I'm not sure how you're going to work it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 AM #37
THE MEANSTREAK
TEAM MEANSTREAK

THE MEANSTREAK owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE MEANSTREAK owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
THE MEANSTREAK supports Team VICIOUS
THE MEANSTREAK has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post

Still seems a bit complex to me though. Plus you may be stuck with a lot of used gear which means little profit margin on it. For example, if a guy shooting a tippman slaps on a new barrel he's not going to notice a lot of difference. Then you're stuck with a used barrel. Same goes with hoppers, air tanks etc. I'm not sure how you're going to work it.
I think what he is saying is the player will rent something he wants to try out..i.e. barrel, hopper, air tank. The field will have one they rent. If you like it the price you rented it for gets taken off a new one. Then they rent it again to the next guy, if he doesn't like it he tries something else. After 3-4 people trying and not buying it is paid for, but the field is only ever out the first product unless you get a couple of the try/don't buy.
THE MEANSTREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM #38
MstrKey

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEANSTREAK View Post
I think what he is saying is the player will rent something he wants to try out..i.e. barrel, hopper, air tank. The field will have one they rent. If you like it the price you rented it for gets taken off a new one. Then they rent it again to the next guy, if he doesn't like it he tries something else. After 3-4 people trying and not buying it is paid for, but the field is only ever out the first product unless you get a couple of the try/don't buy.
That's the only way it would work. I hope that's what he's suggesting.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM #39
Horizon

Here's an idea for renting an item and then offering the product for a discount. It would require a little tracking, but easy enough to do if you have a computer with a database on it at the field/store. The idea works a bit like a Dutch Auction.

Say the item is rented out for $10 and normally sells for $60.

The initial renter can purchase the item for $50 (plus his $10 rental, so $60 total) if he thinks it's worth buying.

If he chooses not to purchase, the next time the item (the exact same one) is rented out for $10 again, and if the customer decides to purchase the item, an additional $5 discount is give. So now the customer can buy it for $45 plus the $10 rental.

If the item still hasn't sold, the next customer can rent the item and can then purchase the item for an additional $5 discount at $40 plus the $10 rental.

This way, each successive customer can purchase the item cheaper (because it gets more and more used), but the store actually makes an additional $5 each time the item is not purchased and goes back into inventory. Eventually the item will be cheap enough that it WILL be purchased and the store made more money from the item than if they would have sold it outright for full retail. The $5 earned each time should easily cover the extra administrative costs. The $ values change of course with the value of the items rented/sold.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM #40
MstrKey

Interesting..........certainly would be hard to keep track of but like you said it WILL sell at some point. I suppose one could use a grease pen or something to simply mark the item in a non permanent way. That way staff will know the rental and retail value at any one time.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM #41
PCPaintball.Scott
BALLING SINCE 84'

good luck to you and grats on your goal to try be your own boss It will always be a struggle. I hope your right on your assumptions. But to be honest most college student I know were always broke.
Phone # 626-391-9706
Store Hours
Tuesday to Saturday-12am to 9pm
Best Deals in Town!***Ask 4 your Discount!!!***
http://www.facebook.com/PCPaintballWC001
PCPaintball.Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM #42
firl21
Atlanta Overdose

firl21 is playing at Living Legends VI
firl21 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
firl21 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
firl21 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Paint - (Red fill)
DXS Practice Paint - 45$ a Case
RPS Marbilizers - 75$ a Case
First Strikes - 85$/120 Rounds
First Strikes - 10$/10 Round Tube

What do other field owners think?
NEVER USE RED FILL
parents think its blood/looks like blood.
Red paint also masks blood if someone does get hurt
Use a yellow or green fill.

This allows for better visibility of the mark and also lets people use there leftover paint at other fields if they want
#21 Atlanta Overdose

Check us out on facebook

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL PAINTBALL FIELD
Major Azodin Fan
firl21 is offline   Reply With Quote