Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM #1324
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoxxPaintball View Post
Anyone have any tank mate recommendations for a flower horn?

He's still at the local fish store right now (paid for) and he'll be going into a 75 gallon tank once I get back from class in 10 weeks.

Just looking for some recommendations on stocking.
never had a flowerhorn but i have a red devil or maybe a midas and they are not very friendly. i dont think they really recommend anything with them with the exception of maybe some small fast guys with some hiding places. I kept mine with a jaguar in a 120 gallon for a while but eventually they started bothering eachother. cant imagine a flowerhorn being a lot more docile then them.

The Ripdisc Collection
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM #1325
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoxxPaintball View Post
Anyone have any tank mate recommendations for a flower horn?

He's still at the local fish store right now (paid for) and he'll be going into a 75 gallon tank once I get back from class in 10 weeks.

Just looking for some recommendations on stocking.
more flowerhorns!

the bottom line is that even though they are a "man made" species they are still a south american ciclid and are territorial as all hell. if you have enough space you can keep just about anything with them but i would be careful of other, aggressive species. it really comes down to each individual fish when dealing with SA species. i have seen pics of tanks with flowerhorns, jags, midas and butterkoferi all living together peacefully and those are some of the meanest SOB's you can get. they guy had a big enough set up and picked more docile fish and it worked.

i would say your best bet is trying some kind of cat fish like a synodontis or something. for keeping larger SA's its usually a good idea to go species specific and keep the stock low (that is why i don't really keep SA's anymore, plus they tear your aquaspace to ****)

Last edited by imhungry : 01-04-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM #1326
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

forgot to set a timer for my 5.5 gal planted puffer tank when i went to columbus this weekend and left the lights on for 48+ hours. as a result i got some hair algae...this is going to be fun.

water change, food cutdown and less hours of light for the next week and hopefully that will work.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 AM #1327
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

pbmink is reppin' sidebar 4 life
So this is a newt tank I built for a local classroom.

It now has a black hood and tank riser on it with a side compartment for the filter and air pump.

The plants are all in glass bowls using Walstead with a fluorite topper.

And now the newts
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM #1328
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i think your anubias is in too deep (or so it appears, cant really tell that well from the pick). roots can be submerged but the rhizome needs to be above the soil. outside that looks real good
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM #1329
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
i think your anubias is in too deep (or so it appears, cant really tell that well from the pick). roots can be submerged but the rhizome needs to be above the soil. outside that looks real good
I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM #1330
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

Prius driving liberal here whose profession is keeping animals.

You're not getting my help to further grossly **** your fish over. You don't even know the basics of fish keeping.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM #1331
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

Your lack of even basic research

Edit, imhungry, I went in to see the Anubis and the rhizome is indeed above the cap.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:32 PM #1332
wEskEr
AYO

wEskEr is playing at Living Legends V
wEskEr owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
wEskEr supports Team VICIOUS
wEskEr has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
wEskEr is Legendary
lol ick
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM #1333
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

uhh was a post deleted or something?

and i think it looked like the rhizome was under the substraite because of the glass bowl you have it in distorting the pic.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM #1334
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

Quote:
uhh was a post deleted or something?

and i think it looked like the rhizome was under the substraite because of the glass bowl you have it in distorting the pic.
A couple.
Asking why his over stocked tank had a host of issues after going on a short tirade about how stupid people at the fish store and who work in the animal industry are. Plus some mentions about liberals being fags.
It's for the best they were deleted.

Ya, it's kinda a weird tank to get a picture of.
But I'm stoked to see how Walstead works in planters. I've only ever done it in full bottom 10's and 20l's.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM #1335
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

well looks like i missed some fun, oh well.

****ty day, one of my dwarf puffers bit it. i thought it was a female when i got it but it was looking 2 be a male so i would have had to move him anyway (2 male small tank is no bueno). he was kind of sickly when i got him and looked to be doing better but he obviously did not make it. im going to try to pick up a female this weekend, hopefully they will have some more mature ones in stock this time.

i am also going to try a few ghost shrimp in the tank as tests. if the puffers do not bother them ill get some crystal or bee shrimp. no use spending a bunch of money on something that could potentially be on the menu
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM #1336
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

How do you like your puffers?

I've been playing with the idea of grabbing a 29 tall and doing them for ****s and giggles now that I have a planted tank bug.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM #1337
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i like them, they are super intelligent as far as fish go. they recognize their owner and are almost like dogs. dwarfs are definitely the easiest to care for since you really do not have to worry about their beak growth. i feed my dwarfs on blood worms daily and ill throw a snail or 2 in once a week.

as far as care goes all puffers are incredibly sensitive to nitrates and are messy *** eaters so you need to be careful. there are a bunch of larger options for a 29gal but i would recommend staying away from the SA green puffers since you will absolutely have to clip their beaks, even if you feed them strait snails.

if you go dwarfs in the 29 you could throw a bunch in there. males need about 5 gallons each or there will be territory issues and females are not really aggressive towards their own species

EDIT: ill post some pics of my set up next week when i get my new phone. it is currently an anubias cluster **** and i am probably going to move a few nana's to my 29gal to make room for my microswords (which are expanding about twice as fast as i anticipated. i also have some stem plants and a crypt wendtii in there.

Last edited by imhungry : 01-14-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 PM #1338
ASCOFF

I guess nobody likes fish anymore... probably gunna put my guy down tomorrow morning if not tonight. Unfortunately everytime I go by the tank he looks so happy to see me its making it hard. Or maybe hes saying im suffering please kill me! lol this situation is f'd.

How long does it take new water to become "old water" so you can change it again. I think the evil germs are spawning at a higher rate than I can do water changes.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 AM #1339
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

With your bio load and lack of a stable nitrogen cycle I'd advise 30/40% water changes every other day.

If you want advice beyond that you're gonna have to post tank parameters.

Last edited by pbmink : 01-18-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM #1340
ASCOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmink View Post
With your bio load and lack of a stable nitrogen cycle I'd advise 30/40% water changes every other day.

If you want advice beyond that you're gonna have to post tank parameters.
I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately its too late, the guys at the fish store (the good one where everything is way over priced) stated that the disease is probably already in the fishes blood stream and it would be a miracle to see it get cured. Yesterday parts of his tail fell off which was already rotted to the body. He had ulser's appear on his fore head aswell. And his gills had this white stuff growing on it that wasn't ick. It all got really aggressive yesterday and he was gone this morning. Woke up early to check.

Something weird tho, I found two danios floating in the tank the day before. Im not sure what caused that maybe my ammonia spikes or something from all the water changes. One didn't show any external signs of disease or stress which was very weird.

Nitrate - 80

Nitrite - 0

Ph - low at like 6.0-6.5, so acidic.

KH - 0

GH - Went way down from maxed out on the API test to the middle level. Forgot the number. I dont have a way of checking ammonia.

Anyway its over now, were down to like 3-4 fish left. Oscar, jewel chiclid, and the gold fish. Im past the 5 days for Macaryn 2 but im going to keep using it. No other choice.

Oh by the way, the ****ty pet store & random people on the internet said increasing the temp will help accelerate recovery. Unless it was a crazy coincidence, when I did this everything went hay wire. Everyone that was slowly recovery mysteriously got way worse at an alarming rate. This is when those two danios died.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM #1341
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCOFF View Post

I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately its too late, the guys at the fish store (the good one where everything is way over priced) stated that the disease is probably already in the fishes blood stream and it would be a miracle to see it get cured. Yesterday parts of his tail fell off which was already rotted to the body. He had ulser's appear on his fore head aswell. And his gills had this white stuff growing on it that wasn't ick. It all got really aggressive yesterday and he was gone this morning. Woke up early to check.

Something weird tho, I found two danios floating in the tank the day before. Im not sure what caused that maybe my ammonia spikes or something from all the water changes. One didn't show any external signs of disease or stress which was very weird.

Nitrate - 80

Nitrite - 0

Ph - low at like 6.0-6.5, so acidic.

KH - 0

GH - Went way down from maxed out on the API test to the middle level. Forgot the number. I dont have a way of checking ammonia.

Anyway its over now, were down to like 3-4 fish left. Oscar, jewel chiclid, and the gold fish. Im past the 5 days for Macaryn 2 but im going to keep using it. No other choice.

Oh by the way, the ****ty pet store & random people on the internet said increasing the temp will help accelerate recovery. Unless it was a crazy coincidence, when I did this everything went hay wire. Everyone that was slowly recovery mysteriously got way worse at an alarming rate. This is when those two danios died.
Those good stores don't just sell you the item, they sell the information needed to make an informed decision. I still go into a local fish store that I'll pay 5% more at because I know leaving the store what I bought will work how and for what I want it. It's the same with me as a seller. My livestock prices might be higher than most but you get me and my knowledge base with it, 24/7 by email or phone.

Sorry to hear about him though.
If you're having danios dieing something is way wrong in the tank. At this point I would break the tank down and start it over
fish into buckets with an air stone.
water out
deco out
Substrate out
NEW filter pads
Rinse/clean everything well

With the bare glass tank you now have full it with water, water conditioner and since it'll be a zero day tank that helpful bacteria you bought earlier but used at the wrong time.
Get the refreshed filter and get that working and then add the fish back into the bare tank.

Get everyone healthy and then you can do it all over again but this time include new substrate and you can add your deco back in.

What temperature did you raise it too?
Also, in my experience heat does two things to a sick animal, it accelerates its demise rapidly, Or it helps it get better slightly faster. As such, I only raise the temperature on something if it is stable and already recovering. But never more than a degree or two.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM #1342
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

there is a reason you quarantine your fish before you put them into the aquarium...

and danios live through freaking anything. if they are dying off your tank needs to be nuked. seriously, i had a a roomate dump a bunch of vodka in my tank in college and everything died but the danios.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM #1343
ASCOFF

Quote:
there is a reason you quarantine your fish before you put them into the aquarium...

Huh? They got sick in my existing aquarium and I didn't have a QT at the time. Nor had I dealt with any disease/problems this serious.

and danios live through freaking anything. if they are dying off your tank needs to be nuked. seriously, i had a a roomate dump a bunch of vodka in my tank in college and everything died but the danios.
Mine were pretty robust, but they got ick. A couple got better. But it kept hanging on. The last ones got ick or some crazy disease. Anyway im taking your guys advice. I bought a 10 gallon set up for a QT/hospital tank. The couple fish may go on leave to this tank permanently if things go well. The oscar will probably get a bucket.

Anyway last time I started a new tank I bought a bunch of goldfish from the community tank to get the cycle started which im not planning on doing. Can I just take de-chlorinator like stress coat or prime, the same stuff I use for water changes to start up the new tank?

Last edited by ASCOFF : 01-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM #1344
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

No because that won't start the nitrogen cycle again...

I mean you can if you don't plan on having anything in it but fish and do daily water changes for two plus weeks.
Closed Thread