Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 AM #988
pbmink (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
pbmink is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneTheRipper View Post
Looking for some good running shoes. Any suggestions? Not looking for super expensive but I definitely need new ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekamp84 View Post

1. Go to running store,
2. get gait analysis,
3. ????,
4. profit (run better).
This is the only answer to any shoe question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraXX View Post
Any advice from knowledgeable runners on how to train to run 2-3 miles? I'd like to get into running and be able to comfortably run that, but I suck *** at running right now and if there is a desired regimen to follow?
C25k

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
As long as I can remember I've been told that I'm an underpronator. I have a tendancy to land on the outside of my foot and, if I'm not careful, roll my ankle. I've also been told that because of this, cushioned shoes are the best shoes for me. I've also been told to stay away from the stability/control shoes.

Is this accurate? If so, what running shoes should I be looking in to buying? My current pair are quite worn ...
Yes it is accurate.
Depending on severity and weight you could go anywhere from a light cushion or even neutral shoe to heavy cushioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve junky View Post
I underpronate as well, the key is finding a neutral shoe

Some shoes are made to help people that over pronate(most of the population) so getting these shoes will not help you.

If your on your feet all day in a pair of cushiony shoes then you should opt for a shoe that has some support.

But if you really want to find a true running shoe store and have them figure out how much you underpronate and see what shoes they think will fit your needs the best
No it isn't.

Some are. It's about 50/50.

You should always have proper arch support in any pair of running shoes. I have the stress fracture to attest to it.

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwestpballer View Post

I know absolute jack **** about the technical side of running. However I have had this problem since I can remember on my left foot. I've messed up my left ankle horribly from just walking around and rolling the damn thing. As far as shoes, I've been running with a pair of the minimus zeros for a couple of weeks and I've never felt better running. My calves felt like they were going to explode for the first week or so, but they feel pretty back to normal now. Looking at my other shoes I always wear down the outside rear portion of my shoes and I think it put my ankle at an angle that made it more prone to rolling. The more barefoot feel of the minimus really makes me feel much more comfortable.
Pretty much this is what's happening

You never took the time to properly rehab your ankle. The more minimalist shoe is forcing the issue upon your body. Problem is your body isn't ready to switch to a pure minimalist shoe and you can expect more problems in 3 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger View Post
OK. A little background and then I'll get to my actual question. During high school was a 3 varsity letter winner 3 years. Graduated at 5'10" 220 pounds. So I wasn't huge but definitely not small. The year following high school I sprung up to around 6'2" and about 250 pounds. After adopting some nasty habits such as smoking cigs and drinking lots o beers I got up to around 340lbs. After 6 years of nasty smoking and heavy binge drinking I can say I'm finally making some progress. Still drink on occasion which I don't seem to think is a problem. Just recently quit smoking. 22 days and counting. Having no problem with it. Right now I'm back down to around 280 pounds hoping to get back down to 220 again. Second day of not smoking I went for a run. Did a mile in about 11 minutes and about passed out. Since then I've been doing super hilly routes anywhere from 1.5 to 2 miles in about 15-25 minutes. I know it's not fast or anything to be proud of but I really want to run a 5k and make a decent time at it too. Kind of like showing people you can quit smoking and lose weight and change your life kind of thing. So any workout regiments or tips any of you guys could give me would be great. Thanks.
C25k
And then run a 5k
You'll feel amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPressure View Post

Most $100 sneakers are a rip off. I didn't see any shocks or air bubbles on any of the shoes in the Olympics.
You're a joke.
Every pair of 100+ dollar running shoes I have bought have been worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve junky View Post
because we all want to run with track cleats

those guys get shoes throw at them like dollar bills at a strip joint
Not really. It's generally a 2 pairs of trainers and two pairs of spikes a year ( or season depending on what your team does) sorta deal. Naturally the top names are different but that's how the farm teams work from my experience. Also wear testers get more shoes but they might not be a type that works with them always.
pbmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement