Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM #1
Parkrats V.2

PS3 on 19" Samsung monitor

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 941BW. It has DVI and VGA ports only. I'm trying to play my PS3 on it as it's the only display I have in my dorm and usually just use my computer to do things with it but now I'll have this and want to play it on there too.

Issue is I can't seem to get the PS3 to display a 16:10 ratio that my monitor is and I can't adjust the resolution on my monitor to have borders to fit the PS3 ratio of 16:9.

I've tried 2 different adapters now and get the message 'Not Optimal Resolution' and I just can't seem to figure out how to adjust it. When I plug in my computer and am able to access the monitor menu there is no options for resizing the resolution but when I mirror the display I can adjust the resolution with the settings on my computer.

Has anyone ever played a PS3 on a 1440x900 display via DVI and how did you do it?

Last edited by Parkrats V.2 : 12-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Parkrats V.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM #2
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

There should be a setting on the monitor to fill the screen.

There's nothing on the PS3's end that can make it display anything but 480/720/1080, as far as I know.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM #3
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
16:10?
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM #4
Parkrats V.2

Okay well I no longer have the adapters because I returned them but the only other things I've read is that male-male cables seem to have more success than adapters. I'm going to order one and just keep ****ing with my monitor. It just sucks that I can't access the menu when the PS3 is plugged in and giving me an error message.

Yes, 1440x900 is a wide screen ratio of 16:10. It's a bit more uncommon that's why I'm having issues I think.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM #5
Parkrats V.2

Just watched a video of people doing it. Maybe their monitors have something that mine doesn't but it was a 19" samsung. I set my PS3 to be limited at 720p turning the 1080 outputs off. Going to try again with this setup.

Got a DVI -> HDMI male-male cord ($40) for $3 from my buddy who works at best buy. He's able to get it so cheap because it's dynex the best buy brand so employees get it at china prices basically. Got it to display but the image isn't ideal, going to try adjusting to see what I can do.

Last edited by Parkrats V.2 : 12-27-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM #6
Parkrats V.2

SOLUTION: When set in 1080p it fits the screen pretty well, only cuts off about 1/10 of what should be there total, but that's each side combined so it's hardly noticeable. The resolution isn't ideal but it's not bad by any means, it's just not as clear as I'm used to seeing on this screen. Key is having the proper cable and PS3 output settings.

Only two games I have with me now are Gran Turismo 5 and Skyrim. GT5 resizes to have a border on the screen, Skyrim cuts off the edges a bit and looks just ok. Depends on the game output too I guess.

Last edited by Parkrats V.2 : 12-28-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM #7
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

can you adjust the screen widths in game? maybe that could help with it cutting off the edges at least.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM #8
Parkrats V.2

Skyrim no, and I've still yet to try others, but like I said Gran Turismo 5 resizes to about a half inch border on all 4 sides and the picture is great, so some games are programmed to adjust and I'm sure others are adjustable but I haven't done it yet.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM #9
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkrats V.2 View Post
Skyrim no, and I've still yet to try others, but like I said Gran Turismo 5 resizes to about a half inch border on all 4 sides and the picture is great, so some games are programmed to adjust and I'm sure others are adjustable but I haven't done it yet.
My gt 5 looms amazing on my 40" .

What is your favorite car I love the 787 b

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 PM #10
AzaTuR
¼ Skill ¾ My Shocker™

Annual Supporting Member
AzaTuR supports Cereal Killerz 2
AzaTuR helped look for balloons
AzaTuR supports Team VICIOUS
AzaTuR supports Bob Gurnsey
AzaTuR supports Sherwood Forest
AzaTuR is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AzaTuR supports Pev's Paintball
I use a 22 inch Viewsonic monitor for gaming... The same one MLG uses (or use to use?)

AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 AM #11
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Well if MLG uses it, it must be the best.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM #12
The Wizard
BossPlaya.345

The Wizard has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Wizard has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MLG uses BenQ.

"Originally posted by Menace: my dad works for nasa and has a laser detector that reflects the laser back at the cop and makes his gun explode."

"Originally posted by ClawHammer: STI's are handed down by god himself, NOTHING is faster then an STI."
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM #13
parkrats
I am a master trickster.

After adjusting some of the PS3 settings that it has for enhancing the HD image I was able to get a clearer picture on Skyrim. It's just tricky to get it just right when it doesn't want to work together.

My monitor still says 'Not Optimal Output' or some**** when I turn it on but when I press auto adjust another one comes up and then it goes away. Other than that it works pretty flawlessly, got my PS3 hooked up to my sub/2 channel speaker system now too via AV and it sounds great.

parkrats is offline   Reply With Quote