Hi everyone! dasein here making my 'official' announcement that I have decided to recreate this game that we all grew up with (or at least I did). V2.8/V2.9 was an awesome game that I used to play regularly when I first started playing paintball, and it saddens me that more people don't play it now.
There was one major complaint that everyone had, and that is that it was not playable on Mac's (and while I'm not an Apple fanboy myself, I appreciate the people who are). That on top of the overall lack of players made me want to undertake this project and I'm happy to announce that there'll be an EARLY ALPHA
coming out soon(tm).
- Cross-Compatability (PC/MAC)
- No downloads
- Same Awesome Gameplay
- Infrastructure to support a ton of additional features
- First and foremost, I'm a programmer not an artist. While this is good because it virtually ensures that the program will get done, I can't promise it'll necessarily be pretty (but this game never was right?)
- It has a crummy, unoriginal name. See above
- There will NOT be any name brand guns/gear/fields/teams etc - this is too future-proof myself (explanation below)
- You will likely have to be online, at least initially to play the game
Here's where I'm going to ramble unnecessarily and ya'll can probably just stop reading. New technologies are new and have their potential but also have their own learning curve. That being said I have built the game from the bottom up to be able to (relatively easily) do the following things
- Fully cross-platform (aka iOS/Android, iOS in the very near future)
- Multiplayer (say what?!?)
- Easily update/add new fields
- Others that I'm probably forgetting
This may sound like a lot, but for an experienced programmer it's actually relatively manageable. My problem is that I'm currently unemployed and have to spend the majority of my time/energy looking for a job which will probably delay this project a little bit. For the sake of transparency, and because I don't want to end up like Phil Fish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fez_(video_game)
) here are the current hurdles that I have (last list I promise)
- Living - job > this game as long as I need to pay the bills
- Hosting - I have a temporary solution, but when I release this game in the next month or 2 paying for a host may be an issue depending on popularity/traffic
- Commercial Licenses/sdk's - The commercial license thing won't be an issue until I finish multiplayer - but the engine I'm planning on porting to costs some money, so does the Apple dev program
I'll leave you all with a positive thought, my goal is to make this game 100% free-to-play. It started that way and it should stay that way. I'm open to ideas on how I can make dotPB self-sustaining, whether it be charging, or charging for the app only, donations, kickstarter etc. Encouragement to complete this project is what I need most right now. I hope to have a playable demo out to you all by mid-January with a Beta starting at the beginning of February. Here's a little hint at how it'll be multi-platform... Thanks everyone!