Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM #1
ranfx
(insert random avatar)

Imagine I time traveled from 2006. What happened in Paintball since then?

I was really into tourny speedball in high school, then I had to sell all my stuff to get ready for college. Plus paintball was obviously too expensive for a poor college kid. I went off to college, drank a lot of beer, and honestly forgot all about paintball. Fast forward almost 6 years, and I have a job and could probably afford whatever I want now. I would like to get some buddies together and form a team. But for science sake, what the hell has happened in the last 6 years? Imagine someone time traveled, that's what it feels like. I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but can some older ballers please fill me in a little?

-Smart Parts went out of business? WTF. For you young guys.... This is ridiculous. The last thing I knew, SP was very prominent. And everyone hated them because they were suing everyone. Dynasty switched from the Angel to using the Shocker, the release of the Ion was a HUGE deal, we thought it would be the beginning of our sport exploding, because newbs could get a decent marker for $300. How did SP manage to get out of business?

-Oh no... NOOOO. WPG went out too??? Can you even get an Autococker any more? That was my first legit marker Are these basically collecter's items now? I had a stock 03 Autococker. Nothing felt as good as shooting that thing. Timing was a pain in the ***... but oh so worth it.

-Wait, WAT?? WDP is gone and the Angel is no longer made??? What happened to the gun market? Has Dye and Eclipse just taken over?

-What are the popular guns/brands theses days? It's weird to see... Style-wise, what's going on? Everything just seems to look like nicer version of the shocker or an ego to me.

-Bob Long makes more models than the Intimadator and the the Intimadator pretty much just looks like the ego now? I had a Naughty Dawgs Timmy... That thing was badass.

-Xball? Is that still going on? I remember everyone thinking this was going to be the big break for paintball when it got on TV. Nppl? Are there any new leagues I should know about?

-Speaking of which, is paintball dying? I remember ballers everywhere thinking that paintball was about to explode in popularity, where in reality, it looks like its on a downhill slope.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=paintball

-Has it gotten any cheaper to play speedball? I always felt like paintball would always be limited was held back on account of the fact that paint has just been too damn expensive. I was sponsored by our local field and at least got a nice paint discount and free air. Back then a nice case of paint was $60. How about now?

-What's going on with hoppers? Whe I left everyone was pretty much using the Empire Reloader B. Dye makes one for $150? Leave it to Dye I guess.

-Masks? What's popular now. Looks like the flex is still around which makes me happy. I remember how proud I was of my custom white painted flex.

-Is PBNation still a prominent forum? I used to love this site and PBreview. That was where everyone got their knowledge back in the day. Any other big sites that have gotten popular? In general, where does everyone go to look up maintenance guides etc? Everyone pretty much bought and sold their gear here too.

-Paintball magazines? What's good these days. PB2X was my favorite back then.

-Finally, in general. Where is paintball now? What's trending? What's the general feel of the people that play it? What's the typical age of guys playing it at your field? Back in the day, it really felt like we were the next skateboarding story. What I mean is, we all really felt like we were part of this growing extreme sport, and any day it would be recognized as a legit sport. Maybe in the xgames or something.
ranfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM #2
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

The answers to all of your questions are here.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 AM #3
ranfx
(insert random avatar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
The answers to all of your questions are here.
Touché. Yes, I have the tools to look up these facts but I was hoping for more in the way of commentary.

Last edited by ranfx : 12-08-2012 at 10:31 AM.
ranfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM #4
VESIUS

VESIUS owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VESIUS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
VESIUS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
VESIUS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
So just looking over your post here's some answers.. The 3 most popular masks are probably the E-Flexs, i4's, and Grill.

Surprisingly Dye and PE hasn't taken over and if anything there's more brands now then there were back in '06.

Best hopper probably Rotor V3 or Spire.

All the PB forum sites have slowed down a bit, specially PBN, there's 2 specific forums out there that has a lot of posts still but I will not mention it.

WDP was good for it's time, but is truly bad.

SP went out because they were the biggest *******s in the industry, they tried to sue everyone and finally went under because of this. They are now DLX technologies and Gog Paintball.

Most popular guns are probably the G6R, Luxe 2.0, GEO 3, Ego 11, Clone GT, etc... The usual. I left the DMs out because they are all the same really since the '09 model.

Paintball isn't really dying but it's not growing the way the sport should. This is because of sandbaggers (People who own noobs and then think they are good, and people who stay in D5 when they really should be in D4 or D3.) and people who light up recball players for no reason, but a "quick" laugh.

Mag fed markers are becoming popular. The Dye Assault Matrix or DAM came out not to long ago. The marker seems promising and is getting good reviews.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2331854226.png EPIC INTERNETZ
VESIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM #5
lcullum

Annual Supporting Member
lcullum supports DLX Technology
-Finally, in general. Where is paintball now? What's trending? What's the general feel of the people that play it? What's the typical age of guys playing it at your field? Back in the day, it really felt like we were the next skateboarding story. What I mean is, we all really felt like we were part of this growing extreme sport, and any day it would be recognized as a legit sport. Maybe in the xgames or something.[/quote]

Paintball is increasing and comming out of its 08-09-10 slump for sure. HK ARMY has really taken off and that is the most trendy thing going for sure. people always have been negative towards fields though I have seen some slight differences on facebook and on here with the new "think positive" ways some people are going with. age at my field is about 18-24.

most people are preferring the PSP Xball style events over the Super 7. who this last year took a huge dive with sponsors and money I believe. they didn't even have a webcast until Vegas and went with th "LIVE Twitter updates!!" lol. .

Eclipse and Dye are running the markets primarily as far as high ends go with the exception of DLX and Bob long. But in 2010 the empire axe was reeeaally booming and was a pretty good gun for the money, and they are still running the low-mid range gun market.

loaders, the Rotor has dominated the markets for sure since 2009? although lately virtue released its own loader called the spire. and I am interested to see if that takes over or not.

mask is still the flex or the eflex for also. Flexes are like the only thing you see at events, practice ect..

the brand to wear (although not for me) is defiantly HKArmy every guy wears an HK headband these days. and now that dynasty is an HK team, and HK has out everything you need to play. I can honestly say it is going to be running the markets in paintball.

for a good case of paint. where i live 80$ for marbs or evil ect. but from my point of view i see people more not carring about paint quallity and shooting the 50$ paint so that they can afford to play.

I am pretty sure that there is no more paintball magazines any more.. It has turned into a youtube based sport with channels such as ******, SocialPaintball, Pbfashion.

I was thinking the other day that Piantball is going in the way of video games. Its taken to internet and people turn to their computers for it instead of their tv's, Call paintball "not a new sport" but The NHL is almost 100 years old. and it even still goes threw slumps and dives.

In my opinion paintball needs to make a huge shift in order to become a recognizable sport. it needs to change from a tournament style venue 6 times a year to an actual sport, my thoughts would be 20 ish man teams. 3 xball games consecutively like periods in a hockey game (can you tell i am canadian yet ). but that would take a lot of effort. assimilating al of the players as single units and taking d1 and d2 players into pro and making huge teams like that.

hope this helped I kind of rambled haha..

levi
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 AM #6
Omgsam

has been a member for 10 years
Omgsam has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Omgsam is attending Decay of Nations VI
I'm in the same boat as you. I returned to the sport after a 7year hiatus. One of the first things I did was searched the b/s/t and bought a sft shocker so I can continue paintballing exactly where I left off. Luckily I still had my flex-7 IZE which I think is a collectors item now. The only things I really upgraded were the jersey (for more padding) and hopper (I guess revvies don't cut it anymore).

At the field I play at, there appears to be a growing popularity in airsoft. And with that, I have also noticed more acceptance of milsim equipment. Back then, the entire movement was to separate military ties and paintball so as not to appear as a violent sport.

As for price$ of the sport, it definitely has gotten cheaper:
1. I can buy RPS premium at my local store for $45/case which back then was around $55-60. The top-end paint prices hasn't changed much as a case of marbs is still about $70-75
2. Compressed air tanks now have 5year hydros which can help alleviate the cost of retesting and replacing tanks. When I played back in '02, I believe the carbon fiber tanks had to be tested every 2 or 3 years.
3. Air price: Do players even use CO2 anymore? All I see now is compressed air, and its not even ran off of scuba tanks. My field uses compressors and pretty much its free air (players fill their own tanks whenever they want, 3k and 4.5k)

Coming back to paintball, I think it really has changed and become more streamlined. Although the markers vary in price, one can buy a high end marker and have to do minimal work/upgrades to have it performing well. In comparison, in the past, if one bought an angel, they would still drop a few hundred dollars more to have the gun operating in peak performance/efficiency. Now the majority of guns use autococker threads, and shoot exceptionally well out of the box. ( I do miss the customizability of the autococker and how literally every part can be changed with aftermarket including the set screws LOL)
Omgsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM #7
catterman
It does what its told!

catterman supports Team VICIOUS
catterman plays in the APPA D5 division
Yea, i started playing in 2000, played till 2009 and have been on a hiatus until a few weeks ago. LoL, felt that my chris lasoya timmy was out dated so i upgraded to a darq marq. Still got all of my stuff from 09 to use. My nephew got me back in to the sport. I felt like i myself jumped into a time machine. I had the EXACT same questions as you and my nephew spun me up to speed. Went to barns and nobles thursday night to pick up a couple pb mags, and saw that they didnt cary them anymore. Booooo
CAROLINA KEGGERS #13
catterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM #8
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfx View Post
I was really into tourny speedball in high school, then I had to sell all my stuff to get ready for college. Plus paintball was obviously too expensive for a poor college kid. I went off to college, drank a lot of beer, and honestly forgot all about paintball. Fast forward almost 6 years, and I have a job and could probably afford whatever I want now. I would like to get some buddies together and form a team. But for science sake, what the hell has happened in the last 6 years? Imagine someone time traveled, that's what it feels like. I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but can some older ballers please fill me in a little?
Let's see if I can fill in some of the blanks, and without a huge bias for or against companies.

Quote:
-Smart Parts went out of business? WTF. For you young guys.... This is ridiculous. The last thing I knew, SP was very prominent. And everyone hated them because they were suing everyone. Dynasty switched from the Angel to using the Shocker, the release of the Ion was a HUGE deal, we thought it would be the beginning of our sport exploding, because newbs could get a decent marker for $300. How did SP manage to get out of business?
SP made a move for a big expansion at a time when banks were collapsing. The story I heard was that they'd borrowed a large amount of money for new milling machines, and shortly thereafter, the bank they were working with kind of folded. Business loans were called due, and they couldn't refinance.

Quote:
-Oh no... NOOOO. WPG went out too??? Can you even get an Autococker any more? That was my first legit marker Are these basically collecter's items now? I had a stock 03 Autococker. Nothing felt as good as shooting that thing. Timing was a pain in the <del>***</del>... but oh so worth it.
WGP was absorbed into JT, which was then bought up by KEE (the old NPS). KEE is currently making the Empire Sniper pump, and that gun can be turned into a Cocker with the right parts.

Quote:
-Wait, WAT?? WDP is gone and the Angel is no longer made??? What happened to the gun market? Has Dye and Eclipse just taken over?
WDP's owners got out of the paintball market, closing up just after the Angel SB was released. Angels had been losing a lot of the player market in the wake of DYE and Eclipse making a big push, but along with those two came Empire with the Axe, Bob Long's guns, and MacDev.

Quote:
-What are the popular guns/brands theses days? It's weird to see... Style-wise, what's going on? Everything just seems to look like nicer version of the shocker or an ego to me.
Everything looks about the same because there's only a couple basic designs. There's spools (will look like Shockers), poppets (will look like Egos), and inline poppets (Marq/Victory and Axe, along with Etha). The big names that are popular are Eclipse, DYE, Empire, MacDev, and Bob Long. Bob doesn't do as much tournament sponsorship as the others.

Quote:
-Bob Long makes more models than the Intimadator and the the Intimadator pretty much just looks like the ego now? I had a Naughty Dawgs Timmy... That thing was badass.
The current Intimidator is the G6R, and there's a bunch of different millings of that. They also make the Marq Victory inline poppet, as well as the Marq Victory Pump (MVP).

Quote:
-Xball? Is that still going on? I remember everyone thinking this was going to be the big break for paintball when it got on TV. Nppl? Are there any new leagues I should know about?
X-Ball became PSP's Race To, changing from a timed game to timed with a points cap. There's been new regional series pop up, but nothing really on a national scale. Then again, UWL (Ultimate Woodsball League) has really been taking off lately.

Quote:
-Speaking of which, is paintball dying? I remember ballers everywhere thinking that paintball was about to explode in popularity, where in reality, it looks like its on a downhill slope.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=paintball
No expensive hobby is in as good shape as it was six years ago. I'm sure tournament play participation is down a touch, but woods/rec/scenario play hasn't wavered.

Quote:
-Has it gotten any cheaper to play speedball? I always felt like paintball would always be limited was held back on account of the fact that paint has just been too damn expensive. I was sponsored by our local field and at least got a nice paint discount and free air. Back then a nice case of paint was $60. How about now?
No, no cheaper. Sorry.

Quote:
-What's going on with hoppers? Whe I left everyone was pretty much using the Empire Reloader B. Dye makes one for $150? Leave it to Dye I guess.
DYE is making the Rotor, Empire makes the Prophecy Z2, Virtue makes the Spire. Those are the big names in tournament hoppers right now. They're all capable, they're all expensive. There's also a number of "lower performance" hoppers out there that are just as able to keep up with guns as the big names.

Quote:
-Masks? What's popular now. Looks like the flex is still around which makes me happy. I remember how proud I was of my custom white painted flex.
DYE I4, Empire EVent and EFlex, JT Flex, VForce Grill. In case you've missed it, the EFlex combines the lower mask of the Flex with the lens and frame of the Vents goggles. It's a Flex you can actually change the lens on.

Quote:
-Is PBNation still a prominent forum? I used to love this site and PBreview. That was where everyone got their knowledge back in the day. Any other big sites that have gotten popular? In general, where does everyone go to look up maintenance guides etc? Everyone pretty much bought and sold their gear here too.
I like to think we are still the prominent forum. We do a lot to add quality content here, along with entertainment value, and a very thriving marketplace. Our gun-specific sections have a lot of tech information, and many have manufacturer representatives as active participants. Also, our Reviews sections have manuals embedded in them. Are there other forums out there? Of course. Are there any with as much to offer as PBNation? If there are, I haven't found them. I may be biased on this one, though.

Quote:
-Paintball magazines? What's good these days. PB2X was my favorite back then.
Print paintball magazines are essentially gone. PB2X has an e-magazine called PB3X, and they put links in the News section when a new one goes up.

Quote:
-Finally, in general. Where is paintball now? What's trending? What's the general feel of the people that play it? What's the typical age of guys playing it at your field? Back in the day, it really felt like we were the next skateboarding story. What I mean is, we all really felt like we were part of this growing extreme sport, and any day it would be recognized as a legit sport. Maybe in the xgames or something.
Where I play, it's all about fun. I don't put myself into situations and fields where people are taking this all too seriously for my tastes. Those places exist, but for the most part, fields have figured out that those types chase away the long-term player and rental players alike. Lots of kids 13-18 out there, but a good number of us "old guys", too. The "extreme" environments that were being pushed for a while have kind of faded to a couple companies. They're still out there, but they're no longer the norm. We're still not ready for mainstream, but we're not being pushed to be an X-games type sport. That's not a bad thing... it's letting us grow our own real identity rather than having to be pushed into being part of some other format.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 AM #9
johnk99gm6
MASS HOLE

johnk99gm6 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
johnk99gm6 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Opinions More Than Anything

^^^PUMP SCOUT COULDN'T HAVE PUT IT BETTER!^^^

On an opinion scale, the market of the sport has grown alot in the past 6 years. I've been playing since '98. I was always an Angel/WDP fan and have had nearly every platform. I still have an LCD and the last of the Angels, the SB. I was sad to see WGP go, but as for Smart Parts, I could care less.

For the 3 top current gun makers, I would say #1 MACDEV, #2 DYE, #3 BOBLONG. PLANET ECLIPSE has never impressed me, whatsoever.

For hoppers, #1 DYE ROTOR, #2 VIRTUE SPIRE, #3 EMPIRE PROPHECY Z2.

For tanks, hands down, NINJA is the best. They have several different syles of regs, all of which seem to be durable, tight/short and light. The tanks range in size from 50CI-90CI.

For padding/apparel, accessories and comfort, my choice would be SLY. They are a newer company, produced under the Valken distributor. Valken is another new company. They also make some quality, mid level paint, such as graffiti and redemption.

For masks, my top choice is still the FLEX. Its fully customizable, with many different strap, frame and bottom options. You can also mod a few diff types of ears to fit. Such as dye i3, empire events, etc. My next choice would be VFORCE GRILLZ. They are comfortable, nicely contoured to the head, and cheaper than the i4s. The E-FLEX is a nice alternative to the FLEX, but is all the more pricey. I personally do not like the frames, but would gladly take the bottoms off an E-FLEX to put on one of my flexes.

PB MAGAZINES are pretty dead. PBNATION is prob the best bet for PB forums.

These are all my opinion, take what you want from them. Hopefully this helps you in some way shape or form.
johnk99gm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM #10
tacticalpaint40
Tacticalpaint40

tacticalpaint40 is a Supporting Member
Wow yea in the same predicament trying to get back into it after be gone for at least these past 5 years
tacticalpaint40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM #11
zefreak3
Still Likes Paintball

Great information in this thread, been gone for about 7-8 years now and so much has changed.. I have a Bushmaster 2k4, anyone know if those are in demand at all?
zefreak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM #12
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Not in the slightest, unfortunately.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 AM #13
nickdoggz

Talking reminiscing!

I LOVE THIS THREAD!
cuz i played in 03-06
and came out of it, then tried to pick it back up in January of 2012 so i felt exactly the same!
(well i wasn't COMPLETELY out of the loop cuz i kept up with the latest gear on shop websites)

but ya this was fun to read cuz back then Halo B's and Vlocity's were killing off the revvy's and became the king of hoppers. and now its the rotor, Z2, and Spire.
my dream gun was the E-blade WGP orracle and now i'm running around with a macdev. something i didn't even know of back in 03-06

But for those of you coming out of the time machine. WELCOME BACK!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM #14
p8ntballer101
YETI

i feel you bro. it will rebound. its just going to take some pioneers to do so.
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG GO PRO W/ INCEPTION DESIGNS MOUNT(onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM #15
Backman25

Backman25 is a Supporting Member
Backman25 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wow, I feel old. Needed this though, gonna get back at it in the spring. I think my biggest shock was when i found out a kid i used to play with in a friends backyard is now a pro.
Dude they wouldn't stop shooting!!!"
My Feedback (Old Style)
My Feedback (New Style)
Backman25 is offline   Reply With Quote