Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM #1
Word?
Bring back 10man

Word? is a Supporting Member
potential marker design/solidworks

Hello there,

Like many before me, I think I have a potential marker design on my hands. In my head, it makes sense but because I don't (currently) own a milling machine. I can't make/test anything. But, from what I've learned here and on other online communities CAD programs could help me. I know that I can essentially export CAD designs to half million dollar machines but what I don't know is if a program like solidworks can help me actually design a marker?

Can it simulate air pressure? Or is it a program that makes very accurate 3D designs?

LOLWUT
Word? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM #2
nerve2030

Yes it can help but it cant do it for you. Here is what I mean I made a balanced valve for my old school impulse. at first I just took a guess for the oring sizes but before I actually took the prints to the shop I was able to run a simulation to check the actual mechanical bias of the valve under pressure. using this information I was able to make some quick adjustments to my design and then went out to the shop and made the valve and it worked great. I might of made quite a few scrap ones first if I did not simulate it first. I used this same technique to design a high flow low pressure valve so a spyder project. I also use it to check clearances in assemblies before they get built and I have never had one not work. I have had some designs not work as well as I thought but they always assemble. That is what a program like solidworks can do for you.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM #3
hallr12

Annual Supporting Member
hallr12 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
hallr12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hallr12 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hallr12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hallr12 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hallr12 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
hallr12 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerve2030 View Post
Yes it can help but it cant do it for you. Here is what I mean I made a balanced valve for my old school impulse. at first I just took a guess for the oring sizes but before I actually took the prints to the shop I was able to run a simulation to check the actual mechanical bias of the valve under pressure. using this information I was able to make some quick adjustments to my design and then went out to the shop and made the valve and it worked great. I might of made quite a few scrap ones first if I did not simulate it first. I used this same technique to design a high flow low pressure valve so a spyder project. I also use it to check clearances in assemblies before they get built and I have never had one not work. I have had some designs not work as well as I thought but they always assemble. That is what a program like solidworks can do for you.
good to know I was looking into solidworks as well
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM #4
Word?
Bring back 10man

Word? is a Supporting Member
Interesting.

I was expecting an answer like "it only does flow animation" or something. Cool though, I may be able to pick up the student version soon. Are there any resources I can use to learn the program faster?

LOLWUT
Word? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM #5
plastic

Tutorials within Solidworks itself are a good place to start.
plastic is offline   Reply With Quote