Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM #1
Frogger4thga

night vision mask

i used an eyeclops 2.0 cut down alot to reduce the weight to the front of the mask.
it still needs a little fine tuning to complete it.
i need to add a cover so that the light from the screen dosnt make my head glow, and atatch the new battrie pack to the mask.
well whatcha think

Last edited by Frogger4thga : 10-14-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Frogger4thga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I would like to know how well it works in the field. The first hurdle I had was not knowing the optics. You have to put it on the OUTSIDE of a paintball mask and most are held much closer than that. I simply feared I would not be able to use it after I bought it because of the eye relief needed to use it with a paintball mask.

Plan B was the Rifle Night Vision that HAD the eye relief simply due to the recoil of the rifle required it. But BIG Bucks for those.

Plan C was to mount a night vision camera and mount a display inside the mask with a boot over it.

I've played against ONE night vision player equipped with it and he would not share HOW well it worked. I did manage to kill him once during the night game. He should move once in a while or LOOK around behind him at least.

They military style and monoculars use an eyepiece with a rubber boot to solve the 'glow in the dark' issues of the video screen illuminating your face. I would suggest you might consider an eyepiece between your eye and mask glued onto the inside of the lense. Then another boot or shield on the outside of the mask lens to the display screen. You know some soot black all around your eye and face and black magic marker on the inside of you mask plastic would reduce thatshine a LOT.

I'd like to hear a field report with sone details. ddupont@charter.net

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 10-11-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM #3
aerosaaber

aerosaaber supports our troops
You could take another lens or make a blank from one as a pattern to make a "shield" that would flip down with the night vision. You're not going to see out of your mask when night vision is on and you don't want to have your face illuminated so a cover would easily take care of those two things.
I play woodsball/scenario but I don't hate on speedballers.
aerosaaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM #4
JESTERTLS

Frogger that looks pretty good. I like the helmet and mask anyway.

Boom, I had the cheapest first gen you could get, Coleman, and the eye relief was fine with a mask on. The closer the lense sits to your eye the better but it still does okay. I use to use my 1st gen (prior to misplacing it) with my Flex 8 and it did fairly well.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM #5
Frogger4thga

eye relife shouldnt be a porblem
what your looking at is a 3-4in screen so its not like looking into a scope.
i wanted to locate the screen inside my mask at first but that would have required colplete disasembly of the mask to take it in and out.

there are 3 fastners that hold the nvg to the mount and 2 that hold the mount to the helmet
Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 PM #6
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I googled "video Glasses" Got a bunch of 3D stuff but they have single and double video displays that look like they MIGHT fit inside a paintball mask.

The plug into DVD players, computers and in my case a Very LOW LUX Black and white Camera for night vision...

Still, out of my budget...

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 AM #7
Frogger4thga

well its working not and im adding an update.

i still need to make the shroud to cover excess light.

my first sugestion to somone else doing it would be make it longer. as it sits not your looking at a screen about 4-5in from your eyes, i got use to it quickly my wife couldnt stand it and said she would gat a headeake from eyestrain.

that can be adjusted by adding some distance.

i purchased a 4xAA battry holder, it still worked even though it normaly runs off of 5AA. i made a quick connect wireing and i plan to keep the battry in granade pack on my vest.

the optics and ability to see works pretty good.

you do have to get use to having no porifical vision. im told all night vision is that way even the gen 4.

the mount is sturdy during a jog but picture gets some what fuzzy, still good just alittle off.

i wouldnt sugest a full sprint using them, atleast not with out alot of practice, you lose some depth perception.

all in all i think i spent about $80 and i would rate it about 7/10
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM #8
HatchetmanDan

Awesome write up, I'm looking into this myself and needed anothers view of how well the eyeclops do the job.
HatchetmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM #9
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Looks pretty good! So what you have there is a lense unit and the screen unit? Why not sink the lense unit further down and set the screen on top of that? Your POV is near your nose/mouth so it's not that difficult to adjust, and the screen is further out away from your face.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM #10
Wico90

Wico90 is playing at Living Legends VII
Wico90 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Wico90 plays in the APPA D5 division
just mount the camera on the side of the mask, and mount a small screen closer to your eyes
Wico90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM #11
Pyrotech_Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wico90 View Post
just mount the camera on the side of the mask, and mount a small screen closer to your eyes
I was thinking that at first also. But wouldn't it mess with your eye/hand/feet coordination?

Also, Is the screen in both eyes or just one? Can you pivot the screen out of the way? If so, what type of hinge system did you use.
Pyrotech_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM #12
Pyrotech_Warrior

heh, didn't see the date of the post. so by this point i'm assuming you have figured out the issue. Would you mind posting some pics of the finished product so others can use some ideas for their masks.
Pyrotech_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote