Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM #1
KingSky
Moving Target

KingSky has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
KingSky has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Question Bullpup TPX PDW Project

I like bullpup. And I like mag fed markers. I've successfully made a functional bullpup mag fed mechanical ion before, and now i've decided it's time for another project along the same lines. But i'm going to make it a little easier on myself and start with a marker that already takes magazines: the TPX. Small, easy mechanics and simple design. Already setup for commercially available magazines and fairly easy manufacture high cap (13 round) magazines. Takes C02 or HPA. and the plastic shell just megs to be adjusted with a dremel tool. It's the perfect fit.

So my goal is to have a TPX in bullpup layout, with a 16" having a total length under 24". I haven't decided on where the air source will be, but i'll probably just leave it with a remote line coming out of the butt stock. I'm playing with the idea of having a linkage arm to allow release of the mag with the trigger finger for faster mag change, but I dunno how that's gonna go.

My basic idea thrown together in sketchup:

The front is two G36c forestocks magically scrunched together, with a modified g36c rail up top. The orange is the TPX, and the pink are the parts that are undecided and would need to be custom fabricated or something. The pistol grip is an old style a-5 frame on a piece of aluminum u stock, which I have successfully used in my previous project and wold be the backbone of the system.

As i'm posting this it occurs to me that the g36c shrouds look a little small, so my scale on those might off a bit, but figuring out how it'll fit together will be fun!

The ACOG is just for scale, my current acog is a 1,000 miles away and never had the best eye relief through my mask, probably just end up being a red dot of some sort.

Okay, so I'm just in the planning stages right now, but i'm pretty set on trying it. I'm going to be ordering parts on the 11th or 12th, and my current project price looks like:
TPX- $220 for a new model, maybe less if I find one on PBN
G36 parts- 42 shipped
ACR stock- 30 shipped
a-5 frame- 35 or so unless I get back to Montana sooner rather than later or find one on pbn.
16" TPX barrell-30-40
So total for starter, $350 or so. could be less if someone has a TPX they can let go for a little cheaper.

Anyone have detailed dimensions on g36c airsoft foregrips? I know the dimensions of the a-5 grip and TPX are correct. So, anyone find this interesting? Any TPX mod advice? I'll try and update this as I start and progress through the project.

Last edited by KingSky : 12-26-2012 at 12:03 AM.
KingSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 AM #2
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
Looks really good. I bet an AFG2 would look great on the front rail.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 AM #3
KingSky
Moving Target

Thanks! I Bet it would, I might have to pick one up.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 AM #4
Jack73hRipper
Team Omen

Jack73hRipper supports Team VICIOUS
Jack73hRipper has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jack73hRipper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Jack73hRipper supports DLX Technology
this is awesome I look forward to seeing progress
Jack73hRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM #5
KingSky
Moving Target

Parts will be ordered tomorrow, but I have been playing around with the 3d sketches some more to get an idea of what I might need for parts for the aesthetics.

What do you think?
The woman is for a sense of scale.
The little red knob on all of the models is the 12 gram knob with a lever arm attached so that the system could still use 12 grams if I want. Lighter and easier than a remote or tank adapter, and already built into the marker! I'm actually starting to like the TPX!

Last edited by KingSky : 12-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.
KingSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM #6
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

I like the top one on the right. Looks like an even tighter P90.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM #7
ARSpeed

ARSpeed supports Team VICIOUS
ARSpeed has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
^^^This :-)
ARSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM #8
KingSky
Moving Target

Unfortunately I had a bit of a dental problem yesterday and have to hold off on ordering the actual TPX, so i'll order the trigger frame and g36 parts, but need to make sure I've got everything squared away before jumping off on this project.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 PM #9
XSVFAN890
Back from the dead!

XSVFAN890 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbr Chickin View Post
Looks really good. I bet an AFG2 would look great on the front rail.
An AFG would be so awkward on that. They really feel terrible unless you use them the correct way. Then they are just amazing.

Last edited by XSVFAN890 : Tomorrow at 12:67 PM.
XSVFAN890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM #10
shanahan17

awesome idea i have a design much like yours based off an a5 i like the fact that your building around a tpx and not gutting an airsoft gun and fitting a paintball gun inside of it google magpul prd or fmj for some good design ideas
shanahan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM #11
shanahan17

i also forgot to mention that there is a video on you tube of a home maid extended mag for the tpx it was a pretty rough draft but mite be something to look in too
keep the updates coming love the innovation of your idea
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 AM #12
KingSky
Moving Target

AFG: Never tried one, but I've seen them around for 15-20, so when this project goes anywhere, I think I might try it anyways!

Shanahan: I think I've seen it out there while i was doing research. made of aluminum with a plastic barrel shroud? I would welcome a photo!

I love the Magpul PDR. Awesome design! I've seen it before, and if they made an air soft version, I would buy it just to gut it. Not so much a fan of the FMG though. But still cool! Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, when it rains it pours. Meaning that my life has suddenly gone to hell financially, and i'm holding off on spending anything unless it's vital right now. And sadly, this isn't vital. So this project won't be taking off for at least another month. Sorry if you were interested. Maybe I posted too soon.

But I'd love to see anyone else try something like this! I've seen a bullpup t9 out there, so I know there are other bull pup enthusiasts out there!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM #13
shanahan17

i will definitely get some pics up soon at least i have to get an a5 and a rap 4 ak 47 long rail first i plan on building the body of the pdr out of 22g steel and using the rap4 rail as a mounting point tryed this project before with out the rail using the push pins as a mounting point- it was an epic fail lol
Old 12-18-2012, 03:39 AM #14
kostis11

kostis11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kostis11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kostis11 is attending Decay of Nations VII
kostis11 supports DLX Technology
waiting for picts!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:44 PM #15
KingSky
Moving Target

Update!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season, I certainly am!
As a christmas present to myself I purchased a TPX and am pending on a sale to get the G36 parts!

This project is about to really get started!
Also, been playing around with my sketches, and my scale was a little off, so here is my updated more to scale sketch:

The white being the G36 parts. and the yellow being some sort of shroud to cover the tpx as a cheek rest. I would put the shroud on the cqb or the carbine model, I just wanted to show on model without it.

I only ordered parts for the Carbine model (top) but i'm going to try and build it in such a way that a g36c shroud could be switched on without modification to allow for a more compact model, or a longer shroud for a more rifle look. The carbine model assumes a 16" barrel, and the CQB is a 14". Both are very compact though.

I personally like the carbine look more, what do you think?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:30 PM #16
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Why a 16" barrel?
That may be excessive. I'd say buy that last as you can get away with something like a 10" or 12" and just get a tip for it.

CP Tactical would be prime for that.

as far as bullpup bodies and ideas for detailing is concerned, maybe something here can help: http://world.guns.ru/smg-e.html

Had the domain saved forever, figured why not.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM #17
KingSky
Moving Target

A 16" on the carbine because a 10" barrel would effectively be recessed in the stock 7". The longest tip I've seen is maybe 3". So I might do a 14" with a 3" tip, but that also drive my costs up more, which right now I'm just trying to keep down. the cheapest CP tactical I can find with a quick search is 55 plus 20 for the tip I would use. Or I can grab a 16" for 25. So for now, a 16" is what I'll use.

Furthermore, will a CP tactical fit in a tpx? I read somewhere that the Rap4 a-5/x-7 barrels do not because they are too wide to fit through the shroud. Every photo I can see of a CP tactical shows a rather larger bulge down by the threads that would almost certainly not fit through the shroud.

I do love that website, such a great resource.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:25 PM #18
AaronIngold

Looks killer man! Good lick on the project!
AaronIngold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 PM #19
SKO_GONZO
S.K.O.

SKO_GONZO owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SKO_GONZO has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SKO_GONZO has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
That project really looks like it has a lot of potential, really hope to see an update picture soon!

Thanks to our sponsors: | Valken | SM Tactical | FOXHOLE Paintball store and field | M.N. P.I.R.O.D. | Quantico Tactical
SKO_GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 PM #20
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSky View Post
A 16" on the carbine because a 10" barrel would effectively be recessed in the stock 7". The longest tip I've seen is maybe 3". So I might do a 14" with a 3" tip, but that also drive my costs up more, which right now I'm just trying to keep down. the cheapest CP tactical I can find with a quick search is 55 plus 20 for the tip I would use. Or I can grab a 16" for 25. So for now, a 16" is what I'll use.

Furthermore, will a CP tactical fit in a tpx? I read somewhere that the Rap4 a-5/x-7 barrels do not because they are too wide to fit through the shroud. Every photo I can see of a CP tactical shows a rather larger bulge down by the threads that would almost certainly not fit through the shroud.

I do love that website, such a great resource.

Thanks for your thoughts!
The aluminum shroud piece will only accept up to a 7/8" outer diameter barrel, like the stock A5 barrel and JJ ceramic barrels. If the CP barrels bulge is too much, you could just carefully file it down so that it fits. Or, optionally, just remove the aluminum barrel shroud from inside the TPX.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM #21
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Heres a 16" JJ in my TPX. It fit fine with a little electrical tape to remove wiggle, as seen in the second pic.

And yes, I used my pistol with that barrel when I ran it as my primary.