Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 AM #589
Subucni
GOON
 
Subucni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one

Out of curiosity, what's the difference? What about a football game is so much more emotional than seeing a friend die?

Inept leaders are everywhere.... And the military has more than its fair share.

I haven't read the book... But a buddy read the after action (military report) on it, and the lack of planning/prep for that mission they were on when it happened.... I've seen people fired for being less ****ed up.
What most people don't realize is that in order for people to win bronze stars and medals of honor.... The situation needs to be ****ed up in order to need crazy heroic actions (most of the time). It starts with training, then mission prep, then patrol actions, etc...

Kind of like a football game. You can't be a hero and lead a crazy comeback unless your team ****ed up the first three quarters.
Well if you read it, be prepared. The scene where he gets killed is so sad because it was so obvious (in the book) that they were shooting that their own soldiers. He seemed like a great guy. But yea the situation in which he was killed was most certainly ****ed up.
__________________
Dat PMF

Auburn Tigers
New Orleans Saints
New York Yankees
Subucni is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 AM #590
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es
 
BenderBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Burrrlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by casultytosociety View Post
i figured it had to be pretty late in the fight and round. there's no way you move like that unless you're not all there.
At that point, Pac was moving in the for kill. Like I said, you gotta watch the replay.
__________________
"Originally posted by Kellster: You always own me, breh. :("

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM #591
casultytosociety
BlacMac
 
casultytosociety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
At that point, Pac was moving in the for kill. Like I said, you gotta watch the replay.
finals :/
__________________
LOKO
FOR THEM
LOKOS
casultytosociety is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 AM #592
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es
 
BenderBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Burrrlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by casultytosociety View Post
finals :/
Dont worry, I forgot it was tonight until obese joseph texted me to see if I was watching it.

Finals are ****ing my **** up.
__________________
"Originally posted by Kellster: You always own me, breh. :("

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 AM #593
Subucni
GOON
 
Subucni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auburn
Saw the KO of manny. Wowzaaaa he got leveled. Don't know enough about boxing to comment on anything else but DAMN. He got floored.
__________________
Dat PMF

Auburn Tigers
New Orleans Saints
New York Yankees
Subucni is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 AM #594
Fat_Joe
$OG$
 
Fat_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MASSachusetts
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
It was so much fap. I'm literally still jittery and shaking because that was so awesome.
__________________
Beast Mode: Activated
big as I wanna be
HHAP Founder
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 AM #595
the other one
World Peace
 
the other one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Yes.
 has been a member for 10 years
the other one supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subucni View Post
Well if you read it, be prepared. The scene where he gets killed is so sad because it was so obvious (in the book) that they were shooting that their own soldiers. He seemed like a great guy. But yea the situation in which he was killed was most certainly ****ed up.
In "band of brothers", there's a scene where a boot scared soldier shoots one of the officers. In "generation kill", there's also a friendly fire scene. Hell, when I would come back from my escapades, I had to call on the radio before the posts could see me, telling them that I was coming.... So they wouldn't shoot me walking back on to base. I've had friendly weapons trained on me, and it's not a fun feeling.... And it *should* be obvious that I'm an American, but people that are nervous and inexperienced are ****ing dangerous.

It's the same with cops at protests, when certain cops go crazy and start beating people or spraying them, even when there's no threat.... Those cops are inexperienced, nervous, and dangerous to everyone.





Oh, and the UFC fight tonight was pretty decent, too.... At one point during the title fight, both dudes had leg locks on each other at the same time. Then later, one dude was doing the splits, still trading blows. ****ing nuts.
__________________
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I blog.
the other one is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:50 AM #596
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
kfresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: *863*FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the difference? What about a football game is so much more emotional than seeing a friend die?.
I'm not saying it's more emotional, i'm saying the way we think about things and deal with things is different between playing a game and being in a physical confrontation/combat.

I know people freeze up and fold under pressure in combat, but just because someone reacts by crying about a football game loss doesn't mean they are going to have the same reaction when in military combat. It's two completely different mindsets.
__________________
just a slow n/a mustang
fastest 1/8 mile 6.10s @ 113mph 330ft 3.92s 60ft 1.36s
Snowbird Outlaw Nationals Winner 2012
kfresh is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 AM #597
Subucni
GOON
 
Subucni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one

In "band of brothers", there's a scene where a boot scared soldier shoots one of the officers. In "generation kill", there's also a friendly fire scene. Hell, when I would come back from my escapades, I had to call on the radio before the posts could see me, telling them that I was coming.... So they wouldn't shoot me walking back on to base. I've had friendly weapons trained on me, and it's not a fun feeling.... And it *should* be obvious that I'm an American, but people that are nervous and inexperienced are ****ing dangerous.

It's the same with cops at protests, when certain cops go crazy and start beating people or spraying them, even when there's no threat.... Those cops are inexperienced, nervous, and dangerous to everyone.

Oh, and the UFC fight tonight was pretty decent, too.... At one point during the title fight, both dudes had leg locks on each other at the same time. Then later, one dude was doing the splits, still trading blows. ****ing nuts.
Yea it's amazing how people can be trained to deal in certain combat situations and the when faced with real life situations, completely meltdown/**** it up.
__________________
Dat PMF

Auburn Tigers
New Orleans Saints
New York Yankees
Subucni is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 AM #598
Fat_Joe
$OG$
 
Fat_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MASSachusetts
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Sports =/= combat.


Period. No matter how many cliches we draw upon to relate them.
__________________
Beast Mode: Activated
big as I wanna be
HHAP Founder
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 AM #599
SmartyJones
Best in the World
 
SmartyJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
Being a butthurt ***** over a football game for the rest of your LIFE is not close to being a good thing, and nothing related to it is good.
I disagree. I think having that kind of passion about a sport and a team is a tremendous thing. I don't get emotional about it now or anything, but the '05 USC game is something I will always remember. The same can be said for any fan who is close to his team and recalls a great memory or a devastating loss. When you carry those losses with you the wins feel that much better.

I guess the one thing I still haven't gotten over is the Music City Screwjob, and that's only because they made a bad call. Of course any fan whose team has played Pittsburgh in January the last decade probably has similar memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
I have plenty of personal experience with it. Maybe not football, but baseball and basketball. CFB isnt the end all be all of sports.....which is what some people would have us think. This goes back to the arguments you and I have had.....I know what passion is, I'm a Red Sox fan, I know what it feels like to live and die with a team, I've done that with the Broncos my entire life, I know what its like to have my hero come up short in the final moments of the season, as do you, with Davey.


saying 1 sport is worth more than others is wrong. I know you know you better, because I know you personally, and you're my nig. But lets not go down this road again. CFB is cool, we can all dig it. But getting medieval on people who dont see it through the same light as you do doesnt make them ***** ******s (all though I'll agree, most of them are)....it just gives us a different perspective. Which most sports fans (not just football) desperately need.
I get what both of you are driving at, and you're both kind of right. There are groups of fans for every sport that display fanaticism and carry their teams with their hearts. But with college football the passion is so widespread and the following is so expansive that it dwarfs other sports in comparison. Yankees/Red Sox is huge, but the vast majority of fans in this rivalry aren't like you or I. They don't feel the loss the next year or even the next week. They get crazy when the teams are good but when they're bad they go to Giants and Pats games. It's not like that with college games though. People will come see teams like LSU and Alabama when they're playing cupcakes. Notre Dame has maintained a 200+ game sellout streak even while fielding a terrible team for a few of those years, and a mediocre team for most of those years. I think the reason for this is that the college teams are just so much more ingrained in the culture of their communities than pro teams. Take this example. A Louisiana kid grows up and commits to Alabama, and a lot of his friends and people from his community create an uproar. But if a Dallas kid grows up, goes to UT, and then plays for the Giants, nobody gives a ****. The only thing I've seen that even comes close to the mass amounts of emotion and hysteria created by college football rivalries is soccer rivalries in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mouse View Post
If Manziel hadn't of won, the Heisman would have lost all credibility.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
Everytime they clapped the board for 10 seconds left, these dudes went HAM throwing hay makers. PacMan got knocked down early in the fight, but that hit Marquez landed was ridiculous. What a ****ing fight, this **** made my ginny tingle.
I wonder if people will still try to argue that he could beat Mayweather.
__________________
Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, New York Yankees, Detroit Pistons, Notre Dame
University Of Notre Dame Class of 2010
ZENYATTA - Thanks for all the memories!
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
SmartyJones is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM #600
the other one
World Peace
 
the other one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Yes.
 has been a member for 10 years
the other one supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfresh View Post
I'm not saying it's more emotional, i'm saying the way we think about things and deal with things is different between playing a game and being in a physical confrontation/combat.

I know people freeze up and fold under pressure in combat, but just because someone reacts by crying about a football game loss doesn't mean they are going to have the same reaction when in military combat. It's two completely different mindsets.
Not for me.... Stress is stress, except getting shot at is a total mind**** of stress. Any sense of mental weakness you have only gets magnified in combat, unless you've got ridiculous training to fall back on. I've seen the fog of war totally eclipse normally level-headed dudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subucni View Post
Yea it's amazing how people can be trained to deal in certain combat situations and the when faced with real life situations, completely meltdown/**** it up.
Ummm.... I know of exactly zero combat vets who have meltdowns in normal life.... The only stuff they have to deal with is anger. Not saying you're wrong, but my sample size is pretty hefty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Joe View Post
Sports =/= combat.


Period. No matter how many cliches we draw upon to relate them.
They are extremely different, but there's certainly parallels..... i.e. teamwork and physical exhaustion.




End state of this post: [shrug]. I still wouldn't trust that guy in a firefight. Yeah, it's just my opinion, and I may be completely wrong about him, because my opinion about this is based solely on my own experiences and studies. I recognize my scope is very small, so my dealings may not even be the norm.
__________________
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I blog.

Last edited by the other one : 12-09-2012 at 05:24 AM.
the other one is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM #601
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire
 
madgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Homewood, IL
madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
I disagree. I think having that kind of passion about a sport and a team is a tremendous thing. I don't get emotional about it now or anything, but the '05 USC game is something I will always remember. The same can be said for any fan who is close to his team and recalls a great memory or a devastating loss. When you carry those losses with you the wins feel that much better.

I guess the one thing I still haven't gotten over is the Music City Screwjob, and that's only because they made a bad call. Of course any fan whose team has played Pittsburgh in January the last decade probably has similar memories.

I get what both of you are driving at, and you're both kind of right. There are groups of fans for every sport that display fanaticism and carry their teams with their hearts. But with college football the passion is so widespread and the following is so expansive that it dwarfs other sports in comparison. Yankees/Red Sox is huge, but the vast majority of fans in this rivalry aren't like you or I. They don't feel the loss the next year or even the next week. They get crazy when the teams are good but when they're bad they go to Giants and Pats games. It's not like that with college games though. People will come see teams like LSU and Alabama when they're playing cupcakes. Notre Dame has maintained a 200+ game sellout streak even while fielding a terrible team for a few of those years, and a mediocre team for most of those years. I think the reason for this is that the college teams are just so much more ingrained in the culture of their communities than pro teams. Take this example. A Louisiana kid grows up and commits to Alabama, and a lot of his friends and people from his community create an uproar. But if a Dallas kid grows up, goes to UT, and then plays for the Giants, nobody gives a ****. The only thing I've seen that even comes close to the mass amounts of emotion and hysteria created by college football rivalries is soccer rivalries in Europe.

.

I wonder if people will still try to argue that he could beat Mayweather.

Don't be an idiot. 3-4yrs ago when that fight would have been relevant, he very well could have. Unfortunately, mayweather ducked him for so long that neither guy is in their prime any more.
__________________
Honey Badger University Professor of Women Studies, Dean of Student Affairs
madgoat is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM #602
tater_salad (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 352
Mayweather would tool Pacquiao.
tater_salad is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 AM #603
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire
 
madgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Homewood, IL
madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
the fight would be **** now.
__________________
Honey Badger University Professor of Women Studies, Dean of Student Affairs
madgoat is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM #604
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***
 
imhungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: OH - IO
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by casultytosociety View Post
i figured it had to be pretty late in the fight and round. there's no way you move like that unless you're not all there.
Pac was winning the fight and he was going for a kill shot. he got sloppy and opened himself up and thats what happened. the last 2 rounds he was looking to knock marquez out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater_salad View Post
Mayweather would tool Pacquiao.
fight is pointless and would be a **** dick fight anyway. everyone is so sick of their bull**** and i think more people would honestly rather see a pac v. marquez 5 at this point

Last edited by imhungry : 12-09-2012 at 11:09 AM.
imhungry is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM #605
tater_salad (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 352
tater_salad is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM #606
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire
 
madgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Homewood, IL
madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
so what happened top gruden?
__________________
Honey Badger University Professor of Women Studies, Dean of Student Affairs
madgoat is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM #607
SHOOT3R USA
LIFT. RUN. SHOOT.
 
SHOOT3R USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Appalachia
SHOOT3R USA is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
My mom just texted me that my so cousin who lives with my grandma next door (he's like 30, lol) just raised a 5x8 battle flag, a POW flag, and a Gadsen flag
__________________
I like to stay positive and get **** done.
You don't have to like it,
you just have to do it.

"IF YOU want to be the ULTIMATE predator you're gonna have to RAMP IT UP cause this is a RACE that NEVER ENDS"
-Cameron Hanes
SHOOT3R USA is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM #608
tater_salad (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
so what happened top gruden?
That is Jon Gruden in a Butch Jones mask.
tater_salad is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM #609
giants57
 
 
giants57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morgantown, WV/ Philly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT3R USA View Post
My mom just texted me that my so cousin who lives with my grandma next door (he's like 30, lol) just raised a 5x8 battle flag, a POW flag, and a Gadsen flag
What is his productive mission in life?
__________________
WVU MOUNTAINEERS
NY GIANTS
PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR


"Originally posted by Ly$ol: Sometimes I feel bad when I lead a ***** on, but hey it's a numbers game."
giants57 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump