DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
Ramping dramatically cuts down on ROF/mode rule violations. If you use capped ramping, it doesn't matter if you're using full auto - you're still shooting the same ROF as everyone else. As a referee, I don't need to be checking ROF over the chrono all the time. All I have to do is listen for a gun that sounds faster than the rest. Good luck doing that on an NPPL field.

As a side note, the NPPL represents the old school style of playing. Semi auto, no coaching, 7-man, etc. In case you haven't noticed, that league has already died once and the players have spoken. That format is dead. It's bad for television and outclassed by xball. Trying to force it on a league that succeeds (PSP) is not good for the industry. There were more teams playing 5-man at PSP World Cup than there were in all divisions combined at the first NPPL event this season.
huge dot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscpaintballa View Post
IMO ramping should be kept at the tournament level. It is easier to regulate, and u can't set ur gun up in a way that will really give u an edge... The place where ramping shouldn't be allowed is against rec ballers. Having new people come out to play paintball and get shot 4 or 5 times in one point does not make them want to come back... If people played walkons in semi that would eliminate 2-3 of those balls out of that stream. It really pisses me off to see people playing woodsball on uncapped ramping! New players especially kids get really intimidated to hear guns going at 15-20 bps when their tippmann shoots 5-6.

I agree with the stipulation that if the group is fine playing with ramping it can be done, but in strictly open play, I think it's best to stick to semi auto and even to cap our guns lower.

Just my .02
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM #23
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
i vote bring back nxl mode also, just use a mechanical gun for open play, leave the electros setup for tourneys and go old school cool for open play and work on your gun fighting against mr. g.i. joe shooting an uncapped tippmann.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 AM #24
pbragesauce198

pbragesauce198 is an NCPA player
pbragesauce198 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:CreightonLaw:. View Post
Proposition:
Ramping is a detriment to tournament play because it allows a player to maintain BPS while reloading and adjust there bunker position. The detriment is hampered movement and a slower game. The benefit of allowing ramping, to even the playing field from trigger bounce mod-cheating, does not outweigh the detriment of a slow and boring play style.

Solution:
Ban ramping. Monitor via RFID as BPS is for the NPPL.

My Take:
This is a real solution to the slow game play and the great fear of cheating and unfair competition once ramping is banned. IMO the speed of the game has slowed down significantly since the early 2k's and I think a great way to bring the speed back would be to removing the crutch of ramping. If you can clock 12 bps for five minutes straight without, good for you, have at it. The reality is that it is damn near impossible especially when a back player has to reload or adjust their angles. As for the RFID, I think the conspiracy theorists have toned down there rhetoric regarding having their shots monitored.

Well, let me know what you think.
Totally agree man. If players could no longer lay down streams while they were reloading, it would allow for breaks in lanes and i think it would result in a lot more movement on the field. Yea people will argue that the nppl proved that semi is dead but 7 men makes the game very different. I don't think semi has been given a fair chance in tourney yet. Even if the pros don't adopt it, I think getting rid of ramping in lower-level tourneys and in public fields would really breathe new life into the sport.
pbragesauce198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 AM #25
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbragesauce198 View Post
Totally agree man. If players could no longer lay down streams while they were reloading, it would allow for breaks in lanes and i think it would result in a lot more movement on the field. Yea people will argue that the nppl proved that semi is dead but 7 men makes the game very different. I don't think semi has been given a fair chance in tourney yet. Even if the pros don't adopt it, I think getting rid of ramping in lower-level tourneys and in public fields would really breathe new life into the sport.
I was playing the PSP format through the various ROF rules, from 15.4bps to 13.3bps to 10.5bps to 12.5bps. I can tell you that when the rate of fire was limited to 10.5bps, effectively simulating semi auto (if not a lower rate of fire), the flow of the game sucked. 12.5bps ramping represents a balance between firepower, movement, and cost. If you're fast, you can probably get through a lane. If you're good at laning, you can probably get a kill off the break. If you're paying the bills, it isn't as bad as the astronomical paint bills from the days of 15bps and it isn't as bad as paying for the longer points of 10.5bps because nobody got laned and everybody shot their whole packs in 5 alive games.

For what it's worth, semi auto was the definition of tournament paintball until the early 2000's when ramping and force fed hoppers came out. It was given a more than fair chance in tournament paintball. I completely agree that ramping should not be allowed in rec play or entry level tournaments. However, it should be permitted at the national level and especially in higher divisions. It's no different than racing with increased power as you ascend the ranks, or hockey with more physical contact as you leave the beginner divisions.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM #26
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
I would love for you to tell me how fast and movement-oriented the NPPL is. Seriously, I'll wait.
PWNED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
if you dont like ramping, play woodsball. i dont see ramping being taken out of speedball anytime, ever. if you cant cut it, or dont wanna get shot, dont play

Last edited by SNAKESNIPER : 12-01-2012 at 11:43 AM.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM #27
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAlice
In New Zealand, we can't have any firearms that can use some sort of automatic firing mode ie ramping and full auto.

So all our tournaments at my local field are all semi auto

Personally being brand new too speedball I like it that way as I'm not going be hiding behind my bunker all game with one guy firing a case of paint at me with the help of ramping, if he wants to try that he'll have to have the trigger and reloading skills to keep the lane on me.
What markers do they use? Most if not all have those capabilities?

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM #28
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
I would love for you to tell me how fast and movement-oriented the NPPL is. Seriously, I'll wait.
^this is absolute ****ing gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
Can someone chime in with the rof rules from real xball back in the day? Was it 15bps or unlimited? Checking out those old vids on YouTube, those guns where blazing people down.

Those points where also much faster than average for now.

Originally XBall was 15.4 BPS. There is still atleast 1 league in the US still running legit xball: The USPA website. In the upper division in 2011 there were as many as 30 points scored in 40min of play (if you do the math, it comes out to about 1:20 per point) so that there is proof that higher ROF makes for faster points.
In the Novice Division of USPA last year there were as many as 20pts scored in 30min of play(at 12.5bps)
we may or may not have had better layouts though as well...
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"

Last edited by Team_ILLNatured : 12-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM #29
Icon0clast