PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM #1
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Christmas or Holiday Reading List

What books (and other nerdy intellectual things) will you be treating yourself to this year for the holiday season? I got a couple books in mind, but I'm also using this thread to fish for a couple more.

List:
Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers
Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings
Keynes Hayek: The Clash that Defined Modern Economics
Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution
A mid ranged book on logic (not sure which yet)

Kinda all over the map this year. What about you?!?!
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM #2
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
For the Love of Physics by Walter Lewin is a really good book. The science isn't too heavy and it's mostly his autobiography with explanations of the physics that captivates him.

Any of the Six Easy/Not so Easy Pieces books by Feynman are great for an intuitive approach to physics without getting equation happy.

A little more advanced books that you'll need wikipedia to churn through.

Particle or Wave: The Evolution of the Concept of Matter in Modern Physics (History of Science Physics) by Charis Anastopoulos covers a lot of quantum mechanics and how the ideas were formulated. Lots of history and famous physics you don't see discussed outside of the major.

Dr. Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills by Paul J. Nahin is an exploration of Euler's really handy formula that's invaluable to engineers, physicists and applied mathematicians as you use it so damn much. He has plenty of other books that are great and it's a very conversational book, though it can get pretty math heavy.

My reading list for my long flight is going to be Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus by H. M. Schey just to round out my vector calculus education.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM #3
Iamamartianchurch

I'll probably be reading the labels of empty bottles of whiskey from the floor of my home this Christmas.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM #4
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'll probably be reading the labels of empty bottles of whiskey from the floor of my home this Christmas.
lol
Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM #5
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Can I join?

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM #6
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Can I join?
You can sleep on my couch if you promise to sit at the piano and play mood music according to what's happening at any particular moment in the house.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM #7
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Me + piano = no bueno

Gimme a guitar and I'll make your house sing

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM #8
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Me + piano = no bueno

Gimme a guitar and I'll make your house sing
Deal.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM #9
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I just realized I made this thread last year...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hlight=holiday