Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM #1
johnidi
Johny D.
 
johnidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RVA
stock class Phantom first strike ideas

Any one have any ideas on a first strike open class feed tube for a stock class phantom or any other markers? I can't see why the regular spring fed feed tube wouldn't work. Not really a big fan of clip fed pumps so any ideas out there?
johnidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM #2
EvilAuthorityX
PUMPER_TYLER
 
EvilAuthorityX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Beach CA
EvilAuthorityX is attending Decay of Nations VI
how is a horizontal spring going to push a stack of bullet shaped rounds into the breech correctly?
__________________
PS131
98 STO sniper

EvilAuthorityX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM #3
johnidi
Johny D.
 
johnidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAuthorityX View Post
how is a horizontal spring going to push a stack of bullet shaped rounds into the breech correctly?
If the breech is big enough or the right shape, shouldnt't gravity take care of it? Or add to the pump stroke an arm
That pushed a round down to the breech. I wished I could do CAD this is out it makes sense in my head lol
__________________
Fast Like Molasses

Last edited by johnidi : 12-04-2012 at 06:50 PM.
johnidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM #4
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT
 
The Inflicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chattanooga, TN
When I shoot first strikes I almost always use my VSC Phantom, but I have made no modifications.

When playing this way I run the gun as usual, full of standard paintballs, but I keep a tube or two of FS rounds for shots that require them. When the need arises, all I do is unscrew the barrel and thumb a round into the back. Then, I turn the marker upside-down, so that a normal paintball doesn't load, and pump the gun. The marker is ready to fire the FS round, and afterwards can be immediately re-cocked to resume shooting normal paintballs. At $0.40 a pop, I'd hate to waste FS rounds on targets at distances that do not require them.

FS rounds are about .687 in size, so the stock barrel is ideal.
The only trick to running the gun this way is finding normal paintballs that will be the same size, so that you don't have problems with rollouts or velocity jumps. I've had good luck with Valken Crusade and Redemption; paint that matches the FS rounds in diameter will also shoot the same velocity, I've found.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT
 
The Inflicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Oh, and you might want to check this out: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...e-phantom.html
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 PM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
One issue with phantoms (which I believe the above linked to gun had issues with) is the breech drop design. The area the ball, or in this case round, enters is larger in size than the barrel. So you have the push the round up over the lip. Not too big a deal with a round ball, but the bullet shaped FS round with a fairly fragile skirt could have some issues.

And remember, the skirts on FS rounds are hollow, so if you tried to put them in a normal spring feed they'd nest together.

I did fab up a rough prototype of a horizontal First Strike spring feed. Ran out of scrap material at work so I could never finish working out the bugs...


Of course this layout would have to go forward from the feed.
__________________
David Johnson, AKA Fubarius.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM #7
johnidi
Johny D.
 
johnidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Oh, and you might want to check this out: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...e-phantom.html
Yeah I've seen that one in my endeavor to find what I was looking for. The only problem I have with that one is that I wanted to keep the sleek stock class look and feel.
__________________
Fast Like Molasses
johnidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM #8
johnidi
Johny D.
 
johnidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
One issue with phantoms (which I believe the above linked to gun had issues with) is the breech drop design. The area the ball, or in this case round, enters is larger in size than the barrel. So you have the push the round up over the lip. Not too big a deal with a round ball, but the bullet shaped FS round with a fairly fragile skirt could have some issues.

And remember, the skirts on FS rounds are hollow, so if you tried to put them in a normal spring feed they'd nest together.

I did fab up a rough prototype of a horizontal First Strike spring feed. Ran out of scrap material at work so I could never finish working out the bugs...


Of course this layout would have to go forward from the feed.
This looks grest , what bugs are you having with it? Why couldn't you flip the rounds so the feed sits towards the back?
__________________
Fast Like Molasses
johnidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM #9
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT
 
The Inflicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnidi View Post
This looks grest , what bugs are you having with it? Why couldn't you flip the rounds so the feed sits towards the back?
I would imagine that this because having the magazine curve away from the barrel would require that the flat, hollow fin side of the FS rounds be asked to be on the inside of the curve, which would almost certainly cause them to bind.


upload pic

...unless perhaps the gun was set up to fire the First Strikes backwards. I've actually heard that this works surprisingly well, as the aerodynamics of the FS rounds actually right them after a few feet of flight, but I doubt it would be optimal.

Unless you're pursuing the project for the sake of having something custom, you might be better off looking into the Kingman Hammer-7 for your First Strike pump needs.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM #10
johnidi
Johny D.
 
johnidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I would imagine that this because having the magazine curve away from the barrel would require that the flat, hollow fin side of the FS rounds be asked to be on the inside of the curve, which would almost certainly cause them to bind.


upload pic

...unless perhaps the gun was set up to fire the First Strikes backwards. I've actually heard that this works surprisingly well, as the aerodynamics of the FS rounds actually right them after a few feet of flight, but I doubt it would be optimal.

Unless you're pursuing the project for the sake of having something custom, you might be better off looking into the Kingman Hammer-7 for your First Strike pump needs.
Kingmann hammer-7 or if money grew on trees the dye dam lol
__________________
Fast Like Molasses
johnidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM #11
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I would imagine that this because having the magazine curve away from the barrel would require that the flat, hollow fin side of the FS rounds be asked to be on the inside of the curve, which would almost certainly cause them to bind.
Bingo. The rounds follow a curve quite nicely as long as the curve goes towards the tips, trying to go the other way tends to crack the skirts.

And the big issue I ran into with my prototype was a rather silly one. The spring kept shooting out of the reloading port. A reshaping of the port or making some kind of spring guide would have probably fixed it, but I ran out of materials.
__________________
David Johnson, AKA Fubarius.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump