Community Focus

Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM #106
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
I didn't catch were you said it but did you buy the marker new or used? Asking because I have heard of some very extreme ways people have sought to clean their barrels which could lead to the blemishes you've mentioned.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM #107
robotboy

robotboy is playing at Living Legends VII
robotboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robotboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robotboy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i got an etha its nice
robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 PM #108
Bosch
BST lurker

Bosch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bosch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Axe. you can up to a Lurker or boss and it will really be good with air...parts are cheap, and when you are ready to play tournaments you can get a redline foregrip with OLED board. I have an ad up in BST for my axe pro, that I have not bumped in a while and every now and then I still get offers for Geo's Ego's and Bob Longs. It's not that those are worse guns its that people know if you want to get back to basics with a gun that shoots well without the price tag, the axe is at the top of that list. plus with the mystery Empire gun coming out, Axes will be cheaper even.
Bosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM #109
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P
Here is what I choose after 13 years out...

http://www.pbnation.com/reviews/prod...7/empire_mini/

I'd also look at a used axe. Come look in the electric markers B/S/T section. A mini is about $200 or less used.
People say it over and over again USED Empire Mini easy to find under $300 or Empire Axe a little harder to find under $300 but possible.
Solid markers out of the box. Plenty of upgrades, too.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM #110
AviatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by van457 View Post
Take the barrel to the kitchen sink and use hot water and hand dish soap,It may be just discoloration.I wouldn't imagine p.e. would put a crap barrel(quality control) on their markers although it may be a huge bore for the paint you may run into.
Are we talking about something like Dawn grease cutting dish soap? Or something more like regular liquid hand soap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
I didn't catch were you said it but did you buy the marker new or used? Asking because I have heard of some very extreme ways people have sought to clean their barrels which could lead to the blemishes you've mentioned.
Bought brand new in the store and have as of yet never fired it even once. I'll have to see if I can manage a picture if washing it doesn't work.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 AM #111
AviatorMan

Still trying to figure out how to take a picture of it, but there is definitely quite a few small imperfections in the polished surface of the interior of the barrel. They seem to be cut into the barrel rather than sticking out of the surface, so its almost as if some sand was pressed into the polished surface and cut away at it a little. It may also just be some imperfections in the metal itself, but I'm not sure if they are going to harm the performance of the barrel or not.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 AM #112
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Here's a thought: instead of sitting on the internet flipping out about a 'blemish', GO PLAY PAINTBALL. You'll find out quickly if it's a problem or not.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 AM #113
AviatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Here's a thought: instead of sitting on the internet flipping out about a 'blemish', GO PLAY PAINTBALL. You'll find out quickly if it's a problem or not.
I am going on Sunday... but until then, I just get to stew about whether or not there really is a problem. Plus, if you drop a few hundred dollars down, and a few hundred more than you'd originally intended to spend, you'd do well to analyze every last detail to make sure you didn't buy a lemon...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 AM #114
van457

It could just be machine oil etc. from factory. Any kind of hand dishwashing soap that cuts grease/oil. If it is a factory defect you should be able to exchange barrel at store you bought gun at free of charge right?
van457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM #115
tippmannrocker90
Git-R-Done!

tippmannrocker90 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tippmannrocker90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
^ This is the best way to deal with upgrading too. Go shoot the gun all day an see if you want a new barrel, you might find that you like the stock one and then can spend that money elsewhere. As for DYE barrels, I've owned two ultralights and swear by them (although I currently shoot and Evil Pipe). Nothing sucks more then to buy something you think you need only to realize that you didn't actually need it (or maybe I'm just a cheap gradstudent...)

Tri State Mafia
Slaying many in the name of the smoking skull
Proudly sponsored by COUSINS PAINTBALL
Like Us on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TSMPaintball
tippmannrocker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM #116
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Hey, nobody "needs" anything in this industry... we could all still be shooting NelSpots.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 PM #117
AviatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by van457 View Post
It could just be machine oil etc. from factory. Any kind of hand dishwashing soap that cuts grease/oil. If it is a factory defect you should be able to exchange barrel at store you bought gun at free of charge right?
I'll give it another try with the dish soap, but after the first try, it really didn't look like anything that was going to come off. They are also only visible at certain angles, but that could just be because they are small and surrounded by a mirrored surface. The gun has a one year warranty and the shop told me a 30 day return policy, but I'm not sure if that applies to the barrel and possible defects or if that's one of those things that isn't covered like a cracked cell phone screen. I'm still not discounting the possibility that its just imperfections in the metal of a stock barrel and I might be expecting too much from it, after all, its not an Ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmannrocker90 View Post
^ This is the best way to deal with upgrading too. Go shoot the gun all day an see if you want a new barrel, you might find that you like the stock one and then can spend that money elsewhere. As for DYE barrels, I've owned two ultralights and swear by them (although I currently shoot and Evil Pipe). Nothing sucks more then to buy something you think you need only to realize that you didn't actually need it (or maybe I'm just a cheap gradstudent...)
I agree, my only concern is that if I go shoot 2000 rounds through it, I may lose the arguing point that its messed up and I've never even used it. I think tomorrow I'm going to go back to the store, point out what I think is wrong and shoot it with them there to see if there is an issue. That way if they think its defective, whether just by looking at it, or by looking at performance, we can replace it on the spot.

As for upgrades, I'm sure that I'll eventually do it since I know I'm not going to be able to help but pick apart every last defect in the gun. It's why I build my own computers and why it takes me months to buy something like a car. I know that playing is going to be the only way to really tell just what needs to be upgraded, but I have a pretty good idea of the first few things already, as I've laid out in previous posts. Things like the hush bolt for quieter, more efficient shots, probably a new barrel so I can squeeze all the accuracy and consistency out of the gun that's possible, an electric hopper so I can use the gun to its fullest potential if I ever find myself backed into a corner and needing to put out a wall of paint in front of me, and a bigger air tank so I can play for longer without needing to refill. Once I get used to the gun, I'll also probably start thinking about a new trigger, new rammer, and tweaking the crap out of the shot cycle. Of course, if I actually do all of that, it will be over the course of the next 5 years or so and depending on cost / how much I play, it may just make sense to save for some new high end gun in the next couple of years.

Then again, I may never spend another penny on upgrades for another 15 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
Hey, nobody "needs" anything in this industry... we could all still be shooting NelSpots.
I'd pay good money to watch that hyperball game..
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM #118
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Didn't mean to get you worked up over the barrel.

You can play with the stock one I just thought you should know its something to consider when upgrading. Especially when its the only thing worth upgrading.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM #119
AviatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYhillbilly View Post
Didn't mean to get you worked up over the barrel.

You can play with the stock one I just thought you should know its something to consider when upgrading. Especially when its the only thing worth upgrading.
I actually got myself worked up over the barrel... I saw at first what I thought was just some dust / dirt inside so I got a new fuzzy squeegee and went to clean it and it didn't go away. I've washed it twice now and even used the squeegee in the soapy water in case it was some stuck-on oil and nothing came off, so its definitely some divots / scratches into the metal. They are not big, and not protruding at all, so they may have no effect on the final shot, but I still want to be sure that's the case for the money I've spent. If they don't affect the accuracy, I honestly won't care that they are there, but if my brand new $500 gun starts out shooting paint that spins off wildly because there is a damaged barrel, I'm going to have a big problem with that.

Of course all of this is still very much in the what-if realm because I still haven't had a real chance to shoot the damn thing.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM #120
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
I actually got myself worked up over the barrel... I saw at first what I thought was just some dust / dirt inside so I got a new fuzzy squeegee and went to clean it and it didn't go away. I've washed it twice now and even used the squeegee in the soapy water in case it was some stuck-on oil and nothing came off, so its definitely some divots / scratches into the metal. They are not big, and not protruding at all, so they may have no effect on the final shot, but I still want to be sure that's the case for the money I've spent. If they don't affect the accuracy, I honestly won't care that they are there, but if my brand new $500 gun starts out shooting paint that spins off wildly because there is a damaged barrel, I'm going to have a big problem with that.

Of course all of this is still very much in the what-if realm because I still haven't had a real chance to shoot the damn thing.
Is it in the back or barrel front? like I said before you can get a new back for $40 for that etek3 stock barrel.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM #121
AviatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYhillbilly View Post
Is it in the back or barrel front? like I said before you can get a new back for $40 for that etek3 stock barrel.
Its the barrel back. If its a defective barrel, I'm just going to get them to replace it, but if its just the result of Planet Eclipse QC, there is about a .0001% chance that I'll buy one of their other barrels. To be fair though, the barrel is 99.99% polished, and the defects are at most 0.5mm in diameter, so again, this may be just me looking for defects because I'm still a little sticker shocked, but if something is an issue, no matter how small, its still an issue. Still need to go to the store and run a few shots through it to see what effect, if any, the defects have.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM #122
Bellamy803

Bellamy803 supports DLX Technology
no offense but this is def being over analyzed. I ran a 14" UL barrel this passed sunday on a mini I just purchased. After getting to the field I realized the inside of the barrel was sticky in some parts from previous busted paint. It looked pretty bad. But for what its worth it shot near perfect the whole day. The effect the barrel has on a paintball is quite a bit different the a barrel on a bullet. Go out shoot the gun and try to have a good time without worrying about the gun. I used to be the same way but I realized soon after your decisions on the field are far more important then the gun you are shooting
Bellamy803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM #123
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I've had barrels shoot great all day, then noticed they were nasty inside at the end of the day.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM #124
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamy803 View Post
this is def being over analyzed.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM #125
enemy master

buy a bob long marq for 300 with up's. the internals are the same if your marq has a supercharged engine and that is the new platform that the marq victories use. they shoot great in hot and cold weather and are low maintenance.
enemy master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM #126
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy master View Post
bob long
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy master View Post
low maintenance.