Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM #64
quakcer
 
 
quakcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
This thread is not about medical conditions that you most likely have.
quakcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM #65
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
lol, the funny is back again.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM #66
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
As a teacher of 'Aspies,' I resent you trying to paint this guy as one...


try this one instead ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anus
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM #67
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty
 
Tafari Makonnen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Addis Ababa
Blake is one of those sad stupid people that is unaware of how stupid he is, and actually believes his is more intelligent than others.
__________________
Magen VeLo Yera'e

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM #68
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakcer View Post
I didn't say it was, I gave an example that shows the difference between big and small government. Reading comprehension comes in handy, you may want to familiarize yourself with it.
The context of this thread is Left and Right philosophy, and lo and behold, so was ElJefe's post, which I quoted. I dont want to hear about how Democrats and Republicans utilize government. And I certainly do not need vague words like freedom, control and intervention being thrown around. Especially when freedom, in an absolute sense, is more of a Left thing.

I suggest you lurk for a few years until you are a little older and wiser.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM #69
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la
 
dub CRISP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Please explain to me the meaning of big and small government.
I think what he means is that on the right people prefer (in theory):
low taxes
minimal regulations
minimal government control of anything
basically the people are free to do what they want but they have to fend for them selves and there is no safety net.
private sector should control everything
laissez faire

and on the left people prefer:
higher taxes
more regulations
social safety net
public sector (government) can do some things better than the private sector and should. (market failures etc)
__________________

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM #70
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
The American left doesn't want to admit that they are sisters with what passes for the American right. Overton's window has shifted things to much.
I'll agree with this. I would also like to know just how the hell matters of economics get thrown into categories of left and right. When did this happen? I mean, I understand how income equality and Marxism is easily appealing to the progressive left. Yet, redistribution of wealth dates as far back as hunter gather societies, so a sort of communal pool of funds (food in the case of H&G) may also be considered fairly traditional.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM #71
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
I think what he means is that on the right people prefer (in theory):
low taxes
minimal regulations
minimal government control of anything
basically the people are free to do what they want but they have to fend for them selves and there is no safety net.
private sector should control everything
laissez faire

and on the left people prefer:
higher taxes
more regulations
social safety net
public sector (government) can do some things better than the private sector and should. (market failures etc)
If a Right wing government wished to undertake ecological conservation, this would intrinsically require government intervention to some degree. I've never heard of a single right wing society ever believing that the individual may do as he wishes. Where is this idea coming from?

I'm not going to touch on your economic related stuff for reasons I stated above.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM #72
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary
 
benji25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities
benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
I think what he means is that on the right people prefer (in theory):
low taxes
minimal regulations
minimal government control of anything
basically the people are free to do what they want but they have to fend for them selves and there is no safety net.
private sector should control everything
laissez faire

and on the left people prefer:
higher taxes
more regulations
social safety net
public sector (government) can do some things better than the private sector and should. (market failures etc)
This is the way I envision it, give or take.

And I wouldn't say the right prefers lower taxes, more that they prefer lower spending which would mean lower taxes. It isn't like they are saying we want a ton of stuff AND lower taxes. But that is essentially what you get at with the minimal spending and laissez faire.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM #73
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la
 
dub CRISP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
If a Right wing government wished to undertake ecological conservation, this would intrinsically require government intervention to some degree. I've never heard of a single right wing society ever believing that the individual may do as he wishes. Where is this idea coming from?

I'm not going to touch on your economic related stuff for reasons I stated above.
Let me clarify, when I say free I mean that the government doesn't tell you what you can and can't do, if you want to pollute, you can. If you want to own guns, you can. Obviously the laws still apply and it's not anarchy.
__________________

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM #74
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la
 
dub CRISP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'll agree with this. I would also like to know just how the hell matters of economics get thrown into categories of left and right. When did this happen? I mean, I understand how income equality and Marxism is easily appealing to the progressive left. Yet, redistribution of wealth dates as far back as hunter gather societies, so a sort of communal pool of funds (food in the case of H&G) may also be considered fairly traditional.
economics has it's left and right too.
extreme left is communism, extreme right is totally laissez faire capitalism
__________________

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM #75
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
ITT: Differing notions of what left and right mean leads to differing conclusions. It's all semantics at this point.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM #76
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
Let me clarify, when I say free I mean that the government doesn't tell you what you can and can't do, if you want to pollute, you can. If you want to own guns, you can. Obviously the laws still apply and it's not anarchy.
That doesn't sound very right wing, given the fact that Tradition is a large part of Right Wing philosophy. Did you read the OP?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 AM #77
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
ITT: Differing notions of what left and right mean leads to differing conclusions. It's all semantics at this point.
It is only this way because the participants are not sufficiently informed. I tried to provide a framework in the original post so that we can work without the need to tread over vast amounts of history. I don't think anyone is reading it. Aside from the few who understand and remain silent and those who debated what I wrote.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM #78
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la
 
dub CRISP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
That doesn't sound very right wing, given the fact that Tradition is a large part of Right Wing philosophy. Did you read the OP?
yeah and I'm feeling free to dispute. That's my interpretation of right wing. Are Authority, Hierarchy, Rank and Nationalism the only aspects of the right wing?
__________________

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM #79
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
It is only this way because the participants are not sufficiently informed. I tried to provide a framework in the original post so that we can work without the need to tread over vast amounts of history. I don't think anyone is reading it. Aside from the few who understand and remain silent and those who debated what I wrote.
That's the fate of this forum, unfortunately.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM #80
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
economics has it's left and right too.
extreme left is communism, extreme right is totally laissez faire capitalism
No it isn't. Wilhelm I and Bismarck each pursued socialist style economics in a wholly Right Wing or conservative government. Pre-dating Marx. As stated in the post you quoted, Hunter gatherer societies also practiced a form of socialism.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM #81
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
yeah and I'm feeling free to dispute. That's my interpretation of right wing. Are Authority, Hierarchy, Rank and Nationalism the only aspects of the right wing?
No, but they paint the most concise picture of the right wing. Especially as it differs from the left wing.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM #82
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la
 
dub CRISP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Well looking at left and right on a two dimensional scale is inherently flawed because of what you just mentioned. Economic right and left don't really have anything to do with social or political right and left. You can be politically left and economically right or vice versa. They have also evolved over time. I was giving current examples of the views of people who identify as "right" and "left" rather than the traditional meanings.

You're trying to get at the original meanings of "right" and "left" no?
__________________

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM #83
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub CRISP View Post
economics has it's left and right too.
extreme left is communism, extreme right is totally laissez faire capitalism
laissez faire capitalism is liberal. You've got to stick your head outside the window.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM #84
dub CRISP
tra la la la la la
 
dub CRISP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
wut?
__________________

weanegro: its like a really tiny person eating a regular size gummy worm

HOW.THE.WORLS.SHOULD.WORK
"Originally posted by komodo-117: our beloved pharmacudical companies"
dub CRISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump