Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 PM #1
PM7_user
My life for Aiur!

PM7_user owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PM7_user posts videos on PbNation
PM7_user plays in the APPA beginner division
PM7_user has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Tips for Making an 09 Ego Quieter

Hey guys, I recently bought an 09 Ego and it is the loudest gun I've ever heard. Any tips on making it quieter? It doesn't have the Hush bolt but I'm planning on getting one for it pretty soon. Any OTHER tips though guys?

If you are a Christian Paintballer put this in your sig

LeTourneau University
PM7_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM #2
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Empire
You should hear the older Egos they are even louder, at least my 06 Dark is. Honestly a good ported barrel with good paint to bore match will help with sound and at the same time increase accuracy. I've never used a hush bolt myself, but they're supposed to lower the sound signature a few decibels, so you might look into that. Honestly it doesn't really bother me that much that my Dark is louder then others as long as it still shoots ha.
smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM #3
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Haha well based on your username, if you used a Pm7 in the past, yes this gun will sound like the loudest. It's just a characteristic of the Ego line, especially the 09. Like said above try a more ported barrel with a better paint to bore match. I always shoot Dye UL or carbon fiber broomsticks on my guns and I noticed its slightly quieter.
Also using the Hush bolt and I love it.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM #4
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
a hush or kush bolt isnt going to make the gun any quieter, i dont care what anyone says.... there are proven tests using a decibel meter and it does nothing.

What they DO do is:
Makes the gun a little more efficient (going from a stock bolt to a kush and not changing any settings, the gun will shoot about 10fps faster... so you can then turn down your HPR and save on air)
Less breech wear
Softer on paint
Changes the sound signature slightly
SLIGHTLY less kick.

Theres not much you can do to make your ego any quieter... If you took the time to fine tune the marker like lowering the dwell and buying a new bolt that allows you to turn down the HPR, then maybe you could get less of a "pop" sound... but we are talking about slight differences.

My only recommendation is to buy a Kush bolt and go out and play.

Last edited by peacob : 12-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM #5
PM7_user
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenguyen View Post
Haha well based on your username, if you used a Pm7 in the past, yes this gun will sound like the loudest. It's just a characteristic of the Ego line, especially the 09. Like said above try a more ported barrel with a better paint to bore match. I always shoot Dye UL or carbon fiber broomsticks on my guns and I noticed its slightly quieter.
Also using the Hush bolt and I love it.
Yeah, I know that the PM/DM line are one of the quietest so it may just be that I need to adjust. The last time I played, however, 3 different refs checked my velocity mid-game because they said it "Sounded hot". I may try the UL barrel (and the Hush bolt) though because I've been looking into new barrels anyway. Thanks.

LeTourneau University
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM #6
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
a hush or kush bolt isnt going to make the gun any quieter, i dont care what anyone says.... there are proven tests using a decibel meter and it does nothing.

What they DO do is:
Makes the gun a little more efficient (going from a stock bolt to a kush and not changing any settings, the gun will shoot about 10fps faster... so you can then turn down your HPR and save on air)
Less breech wear
Softer on paint
Changes the sound signature slightly
SLIGHTLY less kick.

Theres not much you can do to make your ego any quieter... If you took the time to fine tune the marker like lowering the dwell and buying a new bolt that allows you to turn down the HPR, then maybe you could get less of a "pop" sound... but we are talking about slight differences.

My only recommendation is to buy a Kush bolt and go out and play.
Damn, why so mad lol. I'd like to see videos of said proven tests if you know of any. I've done my own testing and it showed slight decibel changes.

When we say 'quiets' the marker we're not saying it becomes a quiet air gun or anything. The bolt reduced the signature "crack" sound of Ego's. It's not a huge night and day difference but there's a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM7_user View Post
Yeah, I know that the PM/DM line are one of the quietest so it may just be that I need to adjust. The last time I played, however, 3 different refs checked my velocity mid-game because they said it "Sounded hot". I may try the UL barrel (and the Hush bolt) though because I've been looking into new barrels anyway. Thanks.
Well a reason your gun could sound so loud or "hot" is you were shooting small paint through the stock .693 barrel. Try a smaller bore barrel, and if you have some extra money the Hush bolt.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM #7
PM7_user
My life for Aiur!

Quote:
Well a reason your gun could sound so loud or "hot" is you were shooting small paint through the stock .693 barrel. Try a smaller bore barrel, and if you have some extra money the Hush bolt.
That's true. I may try that because like I said, I've been looking into barrels.

LeTourneau University
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM #8
peacob

Quote:
Damn, why so mad lol. I'd like to see videos of said proven tests if you know of any. I've done my own testing and it showed slight decibel changes.

When we say 'quiets' the marker we're not saying it becomes a quiet air gun or anything. The bolt reduced the signature "crack" sound of Ego's. It's not a huge night and day difference but there's a difference.

No one here is mad.

And here you go bud.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/e...g-results.html

As you can see, the decibels were inconsistent and his best chosen combination was only a ~3 decibel difference from a stock cure... which isnt even noticeable to the ear.

I've said it many times before. The only thing that makes a noticeable difference is underboring.

Last edited by peacob : 12-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 PM #9
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Empire
Quote:

Ya it's a minimal difference in sound signature, but still noticeable to others.

This. I thought my 06 Dark sounded like a freaking Howitzer when I first got it with the stock .693 two piece barrel, but once I got more bore sizes it quieted it down a noticeable difference. One thing I've always loved about my Dark is how smooth it is! I have a video in my Warped Collection thread in sig and it barely has any barrel rise. When I get some more air I'll make a good video to show it and I want to do another efficiency test since I found out my SL3 reg was leaking through the purge hole. Sorry to hijack the thread.
smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM #10
Team Live Wire 911
*««FireFighter»»*

has been a member for 10 years
Team Live Wire 911 plays in the PSP
Team Live Wire 911 plays in the APPA D4 division
Team Live Wire 911 supports Empire
Personally from sitting at tech booths and also teching guns for.almost 12 years. The Hush bolt aids in excessive breach wear. I personally like the pooty mod bolts. The Ego 9 is naturally loud. Smaller bore barrels help the.loudness as stated.before truthfully the egos are just loud guns unless its a ego11/ego "S" with a dart kit and small.bore barrel your.ego will be a loud regardless of what you do. Keep it clean keep new batterys and the gun will shoot like a champ every time out

Also the inconsistent DB reading done on the Mcarder was due to it being a poppit valve marker and the inconsistent air released when the ram hits the cup seal. This also creates a fps jump as well usually between 5-10fps jumps.when properly under bored. With stock 693 barrels i have.seen 5-15+fps jumps

Last edited by Team Live Wire 911 : 12-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Team Live Wire 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM #11
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
No one here is mad.

And here you go bud.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/e...g-results.html

As you can see, the decibels were inconsistent and his best chosen combination was only a ~3 decibel difference from a stock cure... which isnt even noticeable to the ear.

I've said it many times before. The only thing that makes a noticeable difference is underboring.
I used the term "mad" very loosely lol. Very well, proved your point there. My point is no one should expect a huge night and day difference. You reduce the crack noise i.e. it doesn't "sound" as loud. The biggest sound difference for me, was like you said, using an underbore of a .684 CF Boomy.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM #12
joker12187
Axis

joker12187 plays in the PSP
joker12187 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
joker12187 plays in the APPA D4 division
deadlywinds carbon fibur barrels. its fully carbon fiber, and its compatible with freak inserts

2013 Axis Red - MiLP D5 Race to 2 - 3rd Overall in Series
2013 Downfall - World Cup D5 Race to 2 - 7th Place
2014 Axis - MiLP D4 Race to 4 - 3rd Overall in Series

WTT Deadlywind 12in Carbon Fibur w/ full freak kit for a .688 Dye CF Boomy Back - PM if interested!

middletennesseepaintball.com
joker12187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 PM #13
dirtraven

has been a member for 10 years
dirtraven is playing at Living Legends VII
dirtraven owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dirtraven supports Team VICIOUS
if you do get a techT bolt, I'd recommend the Kush version instead. Soft tip and a more open face bolt than the Hush's venturi face.

Good Ole Autococker

Red Camo/Blackened GTi
dirtraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM #14
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtraven View Post
if you do get a techT bolt, I'd recommend the Kush version instead. Soft tip and a more open face bolt than the Hush's venturi face.
Yep.

This is a great video for anyone trying to decide between the two. In the end, i chose a Kush bolt for my Ego's because it gives you the highest increase in FPS when switching to the bolt from stock... which you can then lower your HPR making the gun more efficient. With its rubber face, it is also softer on paint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jiN8BrzWI

Last edited by peacob : 12-02-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM #15
Lt. Tank
What would you ask God ?

Lt. Tank owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
why noone have asked if that 09 has been planked or barbed ?

I ask you now, does you 09 have a plank kit installed ? or the reduced flow barb ? having it installed might (I´m it might) make your 09 less louder (mine did). The rest have been said in all the post prior, bore to paint match and well ported barrel . I personally installed a hush bolt and yes, with all of the above there is a small sound diferent , small.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM #16
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
If you don't have the plank kit, get it. Then switch the valve for an LP valve. I thought my 09 with those parts was plenty quiet.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM #17
monty97
SAS Iowa-Team Havoc

Annual Supporting Member
monty97 is playing at Living Legends V
monty97 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monty97 supports Team VICIOUS
monty97 supports Team VICIOUS
monty97 plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJ View Post
If you don't have the plank kit, get it. Then switch the valve for an LP valve. I thought my 09 with those parts was plenty quiet.
This man speaks the truth, I installed a set of planks in one of my 09's last week and to me it sounded like a big difference.
monty97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM #18
PM7_user
My life for Aiur!

I do have the plank and barb kit so maybe that could make a difference. I'll have to look into the LP valve. I'm kind of new to owning an Ego so I've never even heard of it. Seems like lower pressure would equal lower sound though.

LeTourneau University
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 PM #19
Lt. Tank
What would you ask God ?

Lt. Tank owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM7_user View Post
I do have the plank and barb kit so maybe that could make a difference. .
Do or do not ? sounds like you ment to say don´t
Again , if don´t have it, get one asap.

About the LP valve .....mmmhh I´m not sure. All egos are different so it could be great making it smoother therefore more quiet..or it could not make a difference at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM #20
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
LP valve, LPR @ 2 turns in, dwell at 10.5 for stock (some have good results with going up to around 12 ms if you'd like to experiment). If you don't want user feedback sound as much, use a lid on your loader

For an 09 I'd do a full o-ring rebuild. The gun might feel and sound a lot healthier after that. Other than that underboring to the paint used helps.

It takes some getting used to if you've been shooting spool valves, judging by your username.
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM #21
sebastian aguirre

I have a 09 with plank kit, and would like to make it quieter, so I ordered a Dart bolt kit for a friends ego11, on the condition that I use it and test it in my marker first.
Will let you know how it goes, hopefully next week.
I really have not found one simple explanation about why older egos cant get the dart bolt.
sebastian aguirre is offline   Reply With Quote