turmoil
PTPer right here baby

turmoil is a Paintball photographer
turmoil plays in the PSP
turmoil is playing at Living Legends VII
turmoil supports Pev's Paintball
turmoil plays in the APPA D4 division
Crossfire re-hydro questions

Read some stickies and still a little confused about the 3/5 year hydro difference. Can someone help me out with this one. I know it was born on 05/04 and re-hydro'd on 01/10.

thanks!
turmoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM #2
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil View Post
Read some stickies and still a little confused about the 3/5 year hydro difference. Can someone help me out with this one. I know it was born on 05/04 and re-hydro'd on 01/10.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/xr3drumx13/20121021_185312.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/xr3drumx13/20121021_185306.jpg[IMG]

thanks!

DOT-E 10945 (now issued as DOT-SP 10945)

Structural Composites Industries (a.k.a. - SCI)

As per the DOT regs, it is both a 3 and 5-year hydro(<-----explanation below). Page 3, section 7, part c:

"c. TESTING: Cylinders retested prior to July 1, 2001 must be retested within 36 months of the retest date marked on the cylinder. Cylinders retested on or after July 1, 2001 must be reinspected and hydrostatically retested at least once every five years. Testing must be performed in accordance with 180.205, tested to 5/3 of the marked service pressure, and the latest edition of CGA pamphlet C-6.2 "Guidelines for Visual Inspection and Re-qualification of Fiber Reinforced High Pressure Cylinders", except as specifically noted herein:....."

DOT Regs for that specific tank manufacturer: http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...2009100597.pdf

With the "born on" date of 5 / 2004 - that tank should have had a rehydro by May 2009 ("born on" date is after 7/2001 so only the 5-year cycle applies). Looks like it was out of hydro for just over half a year.....no biggie as long as it wasn't being used. It is currently in hydro since it was done in January 2010. Next hydro test is due by January 2015. Now the tricky part comes after the NEXT hydro because AFTER the 1/2015 hydro, your tank is only good until 5/2019 (only 4 years and a few months - NOT 5 years). Why? Because the 15-year lifespan part of the regs kicks in and becomes the limiting factor. Have to remember that with CF tanks, it is typically a specific hydro cycle (per individual maker of cylinder) UP TO the lifespan of the tank - in this case...15 years.

Hope this answers your questions. If not, post up and I'll see if I can explain it a little better.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 AM #3
turmoil
PTPer right here baby

turmoil plays in the PSP
AWESOME explanation! thank you! I was leaning toward the 5-year hydro, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

I bought it used in February of 2010 so i'm guessing it was just sitting around for that year it was out of hydro.

So, it's 15 year lifespan for the tank or the reg? I'm contemplating putting an LP or SLP regulator on here so I can use it with my newer guns.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM #4
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil View Post
AWESOME explanation! thank you! I was leaning toward the 5-year hydro, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

I bought it used in February of 2010 so i'm guessing it was just sitting around for that year it was out of hydro.

So, it's 15 year lifespan for the tank or the reg? I'm contemplating putting an LP or SLP regulator on here so I can use it with my newer guns.
It is 15 years for the tank cylinder. NONE of the DOT regulations apply to the actual paintball regulator itself, only to the cylinder.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM #5
turmoil
PTPer right here baby

turmoil plays in the PSP
cool! thanks a bunch for the info
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM #6
CA_Tectonics

- No problem, any time.