Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM #1
vincib
Pandamonium

vincib is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
vincib owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
vincib supports Pev's Paintball
Thumbs up Had MicroSlick Dry Lube applied

So one of my markers is a Palmer's 2k Blazer. For those that dont know, a closed bolt, mechanical marker. With a few major moving parts and points of friction, I broke down and had Microslick applied by BandE Coatings to the Bolt and the hammer.
I'm not a paid advertiser but I will say BandE were really easy to deal with and the work was done quickly. I know I have read some horror stories on here about people sending parts and markers off to have stuff done and not seeing them for months etc. So its worth mentioning when a company is making an effort to be prompt and take care of customers, and thus they have earned my reccomendation if having a permanent dry lube applied to some parts is a curiosity of yours.

So here is before: Click Here

AND after:
PIC
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

I will say BandE did the job very fast considering it was Thanksgiving week.
I was able to reassemble the Blazer and fire off several shots. Everything works like a charm. I may get to the field this weekend to put a thousand or so shot on it and see what transpires. I expect nothing major except a possible drop in the LP Reg. The finish is grey just as a coloring so they know that it is coated completely. The surface has a finished appearance and is smooth.

My same review on Mcarterbrown with pics

Last edited by vincib : 11-30-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: picture fixes
vincib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM #2
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
That actually looks pretty cool but were the tolerances effected heavily? Which has lower friction, delrin or that coating?
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM #3
vincib
Pandamonium

The tolerances were not affected at all. As far as the resistance compared to delrin, I have no idea. Blazers never worked well with delrin bolts because the mechanics of the bolt and the pressures in the arm. From what I read the few delrin bolts made broke or cracked in Blazers. For a permamanent dry lube it's smooth and to the touch can notice no difference.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM #4
vincib
Pandamonium

PICTURE 1
PICTURE 2
PICTURE 3

So I ran it almost all day, game after game of speedball, probably put well over a thousand shots through it. The pictures above show the wear on the grey coloring, which is there so the coater knows it got completely covered. Its normal to wear off in the friction areas. The Micro Slick is clear and bonded to the metal itself. I didnt bother removing the ram just to inspect wear. The fact it has such wear is why I decided to have it applied, to reduce friction without sacrificing tolerances.

Everything worked flawlessly. I will say, and I have no idea if its due to the lubricity of the parts now, but my efficiency was pretty insane. I filled once to about 4k, went all day and still had 2k left, so about 3 pods and 4 hoppers filled on about 1.5k of air.

Based off of today, I dont expect there to be any problems from the micro slick and the overall benefits seems fairly apparent in this type of marker in the high friction areas. I did put a drop of oil in the asa before play and a drop on the bolt which I smeared around the 2 delrin rings.

Hope that is helpful to know if your considering this type of dry lube

Last edited by vincib : 12-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.
vincib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM #5
vincib
Pandamonium

Quote: from McarterBrown
Originally Posted by RedHairedTrev
Thanks for the update man! Sounds like a real worthwhile mod. Did you have to decrease your velocity?

This might be a question for the company, but would it be beneficial to coat the inside of the gun's chambers as well as the parts that reciprocate in them
?

Not sure what you mean when you say decrease my velocity. But I did have to turn things down (HPR & LPR) a bit further than before to keep it under 290fps, the field limit at Pevs. Just to add for a data point, the day started out around 40 degrees and by noon was about 62 degrees. So it was a really great day to be out.

If I was going to completely break down a marker or piecing one together I dont see how having it done to internal areas where there is friction would hurt anything and I would consider it.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM #6
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Sounds like a cool idea! Might be worthwhile to look into it if it holds up well in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincib View Post
Quote: from McarterBrown
Originally Posted by RedHairedTrev
Thanks for the update man! Sounds like a real worthwhile mod. Did you have to decrease your velocity?

This might be a question for the company, but would it be beneficial to coat the inside of the gun's chambers as well as the parts that reciprocate in them
?

Not sure what you mean when you say decrease my velocity. But I did have to turn things down (HPR & LPR) a bit further than before to keep it under 290fps, the field limit at Pevs. Just to add for a data point, the day started out around 40 degrees and by noon was about 62 degrees. So it was a really great day to be out.

If I was going to completely break down a marker or piecing one together I dont see how having it done to internal areas where there is friction would hurt anything and I would consider it.
I'm pretty sure he was asking if there was a difference in your velocity between the non-MicroSlick'd bolt and the MicroSlick'd bolt. But you already answered that.

If you have a spare bolt, it would be helpful if you tested the efficiency and velocity changes (at the same HPR & LPR and also at where both are at say.. 290fps) between a MicroSlick'd and non-MicroSlick'd bolt.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM #7
vincib
Pandamonium

Can't say I have a spare. But I wouldn't expect material breakdown even over some time. They use the stuff on engine pistons, but I'll try an update over time. I think one of the big questions to answer was the tolerance question and it seems mute at this point, which is a good thing.